Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

X-Plane 11 Beta 5 is out

Yes, the default C172 can now taxi (quite fast) at idle which is definitely not real-world. I also can't get it to idle at less than 1000 rpm even with the throttle completely closed, which I am pretty sure is not right either.

The C172 is a wild horse out of the gate, which a huge difference from beta3, but not in a good way.  I tried adjusting the engine specs through planemaker but nothing worked.  The only workaround I found to do was keep the mixture as lean as possible without stalling, but even then the aircraft still wants to buck out of the gate.  The idle is set way too high than it was before.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the adjustments to fix it, even if it's possible.

Other than that, I turned down reflections to stop the flickering, but frames are still lower than beta3.  Something just doesn't feel right now with this release and now I may have to sit and wait until this stuff is fixed.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

...and now I may have to sit and wait until this stuff is fixed.

That's to be expected with a beta.  That's why they also gave you X-Plane 10 so you could have nice, stable software to play with while they work on X-Plane 11.

• Upvote 2

The C172 is a wild horse out of the gate, which a huge difference from beta3, but not in a good way.  I tried adjusting the engine specs through planemaker but nothing worked.

Don't try to fix things like this in Planemaker when a new beta comes out, because a change like this isn't related to individual .acf files. You'll just screw it up when the problem is fixed in the next beta, and you still have those changes in the aircraft file.

It's normal for things to break when new features are added, and this one of them. No doubt, related to the "new flight models" with propellers and jets mention in the patch notes. Just ride with it, and wait for the next beta or the final release. 

• Upvote 5

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Don't try to fix things like this in Planemaker when a new beta comes out, because a change like this isn't related to individual .acf files. You'll just screw it up when the problem is fixed in the next beta, and you still have those changes in the aircraft file.

It's normal for things to break when new features are added, and this one of them. No doubt, related to the "new flight models" with propellers and jets mention in the patch notes. Just ride with it, and wait for the next beta or the final release. 

I won't argue or question the wait during beta but I'm trying to understand why if Austin felt that the flight models needed fixed, that what worked before now doesn't.  Beta3, the Cessna worked really well, now it doesn't so I ask where the progression comes into play?

I'm using XP11 Beta as is, not using 3rd party aircraft, or weather.  The only thing 3rd party is mesh, so I am testing the beta almost pure.  I'll contribute to the stack of bugs though and do my part.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I won't argue or question the wait during beta but I'm trying to understand why if Austin felt that the flight models needed fixed, that what worked before now doesn't.  Beta3, the Cessna worked really well, now it doesn't so I ask where the progression comes into play?

It's the Spaghetti Principle of software coding. You pull one noodle at the edge of the plate, and unexpected things happen on the other side because the noodles are intertwined.

Austin has been working on improving the propeller model, and it looks like an unintended consequence was added thrust for the same power settings we had before. It will be fixed, I'm sure. Especially if everyone does some testing and files bug reports.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It's the Spaghetti Principle of software coding. You pull one noodle at the edge of the plate, and unexpected things happen on the other side because the noodles are intertwined.

Austin has been working on improving the propeller model, and it looks like an unintended consequence was added thrust for the same power settings we had before. It will be fixed, I'm sure. Especially if everyone does some testing and files bug reports.

Spaghetti coding is actually pretty bad thing in software engineering. I hope it's not it. Lack of unit testing perhaps?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

The sky banding is improved in pb5. The huge bands are now gone, at least on my setup. The sky looks good at dawn and dusk.

There is still a little bit of banding if you look hard for it in pb5, but there has always been a little of that in X-Plane. You can see it in XP10 if you look hard enough for it at dawn and dusk. The banding in XP11 pb5 is maybe a tiny bit more visible than it was in XP10, but it's miles better than in the early betas with those huge color gaps.

That was one of the first things I checked - and for me the sky banding is still present, in a big, big way.

• Upvote 3

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

That was one of the first things I checked - and for me the sky banding is still present, in a big, big way.

Are you using Xenviro ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have sunset/sunrise sky flickering since beta 1 with HDR. I'm on GTX1080 . I wonder if they ever fix it

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Are you using Xenviro ?

No. Default skies & clouds.

Xenviro does not (yet) look like my cup o' tea.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Anyone have Morse code sound for the VOR in the 172 ?

Has the clouds been optimized ? i am over KHAF and it's raining using NOAA and my fps is 15 which is quite good for my laptop. Or is it again a placebo

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I think it is a bit odd that the effects vary so much from person to person. Many of you have gotten lousy or just deteriorated FPS whereas I have roughly the same but where I on beta3 had some microstuttering they seem to have vanished. 

The banding is still there and looks absolutely ridiculous. Not even annoyed by it, I just chuckle every time I see it..  :P

One positive change for me has to be the SSG747. On beta 3 it was utterly unusable. I am not exaggerating when I say I got 1 FPS (yes. ONE.) in it. But now on beta 5: 30 fps (like most of my other aircraft). 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Let it be out of Beta , it's still early 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I too have noticed this.  I don't know how to turn it off so that there are no airplanes flying around with me.  This was also true of B3.  I have AI aircraft turned off on the "Edit Flight" menu.

You go to the top right of the software page, and use Edit to make the choices get removed from the mask box, on the same page you call up an aircraft from your XP plane library.

Once you do that, you will not, or should not see further A.I. craft being generated from your plane library.  One other thing I noted about the A.I. in B5, was that if you do have some as installed, and you try to have the A.I. control your aircraft for take-off, you will get a 'stand-by' vocal from the routine, but then you just sit, with no further action.  That happened to me yesterday. I sat for 15 minutes, sipping coffee just to see what WILL happen. I finally had to turn off the A.I. controls the aircraft, and take manual control to move on out from my parked position. I also found many other vocalizations, that I have never yet heard from any prior release. Some could have been there, but were never called up.  Some of them, are totally unique, and are not heard in interaction with an ESP-driven ATC A.I.  

I would also like to have the choice, of having a male voice as if being spoken by the A.I. pilot or crew.  I have only heard of the female one.  If anybody does know, how to change that, I would appreciate in how to do so.  Is that choice available in a config file?

Disabling A.I worked for me. 

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD