Sign in to follow this  
pracines

Finally I can see my house!

I just tried the Ortho4XP in XP11 and its wonderful to see the scene as it essentially is. Not perfect, some autogen issues, (elevation issues - I'm fixing as I catch them), but it will suffice. Now real world VFR Charts are finally of some use. The golf courses are there, the layouts of cities and towns etc. match the VFR charts quite well, and yes my "autogen" house is actually there - I could not believe it! I think its time to get out my plotter, Jeppesen Pro Star (it still works great!), some VFR planning forms, and refresh my pilotage/dead reckoning skills.

Now with a good ATC (I know a new ATC system is being worked on by Austin), the addition of seasons, maybe some more fair (reasonable) prices for quality add-ons (not speaking about "every" add-on company) and XP11 will shine even brighter.

Time to start thinking about 8-16 TB SSD's :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I'm happy that you are getting things sorted. However, I would love to be able to simply buy decent photoscenery rather than all this messing.

I'm late to X-Plane and Ortho4XP, but I'm completely blown away by what is possible.

"you mean we get accurately placed autogen AND insanely detailed VFR photos? and the autogen extends as far as the eye can see??"

I thought the Flightsim world was just Pepar3d, but I'm a complete convert, X-Plane 11 with Ortho4XP is everything I hoped simming would be.

Quick question about your post, you mentioned you're fixing some issues as you find them, how are you doing that? I'm happy to get stuck into some manual fettling of scenery, but don't really know where to start.

I have to say the default airports are also superb in X-Plane, the small GA regional near me is almost as good as Gary Summons UK2000. Heathrow is also excellent - I landed the default 737 over London into Heathrow at night and when taxiing in to the gate, the reaslim of the floodlighting on the parked BA 777's is really impressive.

Kudos to the X-Plane team.

• Upvote 2

I had the same reaction after finally getting Ortho4XP working. The difference is astounding! I fly for hours on end exploring little areas now, because there is always something I missed the flight before. Helicopters are now my best friend for sightseeing. :)

Glad to see this post..I switched last year from FSX to XP11 exclusively. Never looked back. I am a RW pilot and while the physics are the best there is, I still enjoy some good "eye candy". I have been working with Ortho4XP for some time and while some areas are stunning: Tampa/St. Pete, Northern Illinois & Kansas City metro, the southern California area I made was less than suitable? I also would like to know how to "fix" some elevation issues. The Sunshine Skyview bridge for instance is part underwater? Finally, when I place my ortho file in the custom scenery.ini, I know they go last, but sometimes it completely covers the airport?? Any help for an old-timer would be appreciated.

Socal looks great with USA2 data 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Socal looks great with USA2 data 

Interesting... where do you find that data? Is it free? :smile:

I too, am completely blown away by X-Plane. It's not just Ortho4XP. The physics and how forces react on the airframe - to be honest, taking off in X-Plane... It's first time I felt in a simulator, where it actually felt like flying. 
The lighting engine is really amazing. Something which is completely screwed up in the ESP engine (FSX/Prepar3D). I can't for the love of me, think of a reason, where you create a simulator where lighting doesn't shine, but is somehow 'texture limited'... (for the lack of a better explanation).

Anyway ... I'm not looking back towards Prepar3D before V4 is released - then I re-evaluate... mostly because of all the money I've spent on addons, I now cannot use. 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

You select it as an image source in O4XP.  Default is OSM I think.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |