Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Moving Jetways - How important are they to you?

Moving jetways are a must-have for me.  Since I fly tubeliners 90% of the time, the immersion is killed if the jetways do not move.

1 minute ago, Greggy_D said:

Moving jetways are a must-have for me.  Since I fly tubeliners 90% of the time, the immersion is killed if the jetways do not move.

I agree.  I with you on this.  Payware airports should have moving jetways.

I think some think it is cool to say "I don't need eye-candy", but the virtual cockpit used to be eye-candy and a lot of simmers would say "I only use 2D cockpit and don't want a VC on my aircraft". Well now very few would even consider buying an aircraft without a VC.

We should have as much realism as possible, and moving jetways falls in that category.

Bob

• Upvote 3

I like flying the big birds, so moving jetways are a part of that. 

• Upvote 1

“Flying should not be a journey to the destination with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved Aircraft,

but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of smoke down the runway, engines on fire, passengers screaming, physically worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! That was one hell of a Ride and we're on Schedule!”

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

8 For, 4 against, 1 mixed.

I don't think any people are actually 'against' them so much as not regarding it as particularly important to them, and that could be for a number of reasons.

For example, if you fly GA aeroplanes or classic airliners all the time, you're not really going to regard jetways - or to use their proper name - passenger boarding bridges (PBBs), as a critical feature, since GA aeroplanes don't generally need any sort of stairs at all except in the case of larger private jets, and prior to about 1960, there was no such thing as a PBB at all, so old airliners tended to use either portable stairs mounted on a truck, or their own built-in airstairs. Or, if you like flying airliners which are the quick turnaround budget carriers such as Easyjet and Ryanair, you might have noticed that they often do not use PBBs, and that's because airports charge more for using those than they do for using airstairs at remote stands

And personally, I quite like airstairs and mobile stairs when flying on an airliner, because I like to have a good nosey at the aeroplane when I walk up to it on the apron to board it, and you can't really do that when boarding through a tunnel.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, YukonPete said:

about as pointless as moving control surfaces? 

Lol, well it is flight simulator, not airport simulator but still, like I said, each to their own. The op asked for opinion so I gave it. 

To be frank, most of the aircraft I fly you can see the control surfaces from the cockpit or cabin and I'm interested in flying not pushback ops so again.....as a personal choice I couldn't care less if an addon airport has moving jetways or not. In fact, as long as there is an option to disable so I get my fps back I don't care if the scenery has them or doesn't have them. Simples. 

• Upvote 1

Very important. I fly 737s, 747,777, airbuses, etc. The whole of this flightsim world is increasing realism not decreasing realism. All games and simulators move forward in realism, immersion and authenticity. P3Dv4 should be no exception. Now that we have a 64 bit platform and I don't have to worry about OOMs please bring it on. We already have moving passengers in the jetways in the  the new ENGM, ENBR and more to come.  The jetways are controlled via SODE as are the moving passengers. I just bought LFPG  TAXI2GATE airport with moving jetways via SODE. I was very happy even though the airport is P3Dv.1-3 compatible was happy to see it ported over perfectly with working jetways via SODE. Next thing is that I'd like the passengers to actually enter the aircraft and sit down. lol. 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

20 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Next thing is that I'd like the passengers to actually enter the aircraft and sit down. lol. 

I won't be satisfied with the realism levels until we have United Airlines repaints which have baggage handlers throwing guitars around, whilst just visible through the windows of the airliner, you will be able to discern over-zealous security staff dragging protesting semi-conscious passengers back onto those movable jetways. Every once in a while, UK2000 airports will become jam-packed with British Airways airliners, owing to a ticketing system failure, whilst across the channel, ATC will be unavailable at French airports as their Air Traffic Controllers go on strike. Again. :laugh:

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Glenn, you need to chill on the submit reply button a little. :laugh:

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I personally couldn't care less if the jetway to my aircraft worked or not as I wouldn't see it 99% of the time as it was. But I do want to see them on the AI as it just looks wrong operating around the airport without them attached to the traffic. It's nice to have for screenshots but it's no game changer.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Hello there Ray!

I've been told by two experienced scenery developers that adding movable jetways consumes a fair amount of resources, and under 32-bit sims the footprint of today's payware scenery is usually pretty large already - some barely leaving room for a payware airliner, so every bit a developer can save for non-essential items is important.  Now I don't know for sure, but I'm inclined to think that one of the design benefits of using SODE Jetways is that they consume less resources as they seem to be injected to one gate/stand rather than having them available at each position when the scenery is loaded.

I have to admit that I don't always use them even when I'm at an airport that has working jetways, but a part of the reason is that I'm used to airports that don't have them.  I use them 100% of the time when I'm doing a high-end stream or training or promotional video.

The short answer for me:  I'd like to have them  available, and if they were available at more airports then I'd likely use them more often.

See you on the other side my friend.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

As I have a realsize cockpit I do not want to bring up a menu on my windscreen and choose options...

If a jetway connected automatically to me I sure want that...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I love them but only when they are well done. That means not the Ctrl-J kind. I think it was just a shame that EHAM from FlyTampa only had this silly moving Ctrl-J jetways and not the SODE ones. They really can make a difference. I think on a mega airport they are a must feature and that is why I didn't buy EDDF from Aerosoft. They had no moving jetways at all.

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

If I'm simulating passenger flights, I think the immersion of a moving jetway is essential.

• Upvote 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Im using a flight simulator not an aerobridge simulator.

Many flights dont even use aerobridges...cream on top that i can easily live without and if it effects FPS i can always live without.

Darren Howie

I like moving jetways - but if the scenery is fine otherwise and there are no moving jetways - well.... then it is like it is.