Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

P3D - crashing after 4-5 hours with PMDG

I also had an intermittent power unit go bad. [700Watt]  I replaced it with a 1000W unit.  Usually, my problem was on start-up though.

Jerry Friz

Hey all,

If this can be of any use to you, I have the same problem. Well, I'll say I had the same problem, as I haven't flown in a few months. I participated in a few long threads both here and on the P3D forums, but a solution was never found. I'll post links to the threads later, if requested.

Basically what I had found out is that the problem is/was "actual time" based, and in PMDG airplanes only. I did a test, flew a default aircraft with autopilot and unlimited fuel in a straight line... I quit after 24hrs, the sim hadn't crashed. However, flying the PMDG777 would crash the sim after a few hours (4-8 I'd say). Workaround was simply to use time compression all the time. Make sure my total sim time was as low as it could. I'd take off, set max time compression in the FMC as soon as possible, and then return later (with the flight auto-paused, most of the time). This was the only way I could do long haul flights without getting a random non-VAS CTD.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Hey all,

If this can be of any use to you, I have the same problem. Well, I'll say I had the same problem, as I haven't flown in a few months. I participated in a few long threads both here and on the P3D forums, but a solution was never found. I'll post links to the threads later, if requested.

Basically what I had found out is that the problem is/was "actual time" based, and in PMDG airplanes only. I did a test, flew a default aircraft with autopilot and unlimited fuel in a straight line... I quit after 24hrs, the sim hadn't crashed. However, flying the PMDG777 would crash the sim after a few hours (4-8 I'd say). Workaround was simply to use time compression all the time. Make sure my total sim time was as low as it could. I'd take off, set max time compression in the FMC as soon as possible, and then return later (with the flight auto-paused, most of the time). This was the only way I could do long haul flights without getting a random non-VAS CTD.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Hi,

thanks for following up on this topic.

That is a interesting workaround, but could not be a solution.

I am really interested in finding out what is causing this crash therefor I will do again a clean install without anything andjust install the PMDG and have a look, if it is crashing again.

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Hi gents,

I used to have a couple of "Prepar3d has stopped working" crashes during long hauls (LSZH-KLAX) with the 777 when I first introduced a CH Eclipse yoke in my configuration. I remember that time I search for a solution around the internet and I found something related to Win10 powering down unused USB ports and causing crashes in P3D on long sessions. I implemented the changes below (the "radical" one), and since then I completed severals long hauls without crashes. Cannot guarantee it solves your problems guys, but maybe it worth a try.

Prevent win10 to power down USB ports:

Easy: 
Go to device manager> expand USB controllers> right click on each USB Root Hub entry ,>select properties,
There you can see power management option, open and  uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Radical (high PC power consumption): 
Access Power Options (e.g., by typing‘Power Options’ in the search bar of Control Panel) Click on ‘Change power plan settings’ on the power plan that is being used (has a bullet ticked) Click change ‘Advanced power settings In popup box, double click on USB settings and on USB selective suspend, then click on ‘Enabled’ and change to ‘Disabled.

Hope it works for all of you striving to complete a long flight and eventually crossing the pond.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Hi gents,

I used to have a couple of "Prepar3d has stopped working" crashes during long hauls (LSZH-KLAX) with the 777 when I first introduced a CH Eclipse yoke in my configuration. I remember that time I search for a solution around the internet and I found something related to Win10 powering down unused USB ports and causing crashes in P3D on long sessions. I implemented the changes below (the "radical" one), and since then I completed severals long hauls without crashes. Cannot guarantee it solves your problems guys, but maybe it worth a try.

Prevent win10 to power down USB ports:

Easy: 
Go to device manager> expand USB controllers> right click on each USB Root Hub entry ,>select properties,
There you can see power management option, open and  uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Radical (high PC power consumption): 
Access Power Options (e.g., by typing‘Power Options’ in the search bar of Control Panel) Click on ‘Change power plan settings’ on the power plan that is being used (has a bullet ticked) Click change ‘Advanced power settings In popup box, double click on USB settings and on USB selective suspend, then click on ‘Enabled’ and change to ‘Disabled.

Hope it works for all of you striving to complete a long flight and eventually crossing the pond.

Cheers,

The "radical" setting, I already did but I will try the other one too before I completely reinstall my system.

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Hi,

thanks for following up on this topic.

That is a interesting workaround, but could not be a solution.

I am really interested in finding out what is causing this crash therefor I will do again a clean install without anything andjust install the PMDG and have a look, if it is crashing again.

Indeed, this cannot be a solution. I only started doing this after "giving up", I couldn't find a solution and I wanted to complete flights.. I'm sure a solution will be found one day. It's a bit odd, many people don't have this issue but it seems more and more people have it. To be continued...

Short update.

I tried all the things you all wrote

- Nvidia driver reinstallation with first uninstalling with the Driver UNinstalling tool -> doenst help same error

- Power Management Settings -> doesnt help, same error

Even the reinstallation of Windows and only the standard P3D without any addons was causing this crash after 5 hours :(

Now, I have no further idea what is happening here....

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

While I collect some error logs, I'm just going to rely on FSUIPC's autosave, which is very reliable to pick up more or less where I left off, depending on the interval chosen.  

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have done a deep cleaning of Nvidia drivers, some registry work to prevent W10 from updating the drivers and also reverted back to 376.33 and got an OOM after 10 hours instead of the crash after 5. Hey, I call that progress!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Any update on this? Last night I got my first ever CTD with the PMDG 747, and it was exactly the same I used to get with the 777; a crash, about 4-5 hours into a flight, with well over 1GB  of VAS left, saying "P3D has stopped working" and pointing to either ntdll.dll or kernelbase.dll (this time it was kernelbase). A few months ago I had tested using a default aircraft and unlimited fuel, and had stopped the test after flying in a straight line for over 20 hours or so. It must be some kind of addon combination.

Thanks

What driver are you using (if you have a Geforce, that is)? As said above, after reverting back to 376.66 I never had this crash again.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

13 minutes ago, tgcbraun said:

What driver are you using (if you have a Geforce, that is)? As said above, after reverting back to 376.66 I never had this crash again.

Just curious, I have never rolled back a driver. Where can I find this driver as I intermittently have the same problem.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

31 minutes ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Just curious, I have never rolled back a driver. Where can I find this driver as I intermittently have the same problem.

Brian:

Go here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Put in your adapter's info and you'll get a list of drivers dating back to October. 376.33 will appear somewhere in the middle of the list of results.

• Upvote 1

Walter Meier

39 minutes ago, wsmeier said:

Brian:

Go here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Put in your adapter's info and you'll get a list of drivers dating back to October. 376.33 will appear somewhere in the middle of the list of results.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I will look into it.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I also getting the kernelbase. dll error with this great bird after 2-3 hours. 

Maybe it is Vpilot? 

Thanks Michael Moe