Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Delidding CAUTION

Recommended Posts

Just a word of caution and passing on an expensive lesson I learned delidding my 7700K.

I purchased a RockitCool delidder and spent some time looking at various guides and videos until I felt comfortable with the process. The delidding, cleanup and applicatoin of the liquid heatsink went just fine.  I had found three options for resealing the heatsink to the blank - replace the silicone on all sides, leaving a small gap, replace the silicone on just two sides or put a tiny drop of KrazyGlue on all four corners. I chose the latter.

BAD IDEA!!

After letting the cpu sit for a couple of hour I went to remove it and reinstall in mobo - remember, I only used a tiny drop on 4 corners - the glue had run down and UNDER the cpu and had nicely dried on the bottom contact pins.

Alcohol, acetone and elbow grease and I'm able to get the cpu booting BUT the max processor speed is 800ghz and so far I cannot adjust it. I also fear that some residual glue that I might have missed got on the mobo socket - I'll check that out tonight with a magnifier. An expensive lesson - probably a new cpu and possibly a new mobo.

Anyhow, if you decide to delid - it's really easy with the tool but be careful when reapplying the sealant.

 

Vic

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry about your Loss.. Zowieeeeeeeeee.. Anyway I was fortunate to delid a 3770k with the old vice, 2x4 and a hammer and was very fortunate. The tool is probably the safer way to go.

Good Luck vgbaron. Hope everythings comes out ok.

Best Regards,

Bob M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you even have to put the cpu lid back on? Why not just mount the cooler to the cpu die? Seems to me like the most hassle free and best performing solution. (Haven't researched so the answer isn't obvious to me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you hadn't watched right YouTube videos about delidding the 7700.  There are a couple out there that state (as well as show) that you do not have to use adhesive to mate the IHS back on the cpu silicon.  The cpu cage that lowers down over the IHS & cpu has enough force to keep the IHS in place, as long as you are careful.  It is a very slow process to holding on to the IHS as you lower the cage down over the cpu & IHS, but once you lock the arm in place, nothing is going anywhere.

If you need to take comfort knowing you aren't alone, watch this guy:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah Geez Vic. That sure is some undeserved bad luck. Sorry to hear that. You've got to be one angry cat right now.

I have not attempted a delid yet, but I never understood the recommendation to use Crazy Glue. It is permanent and there is not much recourse if you make a mistake as you are unfortunately finding out. The silicone allows you to redo the process if you need to.

Thanks for posting the warning,

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanx Guys - I've come back down from the ceiling and am in a better mood. Good news and bad news - I was apparently able to save the CPU but in the course of testing back and forth I trashed the cpu pins in the mobo!  LOL When it rains it pours. Ordered a new cpu which hasn't arrived but ran to fry's and bought a new mobo. Put the old cpu in and have been stressing it for over an hour and it hasn't gotten above 59C!  SO the delidding worked and I was able to salvage the cpu. All it cost me was a new mobo and a lot of time. I'm going to see if Asus can repair the other mobo for a reasonable price. I just bought that one a week ago.

Computers can be so much fun.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Thanx Guys - I've come back down from the ceiling and am in a better mood. Good news and bad news - I was apparently able to save the CPU but in the course of testing back and forth I trashed the cpu pins in the mobo!  LOL When it rains it pours. Ordered a new cpu which hasn't arrived but ran to fry's and bought a new mobo. Put the old cpu in and have been stressing it for over an hour and it hasn't gotten above 59C!  SO the delidding worked and I was able to salvage the cpu. All it cost me was a new mobo and a lot of time. I'm going to see if Asus can repair the other mobo for a reasonable price. I just bought that one a week ago.

Computers can be so much fun.

 

Vic

Fry's to the rescue!  I miss that place, always had what I needed in a pinch.  I wouldn't get my hopes up about the motherboard repair as I'm sure they'll notice your handywork.  Live and learn I guess, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I heard about the super glue method of reattaching the IHS recently. Was dubious about it when I came across it.

No reattachment at all, let the IHS float.

Or, a smidgen of high temp silicone adhesive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yes I heard about the super glue method of reattaching the IHS recently. Was dubious about it when I came across it.

No reattachment at all, let the IHS float.

Or, a smidgen of high temp silicone adhesive.

I tryed with Silicon not with superglue , i not see  any benifit

Have delidded atleast 60-70 cpus and Mount and remount them floating.

Vic , good to hear that the cpu is ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, westman said:

I tryed with Silicon not with superglue , i not see  any benifit

Have delidded atleast 60-70 cpus and Mount and remount them floating.

Vic , good to hear that the cpu is ok

 

I guess the benefit is to assist when installing CPU, so it doesn't move. But I Know you loosen the screws a bit Hasse.

Also I suppose for those that want a CPU and IHS attached, as it was when new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this was my first delidding and I certainly did learn from it. In the future, I'd opt for a dab of silicone just to hold it in place. Other than the glue screwup, it actually went quite well. I really am amazed at how much handling the CPU can handle. I mean I scrubbed the contacts with acetone,  alcohol, used plastic and wood scrapers, etc and it seems to have survived.

As for the damaged mobo - either I take a $200 loss and trash it or, if ASUS comes up with a reasonable price for repair, I have a brand new top quality spare mobo.

 

We shall see.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, vgbaron said:

Just a word of caution and passing on an expensive lesson I learned delidding my 7700K.

I purchased a RockitCool delidder and spent some time looking at various guides and videos until I felt comfortable with the process. The delidding, cleanup and applicatoin of the liquid heatsink went just fine.  I had found three options for resealing the heatsink to the blank - replace the silicone on all sides, leaving a small gap, replace the silicone on just two sides or put a tiny drop of KrazyGlue on all four corners. I chose the latter.

BAD IDEA!!

After letting the cpu sit for a couple of hour I went to remove it and reinstall in mobo - remember, I only used a tiny drop on 4 corners - the glue had run down and UNDER the cpu and had nicely dried on the bottom contact pins.

Alcohol, acetone and elbow grease and I'm able to get the cpu booting BUT the max processor speed is 800ghz and so far I cannot adjust it. I also fear that some residual glue that I might have missed got on the mobo socket - I'll check that out tonight with a magnifier. An expensive lesson - probably a new cpu and possibly a new mobo.

Anyhow, if you decide to delid - it's really easy with the tool but be careful when reapplying the sealant.

 

Vic

 

Sorry to hear this, Vic.That really is a pain.

 For many years Fry's was my go to store for all my computer parts. But, then Microcenter showed up. Not sure if you have one of these near you. But, the reason I switched to them is for their amazing return policy, significant lower prices, knowledgeable  staff,  damage warranty plans, match prizes, stock items, and customer service.  I have built my last 3 computers through them. ( A word of advise: Always buy the accidental damage plan for Mobo and CPU's). 

All the best,

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2017 at 1:50 AM, vgbaron said:

Well, this was my first delidding and I certainly did learn from it.

I'm sorry to hear this too - you've been much braver than I was with delidding. I ended up getting the guys at Silicon Lottery to do it for me and the heat sink was reattached with silicon adhesive. Delidding is definitely worth it though from a temp perspective. The early benchmarks I have done at 5.1Ghz have had max temps of 69 Celsius during a stress test. 

Hope you get some good results from your delidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several hours OCCT and Prime95 at 5.0ghz and nothing over 59C! So it seems to be worth it

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear the chip's still working and you've gotten such great results.  

Westman and myself don't use adhesive when delidding, there's really no need for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this