Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

P3D V4 Keeps "Forgetting" its Settings...

Hello All

Just recently moved over to P3D V4 from FSX SE and I must confess that I'm not finding the transition particularly easy !

I've currently got two really annoying problems:

Firstly, P3D just will not remember my in-game settings, eg, graphics, AI traffic density, information, labels, frame rate, etc. Every time I go back into the simulator, all of my settings have returned back to their defaults and I find myself going through the whole process again !

Secondly, I cannot get rid of screen tearing. I have vsync On (have tried both in-game and NI), fps set to 30 and triple buffering on, but it will not go. In fact, I can't actually get P3D to run with the NI settings For example, if I set NI to 30fps and P3D to unlimited, P3D still runs at unlimited ?

I'm currently still running FSX SE and have absolutely no graphics issues with that at all.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Regards

Gary

Apparently the profile saves are a known issue and are being looked at by LM.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Thanks for posting - I couldn't find anything so I thought it was just me!  For me, it's pretty much just the max texture load that keeps resetting back to high...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I'm happy that you mentioned your issue with not being able to save profile settings. I'm suffering the identical problem. I save my settings under a specific graphics profile, but P3D will change the settings to something else. When I reload my profile settings, they are different from the ones I saved.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

7 hours ago, David Mills said:

I'm happy that you mentioned your issue with not being able to save profile settings. I'm suffering the identical problem. I save my settings under a specific graphics profile, but P3D will change the settings to something else. When I reload my profile settings, they are different from the ones I saved.

For me, it's more than just the graphics profiles (which are also forgotten)  - it's everything! Even a general purpose setting like disabling aircraft labels gets reset next time I load the Sim? 

Ideas anyone? 

Regards 

Gary 

21 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

For me, it's more than just the graphics profiles (which are also forgotten)  - it's everything! Even a general purpose setting like disabling aircraft labels gets reset next time I load the Sim? 

Ideas anyone? 

Regards 

Gary 

hmm interesting.. I have troubles to save the max cloud draw distance. It keeps reducing all the time. I'm not sure however if active sky is resetting it. 
Btw. it's 110NM in both AS and P3d. But P3d is resetting it to 100NM as soon as I close the app.

Same problem.

Try manually changing settings but do not save them. Works for me, they are still the same after a restart.

Active sky will change cloud draw distance.

Mick

1 hour ago, onurair said:

hmm interesting.. I have troubles to save the max cloud draw distance. It keeps reducing all the time. I'm not sure however if active sky is resetting it. 
Btw. it's 110NM in both AS and P3d. But P3d is resetting it to 100NM as soon as I close the app.

I can confirm P3D is resetting cloud draw distance to 100nmi. Even when set 250nmi in ASP4.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

31 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

Same problem.

Try manually changing settings but do not save them. Works for me, they are still the same after a restart

Not sure that I under what you mean by manually changing a setting, but not saving it? 

Regards 

I had this problem when I used a non-default aircraft in my saved default flight.  After I changed back to a default aircraft (in my case, the Cub) in my saved default flight it's fine now.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

6 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Not sure that I under what you mean by manually changing a setting, but not saving it? 

Regards 

Just go to graphics settings change whatever items you wish then exit without saving. for me the next time I start the sim the settings are exactly as I left them. 

Mick

Just a thought,  are you running Prepar3d with administrator rights?

(Find the Prepar3D.exe file, right click on it, select Properties, Compatibility,  put a check mark for "Run this program as an administrator")

Do this, regardless if your windows profile is already has Administrator rights.

Don't know if this will help solve your problem, but it sounds like your Prepar3d program cannot save its settings, and this usually is a permissions issue when writing to files on your hard drive.

• Upvote 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Hello All

Many thanks for all of your suggestions, but no luck. I still can't fathom what's going on ?

Here is an example exert from my Prepar3D.cfg relating to AI traffic density during and after exiting the previous session:

[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=100
GADensity=0
FreewayDensity=0
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=100
LeisureBoatsDensity=100

I can clearly see that all % values agree with those that I previously setup whilst in the sim - the same goes for all the other settings within the file that I haven't posted.

However, here is a screen shot of the equivalent options screen in P3D, the next time that I loaded it:

Options%20-%20Traffic_zpsawvfyeup.jpg

As you can see, all of the settings have reverted back to their defaults of 0%? What's even more weird is that the .cfg file is still showing the 100% values as seen in the exert above when opened at the same time ?

I can only conclude (at the moment) that P3D has no problems writing to the .cfg - it's reading from it that's giving it the issues ?

Any thoughts ?

Regards

Gary

Edit: I have now set Prepar3D.cfg to Read Only which correctly prevents me from editing the file with a text editor, but seems to make absolutely no difference to P3D when it first loads and then some how, it is still able to write to the .cfg file when I adjust values from within the sim ???

I had a similar problem recently after installing FSUIPC.  A number of Sliders were changed to 0, Texture Resolution changed each time I ran P3Dv4, no Hat Switch on my Logitech 3DPro, etc. Problems continued even after deleting the cfg file.

Had to reinstall P3Dv4, I'm forgetting about FCUIPC for the moment.

Trevor