Sign in to follow this  
Jim Harnes

iFly 737NG for P3Dv4 Released

I would love to see some pics if you have a chance to post them. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

On 6/27/2017 at 7:13 AM, Dirk98 said:

This one is just killing me, I love PMDG, but I can't help myself, I can't even watch youtube videos with PMDG737 because the windshield is distorted. Ifly737 windshield geometry looks much much better. 

Dirk

I had iFly 737 for Fs9 long time ago and now NGX for FSX and P3D but I still don't really understand the "geometry" thing that people is talking. Can anybody post pictures comparison to clear my mind little bit?

Thank you,

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

9 minutes ago, Hoang said:

I still don't really understand the "geometry" thing that people is talking.

The PMDG 737 has abnormally large cockpit windows when seen from the POV of the Capt. The Devs have gone on record saying this was a liberty taken to improve the experience of the simmer and to allow for the HGS to standout from a practical perspective. As many simmers are quite pedantic, this was an instant point of contention. 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

11 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

The PMDG 737 has abnormally large cockpit windows when seen from the POV of the Capt. The Devs have gone on record saying this was a liberty taken to improve the experience of the simmer and to allow for the HGS to standout from a practical perspective. As many simmers are quite pedantic, this was an instant point of contention. 

Thank you for the information, so is it just on the captain side or also on the FO side? Because I have only used the FO side since I bought NGX.

Sorry could not check it now since I only have V4 installed.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

1 minute ago, Hoang said:

is it just on the captain side or also on the FO side...

Both sides.

Here you go, three pics, compare away, obviously the perspective from the various viewpoints alters things slightly, but it's close enough to get an idea:

Real 737:

Boeing_zpsjxgh1umv.png

PMDG:

PMDG_zpsyuvwjfqw.png

iFly:

iFly_zpskwhrccmr.png

Obviously the iFly's window is more like the correct aspect ratio, but to be honest, who really cares? I'm more interested in if you can actually see out of the thing, because in the real thing you could just move your head around to shift your viewpoint or lift your arse off the seat for a second if you wanted to see a bit more ground in front of you, so anything which facilitates not having to arse about shifting your viewpoint in the simulator is better than being nerdy about whether it is the right shape in the VC.

So I don't blame PMDG for changing things a bit to make that easier, as who wants to be faffing about with Control+Shift+Return/Backspace when on short finals fighting a crosswind? So yeah, nerds can take a tape measure to the iFly one and say it is more accurately dimensioned, but pilots will be more arsed about whether they can actually fly the goddam thing without arsing around with keyboard shortcuts lol.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Chock! Looks pretty nice in that first pic. 

On 6/26/2017 at 3:05 PM, mpw8679 said:

Ya I'm having NGX withdrawals pretty bad.  I'm hoping they do an update in the future to bring it up to date like the 747.  That aircraft is a masterpiece.  Then I will fork out the money.  

I haven't tried the 747 because I don't do that many long-hauls but I hear a lot of great things about it.  I'm getting increasingly-tempted to buy the Ifly as PMDG is still preparing the NGX for v4.  Have you bought it yet?

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Here you go, three pics, compare away, obviously the perspective from the various viewpoints alters things slightly, but it's close enough to get an idea:

Real 737:

Boeing_zpsjxgh1umv.png

PMDG:

PMDG_zpsyuvwjfqw.png

iFly:

iFly_zpskwhrccmr.png

Obviously the iFly's window is more like the correct aspect ratio, but to be honest, who really cares? I'm more interested in if you can actually see out of the thing, because in the real thing you could just move your head around to shift your viewpoint or lift your arse off the seat for a second if you wanted to see a bit more ground in front of you, so anything which facilitates not having to arse about shifting your viewpoint in the simulator is better than being nerdy about whether it is the right shape in the VC.

So I don't blame PMDG for changing things a bit to make that easier, as who wants to be faffing about with Control+Shift+Return/Backspace when on short finals fighting a crosswind? So yeah, nerds can take a tape measure to the iFly one and say it is more accurately dimensioned, but pilots will be more arsed about whether they can actually fly the goddam thing without arsing around with keyboard shortcuts lol.

Yeah, a lot of people bring up the windows in the NGX, but for me I don't really notice at all.  From the looks of the comparison pictures, I don't think I could stare at the iFly cockpit while flying, it definitely needs an upgrade.  But for the price, and lack of a better option atm, it may be worth it. 

The iFly one does the job, in that it simulates pretty much everything you need for realistic flights. I'd prefer if it had some more of the night lighting functions of the real thing, erm, functioning, and one or two other (admittedly kind of obscure for most flights) buttons working might be nice, but generally speaking I think it's pretty much on par with the PMDG one for what I'd call 'typical' flight simming. Whenever I feel like I want to simulate everything including the kitchen sink (and sometimes I do), then the PMDG one is the one for that, so I'll doubtless end up with the PMDG one for P3D as well as the FSX one I already have (more expense, yawn), but for most things, I'm in good shape (especially where the windscreen shape is concerned lol) with the iFly one.

Alan Bradbury

18 hours ago, Chock said:

Just had the 737-700ER freak out on me whilst flying on LNAV and VNAV. It was passing about 6,000 feet having just departed Liverpool en route for Stuttgart when it suddenly pitched up really steep and the speed dropped off to below 150 causing it to stall with the nose pitched up at well over 30 degrees. Needless to say it started dropping like a stone,

Interesting, I've seen that phenomenon as well, on 3 out of 4 take-offs. Although I had a harder time coping with, as the pitch-up tendency continued for a while even after switching to manual. The rest of the flights were perfectly normal. Back then I chocked it up to a defective joystick that was also connected at the time and which was giving erratic readings on the elevator axis. I then eventually switched to different aircraft, but I've now recieved a replacement joystick and will have to give it another look.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Since installing the latest P3D hotfix my 737 just CTD on loading..

Anyone else?

Nope, it's not affected it. I'd try reinstalling the 737 because it had some other thing pop up and install along with the 737 when I did it (wasn't paying much attention, I just clicked okay, but it was some 'simulation' plug in or some such).

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Nope, it's not affected it. I'd try reinstalling the 737 because it had some other thing pop up and install along with the 737 when I did it (wasn't paying much attention, I just clicked okay, but it was some 'simulation' plug in or some such).

Well I actually prefer the first pic :blink:

• Upvote 1

André