Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

P3D V4 total memory problem

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.   I am running out of total memory (8 GB) (not VAS) in certain situations with V4.  Here's what I have running.

P3D V4 (2048 texture resolution, most sliders are 1 tick short of ultra/highest)

Active Sky 2016 for P3DV4 beta

Ultimate Traffic Live (modified to work with V4)

PMDG 747 V2

FlightBeam KSFOHD

ProATC (modified to work with V4)

As I approach KSFO for landing I run out of total memory and get warnings to shutdown software.   Resource monitor confirms that I am out of memory

I know this is a lot running on one machine.  The only thing I know that I can put on a network computer is AS 2016 but I'm just not sure this will help much.  I know I can always buy more memory but they don't make my type of memory any more (G Skill 9 latency) so I would have to go mismatched.  Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or is it unique to me.

My system

Intel i7 4770K overclocked to 4.3 Ghz

ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard

ASUS Geforce 780

G Skill low latency memory (not overclocked) - 8 G

Windows 7

The system is very stable even with all of this running. 

Ronnie Pertuit

Nah... don't uninstall anything. All my FSDT/FB stuff works just fine (with one minor bug at KMEM).

Make sure you have not turned of paging of your memory.  In Windows 7, right mouse click on Computer and select Properties.  Then Advanced system setting > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab. In the Virtual Memory grouping, ensure you have NOT selected 'No paging file' or selected an unreasonable paging file size.  I always allow the system managed size.

It's not surprising that memory requirements exceed 8GB simply because you lose almost half of that with just the operating system.  However, memory paging is designed to take care of that, has been around since the beginning of Windows, and works just fine.

Dan Downs KCRP

16 gb RAM should not be too expensive I guess. I would invest in more memory before trying to patch around, tweaking etc. 

Saves you time and nerves :-)

• Upvote 2

downscc,

That was the problem.  Sometime ago I had limited paging to 4 Gigs when I was running short of hard drive space.   I forgot to change it back after getting a larger hard drive.   I reset it to let the operating system manage it like you suggested and I was able to land and taxi without running out of memory.   Frame rate was pretty low (down to about 14).  The the Resource Monitor was showing on the verge of running out of standby and free memory (down to about 150 megs)  but it never alerted.  

I wonder if more physical memory would improve performance.   Several of my hard drives are solid state so I don't think paging memory to them would hurt CPU speed much.  But... maybe a couple of 4 gig memory sticks would make a good Father's Day present. 

Thanks for the help.

Ronnie Pertuit

10 minutes ago, CajunRon said:

I wonder if more physical memory would improve performance

If your system is relying on pagefile in order to make up for the lack of Ram, then yes.

P3d recommended Ram is 16g+.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

so just base Sim without ORBX Socal, FB KFSO only and the 747v3?  Well I am glad your page file fix helped. More physical memory definitely helps.  But check if you have not set the autogen distance to too high.  Using 2048 texture size alone is not the only one that will consume memory, your settings on autogen should also be reasonable.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Ultimate Traffic Live uses about 1gb of RAM on my setup. I've recently upgraded to 16gb but running P3DV3 on 8gb of RAM I was getting very close to running out with the same addons as you are running. Only addition I had was Chaseplane. I'd suggest an upgrade too if you can manage.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

6 hours ago, CajunRon said:

I cannot find this on their website.  Maybe a release from their forums?  In any case, beta's are beta's and, when you have problems, beta's should be the first suspects.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If you decide to add memory it's worth going for a new matched set rather than adding to what you already have, especially since they do not make the same memory sticks any longer. Mismatched sticks can be the source of endless frustration, hassle and system instability and 16GB shouldn't put much of a dent in your wallet.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

This has happend to me today. ORBX global. ORBX pacific northwest. FSdreamteam CYVR. active sky 16 P3D.   PMDG 777F.

message saying, Run out of memory turn down setting. 

On 6/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, CajunRon said:

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.   I am running out of total memory (8 GB) (not VAS) in certain situations with V4.  Here's what I have running.

P3D V4 (2048 texture resolution, most sliders are 1 tick short of ultra/highest)

Ultimate Traffic Live (modified to work with V4)

PMDG 747 V2

FlightBeam KSFOHD

ProATC (modified to work with V4)

As I approach KSFO for landing I run out of total memory and get warnings to shutdown software.   Resource monitor confirms that I am out of memory

I know this is a lot running on one machine.  The only thing I know that I can put on a network computer is AS 2016 but I'm just not sure this will help much.  I know I can always buy more memory but they don't make my type of memory any more (G Skill 9 latency) so I would have to go mismatched.  Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or is it unique to me.

My system

Intel i7 4770K overclocked to 4.3 Ghz

ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard

ASUS Geforce 780

G Skill low latency memory (not overclocked) - 8 G

Windows 7

The system is very stable even with all of this running. 

You're running out of video memory... that video card is far too old and outdated for what you're trying to shove into it.

• Like 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69