HiFlyer

Aerofly: Encouraging news

Posted by Drhotwing1 https://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/8264-Updates-Coming-Your-Way

Hello All, 

I wanted to give everyone some reason to be excited about some upcoming updates to Aerofly FS 2 (more than the pure excitement of flying in general). So, most of you already know about the upcoming ORBX releases of LOWI and KCGX, and the mention that ORBX is planning on releasing more larger regions to follow. We want you to know that there is a lot going on that is indeed very exciting for the future of FS2. Current work is being done to complete the new GeoConvert tool that will allow for you to easily make your own photo-real scenery to fly over. As you already know, there is an SDK available that allows for you to make your own airports to go along with this new upcoming tool, this is an important step in the future growth and user interaction of FS2. The SDK will improve further over time as well.

There is already a tool to make custom aircraft liveries, and the list of custom liveries to choose from keeps growing.

Also being finalized is the Q400. This bird is the Bombardier Dash 8 (Q-Series) which will be the first turbo-prop aircraft released for Aerofly FS 2, and it's a beauty. There are just some more tweaks here and there and it will be released. This aircraft will be worth the wait. 

Further updates to the autopilot system and FMS will also be released after a little bit more work; and a couple more surprises thereafter following improved autopilot functionality.

And of course ATC; this system is extremely complex and will still take some time to complete but it's going to take FS 2 to the next level. There will be further information on ATC in the future. 

As most of you know, programming takes time, but what you can clearly see here is that Aerofly FS 2 is certainly on the right path, and there is a certain pride and passion that comes out of each update which clearly shows that IPACS doesn't just rush to throw an update at you, they are well thought out and planned quality updates. 

There is much more coming your way than what i just mentioned to you here. Just remember, all amazing structures start with a solid foundation, and IPACS is well under way building that solid foundation. It will only get better from here.

• Upvote 7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I want to see traffic on roads and ships sailing on water. That will make FS2's world live and complete...

Am excited to see Orbx's regions are coming to AFS2.  Hoping for study level aircraft with most switches in the vc working.

• Upvote 1

My disk is ALL AEFS2 now :-)....  Can't escape...

No more flatland for me...

I purchased a 6tb hard disk this morning at a pretty nice price. ($157)

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I purchased a 6tb hard disk

Do you think it will be enough? :blink:

Cheers, Ed

2 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Do you think it will be enough? :blink:

Cheers, Ed

One would hope. :ha:

I noticed when pricing drives that once you exceeded two terabytes, the prices per extra terabyte seemed to even out quite a bit.

So.... with $119 for a 4TB drive and $157 for a 6TB, why not pay the little bit extra?

I did a few hours research first, and went with a Toshiba drive due to the reported reliability in tests, and read some articles suggesting that failure rates for larger drives were pretty much the same as for smaller ones.

Though for safety, I might buy a second one as a backup!

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Though for safety, I might buy a second one as a backup!

Why not? :blink:

Cheers, Ed

33 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Why not? :blink:

Cheers, Ed

You do realize, that it's estimated that the whole world in Aerofly would come to a minimum of 4Tb's? :gaul:

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

You do realize, that it's estimated that the whole world in Aerofly would come to a minimum of 4Tb's? :gaul:

Yes, I do. I have it on my gaming laptop with limited HDD space. Time to think about!.

Cheers, Ed

On 07/06/2017 at 8:06 AM, HiFlyer said:

I have been counting up my prepar3d photoscenery. There's around 14Tb of it - much more than I expected! - and I've only covered a fraction of the planet.

6 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I have been counting up my prepar3d photoscenery. There's around 14Tb of it - much more than I expected! - and I've only covered a fraction of the planet.

Size increases almost exponentially depending on the resolution of the scenery.

A resolution approximating that of current fsx textures is not necessarily ginormous.

I was right...this IS going to be the ESP-based flight sim (x) killer...yep.

I can't wait to be able to load up AF2, as I have with Ortho4XP inside XP11, for photo-real, in areas that I fly mostly, like for instance, the Great Lakes Region, and New England.

To be able to take off from an airport (like Detroit Metro) and fly across Lake Michigan for a touch down at Meigs....drooling already...!

54 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

A resolution approximating that of current fsx textures is not necessarily ginormous.

I have already generated 6 TB's with Ortho4XP, with no end in sight.  You need storage capacity...so just wait for 4-6 TB My Books to come on sale. That takes care of it... :)

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Current FSX textures are pretty lame, that's last decades tech. The photoscenery in Aerofly is OK, but not great. Once you combine high quality images with high resolution, photoscenery comes into its own, as objects start to have more apparent depth and the scenery is flyable from even quite low altitudes.

In P3D, I fly 25cm per pixel scenery where possible, and its not that hard to create large areas at that resolution if you have the time. I'm hoping that once I convert some of this for AF2 use it will look even better. 

WD will be coming out with some seriously large helium-filled HDD in the near future (as you probably know, you can already get decent-sized helium drives, but the bigger ones are coming) - I'm looking forward to the serious increase in storage capacity that that tech will bring. 

8 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

I have already generated 6 TB's with Ortho4XP, with no end in sight.  You need storage capacity...so just wait for 4-6 TB My Books to come on sale. That takes care of it... :)

I've got 2Tb+4Tb+4Tb+4Tb+5Tb, though some of that is the source data (tiles, .bmps). Can't have too much storage, go for a fast internal drive where possible - external are OK, but I do notice the difference. I use WD Black, and have just added a new 6Tb one of those, which is as big as you can get at present, unfortunately. I also have a 1Tb SSD for the sim, but tiny drives like that fill up quickly. :)

Ipacs has to walk a fine line between resolution and download size.

There have already been near insurrections from some people at how hefty some of the downloads have been.

Not everyone has a fast connection, and for some, larger downloads might take days and days.

I suspect third parties will have to offer higher resolutions, or, alternately, people can use the tools Ipacs is about to release to roll their own.

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Ipacs has to walk a fine line between resolution and download size.

There have already been near insurrections from some people at how hefty some of the downloads have been.

I know, some consumers have a poor level of committment to this flight sim endeavour!

That's why I know that I need to make my own scenery. There's also the issue that commercially  available scenery is generally of moderate quality at best - I still buy it, but its not a patch on what you make of you're not bothered with the size or time required.

For me, this has been a project spread over many years - as some of you well know, it us a beatuful thing to fly over high-quality orthoscenery that you have made yourself.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:07 PM, OzWhitey said:

In P3D, I fly 25cm per pixel scenery where possible, and its not that hard to create large areas at that resolution if you have the time. I'm hoping that once I convert some of this for AF2 use it will look even better. 

How does one create his own scenery?

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

How does one create his own scenery?

MIke, download FS Earth tiles and you'll find that making orthoscenery for the USA and Western Europe, for use in Prepar3d, is a breeze. I've spent years doing this, and its great fun! 

Consider buying a tree package - I use Nuvecta and Open VFR - to populate some objects on the flat orthoscenery base. I also use a payware product called instant scenery 3 to add objects around airports, and a freeware product called ADE to align runways to the photoscenery. 

Keep the .bmp and .inf files that FS Earth tiles makes, and you'll be able to convert them to orthoscenery for  Aerofly 2 once the appropriate tool is released by IPACS (which we're promised in the very near future).