Sign in to follow this  

The Weirdest Idea For PMDG Products That Will Exist...

Let me start this off by saying that this is really really odd and I'm not serious about this so please don't flame me for this.

If you are annoyed by this style of stupidity/oddity then please go back to the general forum.

Let the suggestion begin :D

I have heard Mr Randazzo say that he hates being fingerprints on dials and screens in FlightDecks so here is a really dumb and random idea;

Make a virtual rag that you can use in your products (that are currently sold) to clean the screens of our virtual flight decks.  And perhaps clean up some of the other gunk in the aircraft such as worn paint and grime around different areas of the flight deck.   

On the flip side, how about a virtual mud ball to add dirt and "character" to the aircraft?  

Ok, I know that it would be stupid to actually do this and this suggestion is not serious, I just thought of the most random thing possible a few weeks ago and this is what I landed on...  Again, I am setting myself up for a virtual beating by forum members, and I will cop it but please, don't be too mean.

Ok, I'll bite...

Firstly, your suggestion, from a subjective standpoint, warrants merit.  The idea of having the option to show dirty screens, knobs, levers, carpets, and seats would provide a user with the type of realism they would want, as does the option to turn it all off.  I have seen this style of programming with other aircraft, including options for reflections and screen glow, so overall, your request makes sense.

Given that these days, just about anything can be rendered and programmed in to a given model, it surely wouldn't hurt to have extended choices for visual effects.  I am all for immersion and realism, so if there were some graphical freedoms taken to enhance it, sure why not, but if it got annoying or distracting, then it can be turned off...that simple.

As for a "virtual rag", that's a little over the top, but then again, it really doesn't need explanation, since I read between the lines. :biggrin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

2 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Ok, I'll bite...

Firstly, your suggestion, from a subjective standpoint, warrants merit.  The idea of having the option to show dirty screens, knobs, levers, carpets, and seats would provide a user with the type of realism they would want, as does the option to turn it all off.  I have seen this style of programming with other aircraft, including options for reflections and screen glow, so overall, your request makes sense.

Given that these days, just about anything can be rendered and programmed in to a given model, it surely wouldn't hurt to have extended choices for visual effects.  I am all for immersion and realism, so if there were some graphical freedoms taken to enhance it, sure why not, but if it got annoying or distracting, then it can be turned off...that simple.

As for a "virtual rag", that's a little over the top, but then again, it really doesn't need explanation, since I read between the lines. :biggrin:

Well it's great to see that someone else agrees with me on the ability to remove/add gunk to the cockpit!  :D

Congratulations!

That really IS "The Weirdest Idea For PMDG Products That Will Exist..." :biggrin:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

While the idea of having a rag and a mud ball is indeed a bit weird, i would actually love to have two different "cockpit states", one showing some wear and tear and one being in pristine shape like its coming straight out of Everett. But thats something that may make more sense for the 747-8 addon, as you wont find any pristine 744 cockpits anymore i'm afraid.  

Or how about 'dynamic flightdeck degradation"? Based on flown hours the flight deck will get increasingly dirty, including stains of spilled PDMG energy drinks after turbulences...to stay in line with the weirdness of the OP's idea  ;)

My Lufthansa 747 cockpit would be an unbearable mess by now *g*

I support this! At least being able to choose from different texture (and sound!) sets for new pristine aircraft and old worn pieces of junk!

2 hours ago, Boeing777300 said:

I have heard Mr Randazzo say that he hates being fingerprints on dials and screens in FlightDecks so here is a really dumb and random idea;

Truth. Compared to the shiny props on the DC-3 now, though, I think most of us are pretty tame about the flight deck by comparison. I imagine that the 747-8 sim in the Sim Center will be impeccably clean as well. One of us is usually out at the hangar on some random day to get away from things, and we usually end up cleaning something while we're out there.

It's an interesting idea. I don't think any of the sims make this very feasible currently, but I imagine that if one did, we'd probably think about it.

For what it's worth, the 747-8 expansion's flight deck will be a little cleaner since they average airframe age is much lower.

Kyle Rodgers

Good, I look forward to a clean -8, though in reality it doesn't take long for pilots to scuff up a flight deck. Of course, I do get a kick out of the control column housing at the bottom with paint chips missing in the 747-400. It does add realism.

bling_zpsodfxlz9e.jpg

• Upvote 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, Chock said:

bling_zpsodfxlz9e.jpg

That is cute Chock, I actually know one of the guys who provides this fluid and cloths for cleaning Display Units to some of the major airlines. He has had a contract with them for years.

If you rub this on an Airbus DU, it fogs up and says, "Je t'aime"...

17 hours ago, Woozie said:

Or how about 'dynamic flightdeck degradation"? Based on flown hours the flight deck will get increasingly dirty, including stains of spilled PDMG energy drinks after turbulences...to stay in line with the weirdness of the OP's idea  ;)*

Dynamic Flightdeck Degradation is a excellent idea, of course, if it was made, it would have to be sped up a bit to allow it to be noticeable but still an excellent idea.  Watch out for those PMDG brand energy drinks though - They aren't energy drinks :ph34r: - they are extra fuel for when PFPX screws with you and is a bit light on your fuel load!  :blink:

13 hours ago, Boeing777300 said:

Dynamic Flightdeck Degradation is a excellent idea, of course, if it was made, it would have to be sped up a bit to allow it to be noticeable but still an excellent idea

One way to do this would be to allow airplanes to age and accumulate hours according to the calendar rather than the number of hours you fly it. You could even simulate it getting the required maintenance at the specified intervals, so in five to six years you'd once again get a shiny new airplane out of overhaul.

Walter Meier

Yep not a silly idea at all.  

Fingerprints on monitors are one of those things that some of us in IT can't stand, as it is almost never necessary to actually put your finger on the monitor to actually point to something.  I cringe when someone comes over to my screen and presses their finger up against the screen for everything they are pointing to.

Seeing fingerprints on some of the glass panels in the cockpit that are not touch sensitive would tend to drive me nuts.

Mark Trainer

If I recall correctly, the Aerosoft/4X Katana accumulates cockpit dirt and has to be cleaned from time to time.  There's also a fly that hitches a ride with you every now and then.

The Flight 1 Cessna 182 picks up less fortunate insects on the outside of the windshield.

So there's a tradition for this sort of thing, in GA at least...