Sign in to follow this  
PaulFWatts

REX Worldwide Airports HD 1st Impressions

I am trying to decide, but one thing that is not clear in the manual is once you create a theme, that gets applied to all airports worldwide. Can you then come back and change just an individual airport of your choice? If you make a new theme for that airport of choice it seems like that new theme gets applied to all other airports as well. In other words, you can't really control what you get at a specific airport, can you?If you load 

When you load the new texture sets in is changes all of them, with the exception that you can select different sets for different size hangars and there are two selections for buildings. Lots of variety but not one airport specific.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I found a big impact of FPS with the HD textures.  I will try the default textures and see if that is better.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

I found a big impact of FPS with the HD textures.  I will try the default textures and see if that is better.

I was just going to ask about that, because at first I used the default textures ( the lower res ones, don't know why they call it default, that is confusing), then I loaded the HD textures and it looked about the same to me. Guess if there is no appreciable difference in looks on my system, I will stick with the lower res set.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I was just going to ask about that, because at first I used the default textures ( the lower res ones, don't know why they call it default, that is confusing), then I loaded the HD textures and it looked about the same to me. Guess if there is no appreciable difference in looks on my system, I will stick with the lower res set.  

Well if you are at one of the 20 custom airports that the MS team had created, then there will not be much of a difference, because we have not fixed those yet.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Well if you are at one of the 20 custom airports that the MS team had created, then there will not be much of a difference, because we have not fixed those yet.

I went to about 5 different airports, only one that looked custom was KATL. So what kind of FPS hit should one expect with HD textures versus SD, percentage wise?

I have seen no quantifiable hit to FPS using the HD textures at small and large airports. Sim is set to 2048 texture quality.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds. So Runways, Taxi ways and lights are catered for. I also have Orbx installed pretty much world wide with several Fly Tampa airports.

So my question is this, how does World wide Airports HD select which airports to modify? I don't want any Orbx airports altered, or any Fly Tampa airports altered.

Will there be an option to select specific airports on which to apply these textures? Or does the program operate on all airports. Ideally I would like some control over which airports are to be modified.

I am guessing this program is better suited to a basic install of P3d/FSX.

Best Regards

David

I have REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds. So Runways, Taxi ways and lights are catered for. I also have Orbx installed pretty much world wide with several Fly Tampa airports.

So my question is this, how does World wide Airports HD select which airports to modify? I don't want any Orbx airports altered, or any Fly Tampa airports altered.

Will there be an option to select specific airports on which to apply these textures? Or does the program operate on all airports. Ideally I would like some control over which airports are to be modified.

Best Regards

David

I have Rex TD, and Rex advises to disable the airports and  runways/taxiways  in TD all except  "surface refraction"  I did and I think it looks better with world airport textures. The program only changes default textures, not any add on airports. 

see this thread.   http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42447-how-to-configure-rex4-texture-direct-with-worldwide-airports-hd/

David

Hi David,

The new REX product will ONLY change the textures at "stock" default airports. 3rd party scenery or MS/P3D enhanced default airports will NOT be touched (mind you, the +- 20 MS/P3D enhanced default airports will be fixed in REX's next release) so there's no worry your 3rd party airport textures will be touched. I've pretty much got all the Orbx regions for N.America and only airports using the stock MS/P3D SDK textures are being touched so again, no worry about any Orbx enhanced airports being touched by REX.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

David

Well, actually this addon does not modify airports. All it does is replace default airport textures with new better looking textures. It works just as it does with cloud texture replacements or ground texture replacements. So when you load an airport it simply loads the same files it always loads only this time those files are actually the improved textures. And it does this with ALL default airports. You can't pick which airports are being changed. The sim has no idea things have changed.

Addon payware airports usually use their own textures so they won't load those new default textures because REX only overwrites default ones. If an addon airport accidentally does use one or two default textures somewhere, those one or two textures will also be the new REX ones.

If you only fly to Orbx and Fly Tampa airports this addon won't do you any good. It's main point is to make default airports look less horrible. (But since it only replaces textures and not 3D buildings things will still look rather bad.)

If the developer places a default airport building in the Orbx scenery, which they sometimes do, it will get a texture makeover. Even JV at Orbx said it would be a welcomed improvement, in those particular cases.

If the developer places a default airport building in the Orbx scenery, which they sometimes do, it will get a texture makeover. Even JV at Orbx said it would be a welcomed improvement, in those particular cases.

And it changes runways, and taxiways, and lighting which look much improved. I really like the new lighting. 

If an addon airport accidentally does use one or two default textures somewhere, those one or two textures will also be the new REX ones.

Thanks, that's very interesting. Sounds like a very clever program!

If you only fly to Orbx and Fly Tampa airports this addon won't do you any good. It's main point is to make default airports look less horrible. (But since it only replaces textures and not 3D buildings things will still look rather bad.

Yes there are some shockers.

I guess a case of buy it, try it and just use the backups if I don't like it! At the discounted price its not a risky purchase!

Cheers all.

If an addon airport accidentally does use one or two default textures somewhere, those one or two textures will also be the new REX ones.

Yes, here is an example with pics: 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/497496-rex-worldwide-airports-hd-released-bitmap-resolution/?p=3507164

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Keep in mind, 

Installation will change your config texture_max_load to 4096. 

I wondered why there was an adjustment in VAS on my most recent flights.   

JH