For some time, there have been modified Garmin GPS500s that have a Radar capability and show aircraft as yellow icons. Can you implement that in JFS?  

It seems that certain stand alone radars already work, I will ask around and report back as to which ones these are.

Can you include a routine if the executable to check for an already running instance of JFS and then stop the second instance actually running? This happened today, and the second instance  took JFS out and killed it. 

Yes, I am going to look at the radar issue. Apparently there are some ATC radar tools that don't show JoinFS aircraft at the moment. It should be possible.

Did the second instance crash happen when you ran it, or when you clicked Create or Join? Strangely enough, I had just put a fix in for a crash this morning for when you click Join on the second instance. It now shows a message saying that you can't use the same network port. However, I think you're right, there's not really any need to run a second instance. I do it here for testing purposes, but otherwise it's unnecessary. Anyway, I'll add a check as you suggested.

Impressive five hour flight. Time passes quickly when you're flying with friends :smile:

Best regards,

Peter

[Clip]

Impressive five hour flight. Time passes quickly when you're flying with friends :smile:

[/Clip]

Good friends, too. 

The Radar question was prompted by a member asking

"When are we doing ATC again"

This, I couldn't answer. 

We are not that far from going public with our group, and advertising our presence on the web. 

You multiplayer utility is going to be our connection system based on its simplicity of operation and your brilliant support. 

I need a P3D user now, so we can prove that to him, and learn the idiosyncrasies for ourselves. 

This makes me ask, from the JFS point of view, is there any difference in the versions of P3D?

B

Hi Bob,

I doubt the version of P3D will make much difference. I could be wrong and perhaps someone else could chip in with an answer. But basically JoinFS uses functionality in SimConnect that's been around for quite a while, so I think both older versions and new versions of P3D will function correctly with JoinFS. Unfortunately, I don't have P3D (yet), so I'm having to rely on feedback from people that do in order to make sure it is fully supported.

So, short answer, no, there shouldn't be any differences.

Peter

I've just had time to test this with around 7 other players.

We were all using a mixture of simulators (STEAM, BOXED, P3D) and all seemed to work very well with no lag issues detected.

Very nice program.

The default tower did not show any aircraft on radar.

I have a program that I created to solve this problem using an FSD network.

I ran this program and all the traffic then showed on the radar.

If you would like the code to implement into your program let me know as it would then allow for us ATC to control aircraft using this software and the default FSX radar.

It's a small amount of code around 2 lines that uses Simconnect.

Let me know,

Roo

atcroo@gmail.com

www.msflights.net

Yes, I am going to look at the radar issue. Apparently there are some ATC radar tools that don't show JoinFS aircraft at the moment. It should be possible.

Did the second instance crash happen when you ran it, or when you clicked Create or Join? Strangely enough, I had just put a fix in for a crash this morning for when you click Join on the second instance. It now shows a message saying that you can't use the same network port. However, I think you're right, there's not really any need to run a second instance. I do it here for testing purposes, but otherwise it's unnecessary. Anyway, I'll add a check as you suggested.

Best regards,

Peter

Not sure if re-posting @ATC_Roo's remark from ~ 10 days ago sheds any light on the solution for this but I added it just in case there's something in there that helps with this issue.

Al and I use the Garmin GTN 750 GPS and this does pick up and display the other traffic (symbol for position, altitude difference and audible warning if traffic is close also sounds correctly).  Had this running when I joined a session with Bob and some of his guys flying and all aircraft were displayed - added this bit of info just in case there are any hints to what needs to be done to make this work for all variations on the radar and GPS systems in use.

I have radar installed in some aircraft so will test that when I have a chance.

Dan

I have tested the default FSX radar and joinfs vigorously over the last week or so.

I'm assuming the radar addons that work with JoinFS are using FSUIPC?

I've come across this problem in the past getting Simconnect radar/tcas systems working with addon networks, so I wrote a small program mentioned above.

I use the modified gps500/295 too and can confirm the traffic from JoinFS will show on them and the default FSX radar using the program.

I haven't gotten around to sending Peter the code he needs yet and it sounds like he is very busy anyway, but Im more than happy to share the program if that's what people were looking for?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q-ueQpbIY1NjJxUlR5d081dHM/view?usp=sharing

I have tested the default FSX radar and joinfs vigorously over the last week or so.

I'm assuming the radar addons that work with JoinFS are using FSUIPC?

I've come across this problem in the past getting Simconnect radar/tcas systems working with addon networks, so I wrote a small program mentioned above.

I use the modified gps500/295 too and can confirm the traffic from JoinFS will show on them and the default FSX radar using the program.

I haven't gotten around to sending Peter the code he needs yet and it sounds like he is very busy anyway, but Im more than happy to share the program if that's what people were looking for?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q-ueQpbIY1NjJxUlR5d081dHM/view?usp=sharing

Roo:

Should this be placed in a specific folder?  Other requirements to make this work properly?

Thanks,

Dan

Place it anywhere (I have it on my desktop for easy access).

It doesn't install in anyway.

To run it, just double click it and then minimise it.

Should help those looking to control until Peter implements similar into his program.

Place it anywhere (I have it on my desktop for easy access).

It doesn't install in anyway.

To run it, just double click it and then minimise it.

Should help those looking to control until Peter implements similar into his program.

Thanks!

Dan

I am having a strange problem with JoinFS ver 1.0.5. When I click on its shortcut icon JoinFS seems to start (as confirmed by the Win10 Task Manager) and an icon appears on the Task Bar, but the JoinFS window does not open no matter what I try including running JoinFS as Administrator . Anyone else having this problem?

Thx,

Al

EDIT:  After further investigation, it seems that when the above problem occurs, the JoinFS window is opening 'off screen' for some reason and has to be recovered using the Move option  (right click on the border of the small window that appears when you hover the mouse over the task bar icon) in concert with the appropriate move keys (shift, window and arrow keys).

Peter: Do you haven to know where the JoinFS window coordinates are stored? If they are stored in a text file somewhere, editing that file may be the easiest way to recover a missing JoinFS window.

Al

Here's a strange one for you Peter. Picture this if you can: A friend and I are flying formation. He is lead and I am wing. We go into a loop and I've got him pretty well where he should be. When we get to the top of the loop he suddenly begins to spin. "Good grief! You're spinning" said I. "No I'm not" said he. On the downside of the loop he reappears at my 10 o/c and the loop is completed.(more or less)

This has never happened in FSX multiplayer and it looks as though JoinFS lost focus for a while.

Just to redress the balance, a formation loop has been impossible in other attempts at what you are doing, never mind missing the bit at the top.

If you think you can figure out why this is happening it would make a good thing even better. In fact, I would say perfect. Never mind adding lots of other 'stuff'.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

EDIT:  After further investigation, it seems that when the above problem occurs, the JoinFS window is opening 'off screen' for some reason and has to be recovered using the Move option  (right click on the border of the small window that appears when you hover the mouse over the task bar icon) in concert with the appropriate move keys (shift, window and arrow keys).

Peter: Do you haven to know where the JoinFS window coordinates are stored? If they are stored in a text file somewhere, editing that file may be the easiest way to recover a missing JoinFS window.

Al

Hi Al, yes I now save the main JoinFS window coordinates along with the View windows as well. It seems strange that you lost the window though. I don't know why that would happen. I default the position to 100, 100 initially, I wonder if that caused it.

The window position is stored in the Registry, Software/Peter Memmott/JoinFS (TEST)/ MainFormX and MainFormY.

I'll change this so that rather than using the default values, it tells Windows to use the normal default (pre-1.0.5)

Here's a strange one for you Peter. Picture this if you can: A friend and I are flying formation. He is lead and I am wing. We go into a loop and I've got him pretty well where he should be. When we get to the top of the loop he suddenly begins to spin. "Good grief! You're spinning" said I. "No I'm not" said he. On the downside of the loop he reappears at my 10 o/c and the loop is completed.(more or less)

This has never happened in FSX multiplayer and it looks as though JoinFS lost focus for a while.

Just to redress the balance, a formation loop has been impossible in other attempts at what you are doing, never mind missing the bit at the top.

If you think you can figure out why this is happening it would make a good thing even better. In fact, I would say perfect. Never mind adding lots of other 'stuff'.

Hi Ron,

Oh yes, this is a well known bug :smile: I have tried to fix it in previous versions with some simple tweaks, but it seems that I'll need to implement a proper solution to solve it. It's next on the list as it's an important issue.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Al, yes I now save the main JoinFS window coordinates along with the View windows as well. It seems strange that you lost the window though. I don't know why that would happen. I default the position to 100, 100 initially, I wonder if that caused it.

The window position is stored in the Registry, Software/Peter Memmott/JoinFS (TEST)/ MainFormX and MainFormY.

I'll change this so that rather than using the default values, it tells Windows to use the normal default (pre-1.0.5)

Peter

The problem may occur because I move back and forth between two screens. If it were easy to keep the coordinates in an ini file that was convenient to get to and edit if necessary that might be a reasonable solution. I'm always a bit reluctant to mess around in the Registry, but 'fixing' the coordinates there if needed is certainly doable. And if the problem is unique to me, you probably should not change anything.

Al

Yes, that's almost certainly the cause, Al. I believe the desktop coordinates are split over the two screens. Quite a few people have multi-monitor, so I've now changed it so that it uses Windows default location when you first run it, and then remembers it after that.

Thanks,

Peter.

Yes, that's almost certainly the cause, Al. I believe the desktop coordinates are split over the two screens. Quite a few people have multi-monitor, so I've now changed it so that it uses Windows default location when you first run it, and then remembers it after that.

Thanks,

Peter.

Peter,

Wow -- that was fast!  Thank you very much.

Al

Oh yes, this is a well known bug :smile: I have tried to fix it in previous versions with some simple tweaks, but it seems that I'll need to implement a proper solution to solve it. It's next on the list as it's an important issue.

It's good you know about it. Good luck with finding the lil' devil. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.