vegasjon

Can't print manual

The 747-400 FCOM.pdf is secured and cannot be printed- Is there a reason we cannot print out this particular document?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is because it is Boeing copyrighted and you are not really allowed to print them.   Boeing puts a password on it.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Um, ok...The QRH can't be printed out either...Why would you supply docs that can't be printed? So we are supposed to memorize a couple of hundred pages or procedures I guess?

You CAN print the other docs however.

Um, ok...The QRH can't be printed out either...Why would you supply docs that can't be printed? So we are supposed to memorize a couple of hundred pages or procedures I guess?

No you can't- Only the Tutorial and introduction can be printed out...The important items (QRH and the actual Operations Manual cannot.

Ok, so lets go by a new ipad to we can use the manual- great idea...PMDG should have mentioned that before release I guess.

Sorry, just venting frustration- It would have been nice to print these out for reference, but I understand PMDG has no control over the Boeing stuff. She's a great bird to fly anyhow! Didn't mean to jump all over you Boomer!

Maybe not quite as good but the old 747x manual is available on the PMDG website and can be printed, still a good reference.

• Upvote 1

I understand PMDG has no control over the Boeing stuff. She's a great bird to fly anyhow! Didn't mean to jump all over you Boomer!

Indeed, we should actually consider ourselves lucky that we even have access to that information, even though if you cannot print it!

• Upvote 1

Ok, so lets go by a new ipad to we can use the manual- great idea...PMDG should have mentioned that before release I guess.

I have a used iPad 2 that I store all my manuals on. It cost less than $75. I have all operating and reference manuals for every add-on I own stored in iBooks, (each in its own folder). The PMDG NGX, 777, and now 747-400. Majestic Q-400, Aerosoft and FSL Aerobuses, Aerowinx PSX, plus several X-Plane add-ons, as well as the manuals for utility programs like AS-16 etc.

The iPad has paid for itself many times over when I consider what it would have cost in toner, paper, and time to print all of those books in hard copy form. Much more convenient.

Doesn't have to be an iPad either. Probably any tablet capable of displaying PDF files would work just as well.

In any case, the supplied FCOMs and QRHs in PMDG products have been password protected against printing at least since the release of the 777 - maybe even the NGX. It's not a new policy.

The copyright on those documents is held by Boeing - not PMDG. I would assume that PMDG only has a license to redistribute those materials in digital form.

My 10" Samsung tablet has paid for itself repeatedly since purchase in Dec 2015

10" android tablet for around £100 (maybe less?) or a 10" notebook or old laptop lying around = job done.

Even though there are a lot of options for us compared to 10years ago you can't beat the feeling of holding a physical document and flicking through the pages.

Advantages and disadvantages for both as neither is an all-in-one solution for me.

I currently use an ipad 2 plus an old 10" Samsung notebook I had lying around for manuals, tutorials and checklists.

Just out of curiosity, if a document can't be printed, we simply shouldn't include it?

If that's so, it would save us a tremendous amount on not having to license the actual Boeing manuals for you all to use.

• Upvote 1

In todays world everyone is going paperless to include the airlines, military, etc. In the old days I use to print all my manuals and it took up so much room on the bookshelf. Now I have my entire collection on a cheap tablet (under $100) that has my entire collection and allows for key word search. 

Another benefit to getting a tablet is its usefulness for charts, maps, planning, and other useful features. 

Not only can you quickly pull up some reference material from the FCOM or QRH, but with the appropriate app or sources you can also fetch the approach plates you may need for your coming landing. You can even integrate it with your simulation to provide moving map features if you so desire. 

Granted, a tablet is an investment that is hard to justify exclusively for flight simulation use, but if you can find it in your budget, I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what that thin slab of a computer can bring to the table.

Personally - I've never used mine as a tool for reading manuals, but that is about to change tonight. I never made the "connection" about doing that, and considering I hope to step through the 747's tutorials tonight, maybe it's high time to do so!

Cheers,

-Greg

did exactly that- all set...Also use my iPad 2 as well, just not as convenient but that's fine...I'd rather have them in any format than non at all!

Just out of curiosity, if a document can't be printed, we simply shouldn't include it?

If that's so, it would save us a tremendous amount on not having to license the actual Boeing manuals for you all to use.

Hi Kyle;

That's not what I was saying...I was just saying that a printed copy of some of the items from the QRH or FCOM is sometimes helpful as you can lay it out in front of you while you're piloting or experiencing a simulated emergency. I do use my iPad as an EFB so thats where I have Navigraph running and stuff. Anyhow, any documentation you provide is always a plus so I'm not knocking you guys for that- I applaud all you do for the community and I know there are expenses to it as well.

Jon,

Was just trying to understand your earlier question. Seems like it was just spoken in frustration, which is somewhat understandable. All the same, I'd argue that it's better to have them in the state they're in than not at all.

There will be plenty of downloadable  / printable checklists available online very soon I would expect. Have you tried to highlight & copy text from the manuals & make your own checklist? I have done that in the past.

Sometimes, printing a document would be easier to scan through if it is printed especially things like the QRH when you need to get a section quickly during an emergency. 

Jon,

Was just trying to understand your earlier question. Seems like it was just spoken in frustration, which is somewhat understandable. All the same, I'd argue that it's better to have them in the state they're in than not at all.

I agree 100%! Thanks for the feedback!

Sometimes, printing a document would be easier to scan through if it is printed especially things like the QRH when you need to get a section quickly during an emergency.

think i disagree  since  alot  easier uisng  a tablet  or ipad just  to click the section  you want  and it  takes  you  straight  away, no  looking  thru  pages  and  pages  looking  for  the title

You have to have a table of contents maybe and click accurately to go to the page that you want. This is personal preference. 

You have to have a table of contents

There is  a table of  contents in the QRH, 

You have to have a table of contents maybe and click accurately to go to the page that you want. This is personal preference. 

Agreed, and I can never understand why so few add-ons have manuals with clickable PDF contents, it's not as if it's difficult to do.

Happily, there is a solution, at least if you use Foxit PDF reader (I haven't used Adobe Reader for ages). Foxit allows you to create your own bookmarks which are retained if you save the PDF file. The bookmarks are displayed in a left-hand pane, giving you a clickable table of contents.