Sign in to follow this  
prdant

X-plane is very jerky (Windows 10 and driver issues)

I've been running the anniversary update for some time, as I installed from a clean ISO containing the update some time back, rather than waiting for the Windows Update release. I also disabled Windows Update, so I didn't get the 'performance crasher' updates released under the Anniversary Update. However, in the past few days / past week, I've seen my performance drop by 5, 10 or even 15FPS consistently. Not getting the 1-2FPS bug but just a solid performance drop across the board. I could happily sit at KLAX, looking out over the town and get north of 30FPS. Now, it's not uncomming for it to hit 18-19.

So I do suspect the Nvidia Drivers are also to blame, as mentioned.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Howdy, Will we ever definitively know when and if this issue is fixed?

I think it's worth mentioning again that this isn't something that's affecting everyone. My Win 10 system is liquid smooth with the latest build of X-Plane and Windows 10. I'm getting very high frame rates up in the high 50's and up to even 90 fps when it's a window with few clouds. No problems at all swapping back and forth between windows. For what it's worth, my current Win10 version looks like this:

---------------------------------

Edition: Windows 10 home

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.187

Hardware: i7 6700 4,0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 970 (running latest Nvidia drivers)

---------------------------------

This is a new machine that I had to pick up recently when the old one died, so it's stripped down and not full of DLL rot from older software. I don't know if that's a consideration or not, but sometimes that's an issue if you have a bunch of stuff running in the background that's interrupting heavy CPU/GPU applications like flight sims.

X-Plane runs smooth as glass on this machine. I know this isn't much consolation to those having problems, but as a data point in helping to track things down, I think it's important to note that not everyone is seeing this. It's not a generic Microsoft/Open GL problem that's affecting everyone. It still needs to be addressed for anyone having trouble with unusually low frame rates.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Same here Parafin, although win 10 Pro 64.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think it's worth mentioning again that this isn't something that's affecting everyone. My Win 10 system is liquid smooth with the latest build of X-Plane and Windows 10. I'm getting very high frame rates up in the high 50's and up to even 90 fps when it's a window with few clouds. No problems at all swapping back and forth between windows.

It might be worth pointing out that the framerate drop / OpenGL issue (that is, if you have the latest cumulative updates installed) isn't an automatic, every-time type of problem. Earlier in this thread, I didn't think I had it either. To date, I've only seen it on three occasions - one was within 5 minutes of take off, one was after an hour and a half of flying, and the other one was at some other random time.  I've done at least several flights where I switched windows extensively and it never showed.

Since it appears to be random, and not repeatable on demand (although posts from MS seems to indicate that they have been successful in recreating the issue), you could indeed have the issue and have just been lucky so far.  :wink:

• Upvote 2

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I dunno... it's possible that the issue is here and just hasn't kicked in yet. But I've been flying FSE assignments lately where I'm in the air for an hour to an hour and a half (real time), and during the flight I do a lot of swapping windows back and forth to Plan-G or the Chrome web browser. Since this thread was posted, I've been keeping an eye on it, and I've never seen a frame rate drop.

I can only think of two things that might be different compared to other people having problems. One is that I'm not pushing too many pixels. I usually fly X-Plane in a window taking up maybe 75% of a single monitor running at 1920x1200, not a big multi-screen setup or a 4K screen. 

The other possible variable is that the plane I'm flying (Turbo Goose) isn't very complicated. It does use a plugin for a few features, but it's not as resource intensive as one of the high-end airliners. 

Other than that, no clue why this system would be any different.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Microsoft just released new cumulative Anniversary Bugdate: KB3194496

Regards,

Radek

Did it solve it ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Did it solve it ?

Nope. Just tried alt-tabbing multiple times and my frames dropped to single digits.

Uninstalling bugdate.

Regards,

Radek

I can only think of two things that might be different compared to other people having problems. One is that I'm not pushing too many pixels. I usually fly X-Plane in a window taking up maybe 75% of a single monitor running at 1920x1200, not a big multi-screen setup or a 4K screen.

Perhaps that you have XP in window mode is key? I might test that out.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I also run Xplane in window mode and I'm experiencing these issues.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

:-(

I wonder if it also affects Aerofly FS 2, since it's also OpenGL-based... AFAIK

Main Simulation Rig:

Just putting this out there in case anybody else is experiencing the same issue with the IXEG 733...I am getting random screen flashes when using the IXEG 733, not sure if its to do with the latest Windows update as every other method I have tried hasn't fixed the issue. My Nvidia drivers aren't affecting it. 

Same here, updated to latest XP10.51 beta, started a session, fps 30+, and then, after a while, they start getting to single digits :-/

Main Simulation Rig: