Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Ending support for older simulator versions?

The people who wish to stay with FS4 thru P3D 3.4 as their sim of choice, have nobody stopping them. I fly in older versions on older PC's occasionally, no big deal.  

I hope all developers will drop all 32-bit flight sims fast. Its time we got real serious about achieving realism far greater than the gaming industry.

I believe P3Dv4 is more of a big deal than I think any of us realize at this point; its progress will likely trample 32-bit under hoof....bye 32-bit.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, pracines said:

I believe P3Dv4 is more of a big deal than I think any of us realize at this point; its progress will likely trample 32-bit under hoof....bye 32-bit.

I am in TOTAL agreement here. P3D4 is just the tip of the iceberg. With the beginnings of "standardization" and 64bit it will give developers the confidence to expend the man hours coming up with new fantastic product because they know the will have a stable platform.

Much to be excited about I think.

Vic

• Upvote 7

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

64 bit and onwards. Enough of last generations software. We now have simulations (P3Dv4,XP11, FS2) which have huge growth potential because of the memory access.

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Just touched down with V4 at CYYC with the PMDG 747, Active Sky, Ultimate Traffic Live. Another flight that was flawless and smooth as butter.

Bye bye 32bit

• Upvote 3

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

As third party developers remove the constraints of coding an FSX-compatible product to fit into a modern platform, and create products to take advantage of the robust v4 SDK and beyond (v4.1, 4.2, etc.) the v4 add-ons we shall see might include:

• Significantly more variation in the size and types of autogen trees within a scene instead of the same tree repeated a thousand times
  • A much larger variety of houses that look like houses instead of cubes
  • Roads and highways that look more real to life
  • Global dynamic lighting that can be implemented like X-Plane
  • A weather engine that we all crave
  • A much more true-to-life ATC experience
  • Ground-level tessellation that displays ground details as one gets closer similar to what is achieved in Outerra, which could include grass, dirt, mountainside rock detail, rain puddles, snow accumulation, etc.
  •  Rain and snow windshield effects
  • Physics Based Rendering (PBR)
  • More accurate and useful aircraft damage modeling
  • Realistic-looking runways and aprons
  • Lake, river, and ocean water that resembles that of modern games
  • etc., etc., etc.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

2 hours ago, Venturi said:

Edit 

Bryan York had just announced an up grade fee for all products v4

That's actually  wrong. 

A full new purchase of fs2crew all products is required if you switch to v 4.

ZORAN

7 minutes ago, Ando010 said:

I do that with my 32-bit sim all day every day and have for years without issues. So not really interested in moving one iota. 

Well.... good for you ;)

• Upvote 1

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

It's my hope that developers as soon as possible drop the older platforms - up and including Prepar3D V3.X! I'm happy to read, that it's going in that direction. It's a necessity for the contentious evolvement of the platform and securing it's future. 

@Ando010 - No one is holding a gun to your head, and demanding that you change platforms - ever! But if you expect to be able to get the latest addons in terms of sceneries, aircrafts and utilities, you will have to. It's the direction it's going and it's refreshing (and quite surprising) that the developers are already talking (and coordinating) it. 

Again, people. It's just my personal opinion. (<-- maybe I should put that in my signature?)

• Upvote 4

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

13 minutes ago, Ando010 said:

I do that with my 32-bit sim all day every day and have for years without issues. 

The 4 GB VAS limit, lets be honest, is an issue for 32-bit sims. It looms when using hi quality add-ons, as you say you fly all day every day. Manageable, yes, but it is an issue.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps this abrupt transition is the reason developers are updating their scenery for free or at the cost of a little fee.

Let us go the 64 bit way , all the way...

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I can understand companies wanting to make this decision but at the moment it is premature. Products made for fsx still outsell all the other sims put together , P3Dv4 is as good as dead they have had how many years to make fsx better ???  in all that time they have slightly improved the graphics and gone 64bit, this should have been done 5 years ago !!!   but like sheep we go and pay for a minor upgrade every year and we are still stuck with the flight dynamics from fs2000 as well as the scenery which when one looks at V4 looks really grim. I am tired of playing the LM game , I have been playing with the XP11 demo for some months now and am convinced that having seen the differences in the 2 companies at flightsimcon the way forward for me is XP11 it is after all currently 2 years ahead of P3D v4 with decent scenery and night time graphice that LM can only dream of and XP will only stretch that lead further and further as LM has only 2 speeds for its development , dead slow and stopped.

• Upvote 2

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

.....get off the fence and buy V4 even if it is just going to sit on your hard drive for the next 6 months

I have no intention of wasting money on something that I will not use for six months. I am pretty sure that the flight simulation industry will survive my apocalyptic decision. I appreciate that the 64bit version of P3D is a major step forward, but I will only upgrade when I am ready to do so.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

I have no intention of wasting money on something that I will not use for six months. I am pretty sure that the flight simulation industry will survive my apocalyptic decision.

chris i have v4 and believe me you are missing out on nothing

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

I'm fairly certain it will... :smile:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

10 minutes ago, captain bligh said:

I can understand companies wanting to make this decision but at the moment it is premature. Products made for fsx still outsell all the other sims put together , P3Dv4 is as good as dead they have had how many years to make fsx better ???  in all that time they have slightly improved the graphics and gone 64bit, this should have been done 5 years ago !!!   but like sheep we go and pay for a minor upgrade every year and we are still stuck with the flight dynamics from fs2000 as well as the scenery which when one looks at V4 looks really grim. I am tired of playing the LM game , I have been playing with the XP11 demo for some months now and am convinced that having seen the differences in the 2 companies at flightsimcon the way forward for me is XP11 it is after all currently 2 years ahead of P3D v4 with decent scenery and night time graphice that LM can only dream of and XP will only stretch that lead further and further as LM has only 2 speeds for its development , dead slow and stopped.

"P3Dv4 is as good as dead???". That's quite funny, have you not been reading these forums since its release? People are excited, much more so than previous P3D version updates. And, as per the many comments here, developer engagement is excellent.

Enjoy x-plane, it's a decent sim.

• Upvote 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."