Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

X-Plane PB8 is out

can someone try to park at lhbp in pb8 and see what happens. I reinstalled xp11 from scratch and loaded it up and Budapest is messed up still. the plane is below the tarmac sitting on grass, its a very strange bug....

I'll check that for you

IHBP does not show up in my data base hmm - oops I know why I dont fly there and didnt down load data - sorry cant help you need to conserve my hd space 

Rich Sennett

Ben already said it is NOT trivial.

I can understand it's not trivial, but I've hardly seen such a noticeably ugly visual bug in any other flight sim. I strongly hope it will be gone by the time X-Plane gets released on Steam, lest it could significantly lower users reviews.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I can understand it's not trivial, but I've hardly seen such a noticeably ugly visual bug in any other flight sim. I strongly hope it will be gone by the time X-Plane gets released on Steam, lest it could significantly lower users reviews.

Nor have I but I will bet it has something to do with new lighting in XP11 - moon phase etc. 

Rich Sennett

can someone try to park at lhbp in pb8 and see what happens. I reinstalled xp11 from scratch and loaded it up and Budapest is messed up still. the plane is below the tarmac sitting on grass, its a very strange bug....

I'm afraid that bug still exists, Sitting on grass while in cockpit switches between tarmac and grass when using external view, panning around the exterior view at lhbp also acts very strange 

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

And ?

He said he's at it :-)  for one of the upcoming betas.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

thanks for confirming its not just my setup :) hopefully they fix soon, havnt seen the bug at any other areas i fly in europe or US.

I'm afraid that bug still exists, Sitting on grass while in cockpit switches between tarmac and grass when using external view, panning around the exterior view at lhbp also acts very strange 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Extensive testing with a few different aircraft (all third party), in a few different places showed some uneven results. I think there's still some weird effects that interplay within the vsync setting, the AA setting, surrounding objects, and cockpit window glass on third party aircraft from XP10.

I posted a screen earlier showing my dramatic increase in frames in one particular scenery, with one particular plane. Reproducible results on multiple starts. However, switching to a different scene, with a bunch of static AI in front of me, and the issue was back... ~50's fps with no glass, ~30's fps with glass. Switching viewpoint out of the cabin in the same spot, immediate 60 fps.  Noteworthy that the default C172 is simply 60 fps in the same scene all the time.

Interestingly enough, the same aircraft (again using the vFlyteAir Traveler due to the ability to toggle all glass on and off) in Beti-X's CYBD Bella Coola with the exact same settings, simply pulls a steady mid 50's fps regardless of the visibility of the cockpit glass.

Now, it's easy to dismiss this all, since generally I'm pulling quite a high framerate, except that dramatic variance means there's something strange going on - it's either certain specific textures or objects, that when viewed through a semi-transparent texture with reflections, cause a drop in fps for some reason. It's not all textures or objects, just certain ones. It's noteworthy that they seem to have partially addressed this with pb7/8, because it means that it *can* be addressed.

I think that this is why some people are reporting fps increases and some aren't - it's varies widely depending on the aircraft and scenery in use.

One noteworthy thing about the new beta is that I found much less load was being placed on the CPU by using VSync. In pb6 using VSync caused a noticeable increase, which is now gone.

Seems people's performance varies quite a bit on the latest beta.  I installed the new beta, flew a couple of flights, with a default aircraft, and donationware airports and AIPilot's HD Mesh, but found that my frames were literally up and down.  Mid 30's to 40's dropping as low as mid teens and then constant up and downs...can't make heads or tails of it, though I suspect it could be due to AI traffic.  I had three loaded and they were in my airspace.  Performance of the C172 was all over the place, pulling to the left and right, but I've been getting used to it.  The landing gear switch was inop, but I found the fix for that and it works for now.  Default clouds are still less than desireable, but my FlywithLua script still works, more or less so the cloud rendering looks better.  Basically, this beta really didn't get further, and overall it runs about the same.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Seems people's performance varies quite a bit on the latest beta.  I installed the new beta, flew a couple of flights, with a default aircraft, and donationware airports and AIPilot's HD Mesh, but found that my frames were literally up and down.  Mid 30's to 40's dropping as low as mid teens and then constant up and downs...can't make heads or tails of it, though I suspect it could be due to AI traffic.  I had three loaded and they were in my airspace.  Performance of the C172 was all over the place, pulling to the left and right, but I've been getting used to it.  The landing gear switch was inop, but I found the fix for that and it works for now.  Default clouds are still less than desireable, but my FlywithLua script still works, more or less so the cloud rendering looks better.  Basically, this beta really didn't get further, and overall it runs about the same.

You must have missed this for the pulling issue post #253 worked for me - make sure you put it where it belons

http://www.avsim.com/topic/501713-beta-6-is-out/page-17

Rich Sennett

Of course it's not, I mean it has been there in XP10 and now it's just exaggerated by the new lighting. Which also means they knew this from day one. It's probably not a bug to fix, more equalling a rewrite of how sky colors are handled (like XE does). It's really old fashioned to have sky colors depend on bitmaps anyway - because all sunsets will always be the same unless you switch them, which isn't even a standard feature of XP and very annoying. So the variety we gain once skies are handled dynamically is a much bigger gain that just the removal of the gradient banding. That banding is just a real shame, as it ruins one of X-Plane's famous strengths, the transition from day to night.

I just have a very bad feeling about this - I don't think a fix is on short final here.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Of course it's not, I mean it has been there in XP10 and now it's just exaggerated by the new lighting. Which also means they knew this from day one. It's probably not a bug to fix, more equalling a rewrite of how sky colors are handled (like XE does). It's 

Totally agree and will hope for the best - just saw a video Rob A made of X-Plane and he shut of reflections and banding got a lot better - fyi he was using xenviro at the time - it was day time have not had time to check it out as I am downloading that new library installer and its a huge file - might want to try it

Rich Sennett

It is as you describe. It is messed up. Aprons/Taxiway/Runways are hovering above the ground. Fill in a bug report.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB (X-Plane 11, X-Plane 10)

i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz, 12GB RAM, GTX560M 3GB (X-Plane 9, FSX, FS2004)

I've got big issues with the FMS and GNS in pb8.  Basically I can't select certain transitions from STARs and in the GNS XP wil CTD if I attempt to load a transition off a STAR.  It happens every time so I've submitted bug reports.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It is as you describe. It is messed up. Aprons/Taxiway/Runways are hovering above the ground. Fill in a bug report.

ditto

I tried an experiment , installed LinuxmInt on the only 500GB drive which worked , connected it to my office Laptop SATA to USB connector (TOshiba E45-B4200 ) and booted linux from the USB drive , installled XP11 Linux version and to my surprise it was just too fast to load and performance was 15 fps with the same settings that I run XP11 on my other Toshiba (W10 ) laptop. 

Now this work laptop does not have a dedicated GPU but only the Intel one and just 6GB VRAM.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

No one else remarked the aircraft reflections got smooth since pb6? Before they were jumping, like updated every 5 second, now it is really nice and fast.