Noel

Performance hit for Global Vector?

I've held off on Vector initially because you had little control over what was manifested and what wasn't, but I think that piece changed a while back.  In your humble opinion can you estimate the performance hit?  I used FTX Global plus regional sceneries, and I also wonder whether Vector adds more content in FTX regionals, or is that data already present?  Right now my 5 y/o system works very well, I'd like to take advantage of the May sale but only if the performance hit is very minor relative to what I'm already using, which again oftentimes I am flying in FTX regional scenery already.

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm wondering about this as well.  I have a couple of UTX titles and even though they announced free upgrades to V4 they don't cover the world like vector does.  A big issue with Vector in the past was VAS useage (thankfully a nonissue with V4) so if the FPS hit is minimal and similar to what I would get with UTX I will likely buy vector before the sale ends.

Vector does nothing for the full fat regions. That data is already in the regions. My experience is that  the regions are more VAS and performance intensive than Vector. When I fly my PMDG aircraft I disable PNW, NO CAL and SO CAl and everything works well with my I7-4770K turbo 4.2 ghz. I would recommend you take advantage of the sale.

Greg

also just to add vector is configurable.i disable the bits that i don't need when flying tubes.that does help a lot.

mainly i bought it for coastlines where there are no regions .makes a big difference in some areas of usa and europe.

steve

The coastlines is where Vector excels, and at flight levels it is important to turn off options like small streams.  I have also found it necessary to turn off parks otherwise I end up with rich green parks in the middle of the Sonora Desert.

Vector also excels at providing proper waterbody elevations -- important for lakes and ponds to line up with updated meshes.

14 hours ago, downscc said:

The coastlines is where Vector excels, and at flight levels it is important to turn off options like small streams.  I have also found it necessary to turn off parks otherwise I end up with rich green parks in the middle of the Sonora Desert.

You don't like a nice looking park in the middle of a desert? Maybe you can find water there in case you crash land. lol

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AviatorMoser said:

Vector also excels at providing proper waterbody elevations -- important for lakes and ponds to line up with updated meshes.

If you use vector without a third party mesh do you then have issues of water bodies floating in the air or sunken into the ground?

I've avoided buying vector for two reasons, VAS (which soon won't be an issue) and reported elevation issues without third party mesh.  My current utx setup doesn't have the elevation issues but also doesn't have worldwide coverage of course.

given it's current sale price, I'm contemplating a purchase, but am still worried about elevation issues as I have no interest in third party mesh (I don't want airport plateaus).

You get airport plateaus of sorts at any default airport where the flat airport is sitting on slopping terrain, to wit Las Vegas KLAS.  Vector has a built in airport elevation correction that ensures airports are not on top of mesas or in deep canyons, which does have to be used regardless of mesh used.  I've never seen an issue  with floating water bodies but I'm mostly a flight level flyer and could be mission out  on that enjoyment.