Sign in to follow this  
cnc3

Big squares in scenery - how to reduce or fix?

Hey. Does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce or remove the hard edge squares I am getting?

An example of this can be seen in the snow colored square in this image:

itciI4o.jpg

I would expect that the edges would be more blended with the surrounding tiles and so am suspecting something in my configuration file.

Thanks

-david-

Cheers!

David Haynes

Do you have FTX ORBX + Vector installed? If you do, just run integrity check in FTXC. Seems like landclass issue to me

• Upvote 1

Wow I have the same thing!  It seems to happen at transitions between snowy and non-snowy areas and is was wandering the same.  Unfortunately, I have the feeling also the land-class 'blocks' are just that so gives that aweful look.

I have FTX Global and VECTOR installed. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

Cheers!

David Haynes

Is it the same regardless of season and date?

Could be an issue seen when Orbx and the simulator don't agree if it's winter or spring.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for the help folks. It turned out to be a stacking order of the FTX Global stuff in the scenery file.

Cheers!

David Haynes

1 hour ago, cnc3 said:

Thanks for the help folks. It turned out to be a stacking order of the FTX Global stuff in the scenery file.

I have this same issue....can you elaborate on the fix??  I also have ORBX FTX Global/Vector and OpenLC NA.  Thanks!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

11 hours ago, Flic1 said:

I have this same issue....can you elaborate on the fix??  I also have ORBX FTX Global/Vector and OpenLC NA.  Thanks!

For me, it was the ordering of the OPENLC layers. The base has ended up on top of the specific land classes such as Europe. Then, to make matters worse, the ORBXLIBS was below the all that.

Cheers!

David Haynes

Even if all Orbx products are correctly sequenced in the library, the square snow effect will still occur because of how Orbx has rendered the snow effects.  Try this:  Change the date/season to spring or summer and note that the square is now a specific landscape entity such as a plowed field or field of crops.  My theory is that things such as agriculture fields have an arbitrary snow cover in winter with no relationship with the surrounding terrain, which might be scattered snow.  Therefore, the squares appear and look very unnatural.... I've complained in the Orbx forum but it's not something to which they have commented.

I also found green squares in the middle of deserts and traced that to the parks option in Vector... gotta keep parks turned off.

Dan Downs KCRP

Interesting about the parks option, thanks for sharing.

And to add to all this I did a little investigation in the past how seasons change in the simulator vs in Orbx in Sweden and the result is as seen below. Quite a difference as you can see and this will sometimes look very strange I've seen with all winter in one spot and spring in another one and so on.

Winter in Orbx starts 1/11
Winter in P3D starts 22/12

Spring in Orbx starts 1/3
Spring in P3D starts 21/3

Summer in Orbx starts 1/5
Summer in P3D starts 21/6

Fall in Orbx starts 1/9
Fall in P3D starts 22/9

Richard Åsberg

On 27/03/2017 at 6:38 PM, G-YMML1 said:

Do you have FTX ORBX + Vector installed? If you do, just run integrity check in FTXC. Seems like landclass issue to me

Hello, 

I was just wondering if you'd be able to tell me how to run the integrity check in FTXC?

Thanks,

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

8 hours ago, Jonathan93102 said:

Hello, 

I was just wondering if you'd be able to tell me how to run the integrity check in FTXC?

Thanks,

Jonathan 

Not at home how, maybe later this evening.

What's really fun is snow texture patches in spring, I'll see isolated snow squares outside the LOD that only get properly updated with neighboring snow textures when they enter the LOD range.  The effect is rather off putting and if I ever encounter it I either change the time to summer or full winter to avoid this rather broken presentation.

According to Orbx the problem lies within the core of the simulator (ever heard that one before...sigh) in this case controlled by seasons.bgl found in ...\Scenery\Base\scenery.

You can read more about it over here and here.

Looking at all stuff released for our simulators I'm a bit surprised no developer came up with the idea making money on providing us with local and more realistic seasons like Orbx did in FTX Norway for example as mentioned in one of the threads linked above.

Personally I would be more than happy to pay for a more realistic representation of the seaons in P3D and I don't think I'm the only one.

Richard Åsberg