Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

New Rex SkyForce 3D - The ASN Killer?

I woudn't mind them replying to the questions i have put before too.

Either way, from the video they say that Rex Sky Force is "True, true cloud classification models, we created every cloud model to the true counterpart, a real world cloud classification", then they go more into details about fixing the Overcast (while before the technique used was adding more layers of clouds and leading to a drop of performance), and then 100 miles storm systems for example.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

s REX Sky Force 3D ONLY textures or does it also include a weather engine (with downloadable real-time weather generation, for instance?)
Seems someone is claiming that this is 'only' textures

There is an interview with the REX team on AirDailyX.  Watch that.

There is an interview with the REX team on AirDailyX.  Watch that.

I have - twice! But doesn't really give an answer...

What I asked, was whether there was going to be an weather engine with live weather depiction in REX Sky Force 3D... I can find information regarding that their weather system depiction is based on Real-World Classifications... but not really anything about whether there's a actual Weather Engine in it (there should be, since they build weather-systems?)...

... but as I said - I'm a little confused... 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I can say for a fact that I have taken that flight using AS16/ASCA and NOT seen the ground. Lots of work has been done in that area with P3D.

You'll be able to use the free trial for yourself shortly.

Vic

Thanks, Vic! I'm really looking forward to trying AS16. Weather is so important in FS and is currently so far off from reality. Can't wait to see improvements in that area...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Me, too. I understand that they completely changed the depiction of wheather in the sim, but will this work alongside a weather engine or is it a weather engine itself? The interview on ADX really doesn't help to answer that question...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

What I asked, was whether there was going to be an weather engine with live weather depiction in REX Sky Force 3D... I can find information regarding that their weather system depiction is based on Real-World Classifications... but not really anything about whether there's a actual Weather Engine in it (there should be, since they build weather-systems?)...

... but as I said - I'm a little confused...

Regardless of whether they have a weather engine or not, I'd prefer Active Sky as my W.E and REX for the graphics - much as I do now. The question then is whether Active Sky is capable of exploiting the huge database of cloud types which REX have spoken about. You are right. It's still vague. But Active Sky now has ASCA. So perhaps making REX redundant for me. Who knows!  Exciting times

• Upvote 1

Just viewed the Rex vid, and while I'm a big fan of Rex's customer support, I'm confused as to what exactly their Sky Force product line actually is or isn't and how it's supposed to work?? :S

Looked on their web page and the link to Sky Force product development page is dead...so they've released a video, which isn't clear what it really shows, and there's no apparent info on their own site?  Is there a copy of the presentation that they had on in the background to the ADX interview available anywhere please - it's clearly not secret?

Am I missing something here? :sad:

Lots more cloud types - check

Better textures with bump mapping - check

Smooth weather transitions? - unclear?

New weather examples? - unclear?

Compared to Hifi Technologies, who have separate websites for their new products..at least some info out there in public...

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Am I missing something here? :sad:

In the interview one of the REX guys said to give them suggestions and feed back, so, how about sorting your info out before you go public? The interview seemed a shambles with Tim reading stuff off the screen with his back turned, like he didn't know his own product, or would only talk in soundbites. With a product maybe less than three months away they must know pretty much all there is to know and therefore should be able to gives clear answers to these queries.

I love what REX do but sometimes they are maddening with info and releases like the Soft Cloud debacle.

• Upvote 2

I too dont understand if its "textures only" or if its the whole weather Engine. 

Must also confess myself slightly confused. Looks beautiful but is it something I can use in conjunction with ASN? Thought all those fancy effects and clouds would need a "pre-programmed" weather engine to specifically display these new weather systems. Now we have a very well-renowned weather engine developer, HiFi, also developing a theming software. Where does that fit in with this? Are they the two competing products, ASCA and Sky Force? 

It'll be a tall order if you ask people to move away from ASN, I think.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

My understanding is that they have completely redone how weather is generated/depicted/displayed and can be used with other weather engines.  This itself does not include a WX engine.  HiFi has indicated a similar thing and reading between the lines appears the new AS 2016 will work with Rex SkyForce.  The smooth weather and texture changes that AS2016 allows appear to only occur if you use HiFI's new ASCA textures...but REX indicated in the interview they will be working to allow that to happen with SkyForce as well.  That's what I gathered out of all the info I have seen so far.....but as stated, it's not super clear at the moment.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

My understanding is that they have completely redone how weather is generated/depicted/displayed and can be used with other weather engines.  This itself does not include a WX engine.  HiFi has indicated a similar thing and reading between the lines appears the new AS 2016 will work with Rex SkyForce.  The smooth weather and texture changes that AS2016 allows appear to only occur if you use HiFI's new ASCA textures...but REX indicated in the interview they will be working to allow that to happen with SkyForce as well.  That's what I gathered out of all the info I have seen so far.....but as stated, it's not super clear at the moment.

True... that's what I've gathered also... but - doesn't weather depiction rely on a weather engine?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

I think it is a cloud generator engine. Since it is going to be able to change your clouds in real time it's going to have a user interface and the program  ( I assume) has to be running in the background. It can use any weather generator including the FSX one.

They are also going to be working on a weather generator but for that program I believe they didn't have anything to show.

That is what I was able to get from the REX team at FlightSimCon.

The textures for Rex will change on the fly.

I would really love for someone from the REX team, to chime in, and 'spread the clouds' so to speak 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--