Thanks for posting that Manny. I am currently on an I7 3770K at 4.5Ghz and was thinking about upgrading. Think I'll just stay with what I have.

Ted

That's why I'm staying on my I7-4770K not worth the gain :-)

André

If true, this seems to change the scene..hope its reliable, though difficult to believe

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-benchmarks/

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

A 40% jump in single thread is incredible, however there is now some doubt about those numbers with the z170 chipset compatibility. If this requires a new z270 mobo this will be a real pisser. Might have to upgrade if the 40% jump turns out to be accurate though, too good to pass up!

• Upvote 1

If a 40% increase in single thread performance requires a new Z270 motherboard, then that's a small price to pay.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That's not comparing like for like though. The 7700K has a higher frequency, 4.5 GHz Turbo. Even so, it's impressive.... IF true. 

4.8 plus overclocking maybe, as long as the thermals aren't bonkers.

Prepare to be disappointed though, I've lost count of how many times these exaggerated claims are made when a new chip arrives.

6700K TDP is 91 Watts. This guy is 95 Watts. Doesn't sound much different, but not sure of the impact in terms of thermals. 

To be fair, when did we ever compare "like for like" in the past? If Intel can squeeze out increased clock frequency without increasing CPU temperatures (we will need to wait and see), then that's good news. If these early results turn out to be authentic, then I may just have an upgrade option after all :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I simply doubt those 40%. As it is, the 7700K is basically the identical CPU chip as the 6700K, just with some minor adaptations around it. Those 40% are based on a single benchmark, most probably not even close to be representative for what we would see in P3D/FSX. So no, while the 7700K might add the one or the other argument for people like me (with a 3770K) to finally upgrade, it is certainly not worth for those already running a DDR4 platform with a 6700K.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

To be fair, when did we ever compare "like for like" in the past? If Intel can squeeze out increased clock frequency without increasing CPU temperatures

So Skylake OC'd at 4.6 and 70 degrees, and 7700K at 4.8 plus and 70 degrees for example... seriously doubt it when the TDP is higher. That would require a much lower TDP wouldn't it, not higher? Not possible.

Are they using TIM between IHS and Die for this chip, or epoxy solder? If there are any improvements there it might help. 

I simply doubt those 40%. As it is, the 7700K is basically the identical CPU chip as the 6700K, just with some minor adaptations around it. Those 40% are based on a single benchmark, most probably not even close to be representative for what we would see in P3D/FSX. So no, while the 7700K might add the one or the other argument for people like me (with a 3770K) to finally upgrade, it is certainly not worth for those already running a DDR4 platform with a 6700K.

Yep agree with all you say. But we live in hope. Just refining an architecture doesn't usually equate to such big gains.

The thing is, that for people who think to upgrade now (like me on an Ivy bridge) it is a risk. Even if I doubt the +40%, I can't spend 800$ and risk the benchmark to be true...tough choise

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Oh, I agree that we need a lot more information before we can come to any definitive conclusion. I am just hoping that it is true :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Geekbench 4 is very sensitive to CPU speed and memspeed.

Its only a Gigabyte teaser, no settings at all

Example a fast test with a 6700k on a asus mobo 4.2ghz mem 3600 XMP 5700

Wait and see , 40% is a big improvment

Well, take older CPUs as comparison. For example a 6700K gets between 12% (Multicore) and 17% (Singlecore) higher scores in Geekbench compared with a 4790K. Comparing the 6700K with my 3770K in Geekbench, the 6700K is a solid 33% (Multicore) or 127% (!!!, singlecore) faster. Now you can judge yourself how relevant those 40% increase are when comparing 6700K and 7700K in regard of P3D/FSX...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

ill be going for this upgrade. 4770k at the moment, was thinking about the 6700k but in the end, dont think that would be worth it.

single thread improvements look good on the new chip!

Clarification i dont think Its a 40% improvment 5-7% on clockspeed and optimations 2-3% ,

Wait and see .......

Clarification i dont think Its a 40% improvment 5-7% on clockspeed and optimations 2-3% ,

Wait and see .......

The voice of reason and sanity...

Greg