Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Aerofly FS2 Heavy

Some quick pictures to convey my impression of just how pretty this sim is!

aerofly_fs_screenshot_06_20160625-001944

aerofly_fs_screenshot_28_20160625-002536

aerofly_fs_screenshot_17_20160625-002208

aerofly_fs_screenshot_27_20160625-002527

aerofly_fs_screenshot_29_20160625-002603

• Upvote 2

Thx Devon, for sharing those beautiful shots!

I will buy it this week too :-)

It's in the Promotional Sales at Steam, until July 4 :-))))

Nice shots! Going to do a few flights in this sim now that the high-res pack is out.

No sale here, either. One tip about Steam: If you add a product to your "Wishlist", you'll be notified whenever it's on sale.

Indeed it is beautiful. I don't like the distorted fish-eye zoom shots though, sorry.

Does it have any ATC or AI traffic. What's the weather generation like?

Indeed it is beautiful. I don't like the distorted fish-eye zoom shots though, sorry.

Does it have any ATC or AI traffic. What's the weather generation like?

Mark, I decided that possibly the best way to cover many bases and answer your questions at the same time is to post one of the Steam reviews from an experienced flyer, so here goes: (Just keep in mind the program is early access and still evolving!) 

As an old flyer I owned another lately released flight sim and was curious to compare Aerofly FS2 with the other one (knowing, that the intentions of the two differ a little).

Yes, this is not meant to be a full blown simulator (as the other product). Provided that, I was surprised how many of the systems are implemented in Aerofly FS 2. But many (crucial) systems are not.

Pros:

- nice scenery (good graphic engine!!!); very fluidly on ultra settings; gives a much better sense of flying than other stuttering sims (including recently released ones)

- many nav aids available, including ILS

- good variety of airplanes; well modeled

- acceptable physics

- short loading times

- nice views

- easy flight planning (for unpatient pilots)

Cons:

- some important systems are not implemented (yet)

- no ATC (yet); at least some background chatter would improve the atmosphere highly

- bad sounds (aircraft)

- no real weather (yet?)

- no weather presets

- limited scenery/area (west coast US)

- needs more 3D objects (trees, buildings, etc.)

Conclusion:

For a quick ride this is the right product. Very nice graphic engine. Dovetail should get together with these guys, regarding the engine. I know that the area to fly is limited. But with the fast loading times and the fluid graphics - even on ultra settings - I see much potential for more. Some systems need to be implemented as quick as possible as they are crucial for the product as it's meant to be used:

- LNAV for all airplanes (since you're not able to fly you flightplan automatically without LNAV); at this time it's only implemented in B747 and B737

- the autopilot needs also be improved on most of the airplanes. For example you're not able to set vertical speed on the Learjet (you have to use shortcuts). NAV mode is mostly not implemented; In the B747 you're even not able to tune any radio NAV. Also VNAV would be a nice to have

- more detailed configurations for the main instruments (PFD, ND Lear)

- radio navigation (two NAVs on all modern planes, ADF, etc.)

- Real weather and weather presets

- ability to safe and load flightplans

- ATC chatter (at least, just for the atmosphere)

- AI traffic (you feel very alone in the air)

- better sounds for the aircraft's

- exterior lights should actually emit light!!

I wish to see more scenery, knowing that this means a lot of work. Overall I was surprised by the qualitiy of the product. It seems I expected less. For now Aerofly FS 2 is better than Flight School from Dovetail. Especially regarding the scenery and graphics engine!! Here you can see where to go in that matter!!! But also the variety of planes is well balanced. The physics are ok. Could be much better for a product which tries to sell itself with the slogan "highly realistic physics"

(Just keep in mind the program is early access and still evolving!) ....

Ah, I'd forgotten that. thanks. :cool:

Well, it certainly looks like a good start. As you say, very pretty.

It's a powerful platform, even if at an early stage it's flight dynamics are truly remarkable and unique among the presently available offers...

It's a powerful platform, even if at an early stage it's flight dynamics are truly remarkable and unique among the presently available offers...

In various forums, I've seen the price mentioned, but I think its more than worth it when you fairly total up the value of whats offered.

16 beautifully rendered aircraft of all sorts.

More than 150 detailed airports, many major ones of payware quality.

Nearly three states worth of photo-scenery totaling nearly 90Gb

A flight school with more than 20 lessons

64 bit platform with excellent frame rates

Whole earth coverage (albeit most at low resolution but suitable for higher altitude flight)

Several detailed (but incomplete) cities.

The question I asked was, how much would our favorite 3rd parties charge for that combination? I don't know, but I suspect quite a bit more than $49.99!  :p0504:

• Upvote 1