StamPilot

Are lights in P3D v.4 the same as Shockvawe lights?

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to ask those who already own P3D v4. Are the lights effects there (i.e. the way lights look when it is a foggy or rainy weather, the effects like Shockvawe 3D lights have been giving to FSX)  look realistic, better than in default FSX? Do they look the same as FSX with Shockvawe Redux?  Or we still need to wait till some addon like Shockvawe is released? I do not meen here the way lights actually LIGHT ground and objects, this feature is available inP3D v.4.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It really is apples-and-oranges...

To my knowledge, the lighting and lights in Prepar3D V4 is actual light sources. Shockwave lights (and lighting in FSX and previous P3D) is still textures and/or effects. They don't illuminate anything.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

It really is apples-and-oranges...

To my knowledge, the lighting and lights in Prepar3D V4 is actual light sources. Shockwave lights (and lighting in FSX and previous P3D) is still textures and/or effects. They doesn't illuminate anything.

Anders, thank you for reply.  And are those light sources in P3D sufficient enough for simmer to be happy with the look? Or we need to add some effects like Shockwave to be absolutely happy? 

Share this post


Link to post

IMO I think it looks absolutely amazing! Mostly because the lighting is dynamic. I hope they optimize performance in time but right now, it looks very nice!

@onebob - what sim is that picture from?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes! I agree but with ai traffic navigation lights. Those big circles are not realist. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I must disagree with Anders. I have shockwave lights in FSX and now have P3Dv4 but the lights, strobes etc reallu are back to basics in my opinion. Especially once you got to like shockwave.

Lighting in P3DV4 is awesome but aircraft lights still need shockwave.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, phmcr said:

I must disagree with Anders. I have shockwave lights in FSX and now have P3Dv4 but the lights, strobes etc reallu are back to basics in my opinion. Especially once you got to like shockwave.

Lighting in P3DV4 is awesome but aircraft lights still need shockwave.

I like them. IMO they look realistic - AND they're actual light sources! It makes a world of difference in my personal opinion. It's a personal preference. I think the Shockwave lights are a bit overdone and exaggerated.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StamPilot said:

And are those light sources in P3D sufficient enough for simmer to be happy with the look? Or we need to add some effects like Shockwave to be absolutely happy? 

Haha, I'm so looking forward to the day when simmers will be absolutely happy. :gaul:

I agree with Anders, I like the new lights. They illuminate things nicely.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I agree P3DV4 lighting is a major improvement over any previous version including shockwave. My UT AI aircraft taxi and takeoff lights now illuminate the ground nicely, particularly the taxi light, very subtle.

I guess developers will only improve on it more as time goes on. But for now LM is off to a great start.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Now we only need the clouds to be susceptible to the dynamic lighting... 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

IMO I think it looks absolutely amazing! Mostly because the lighting is dynamic. I hope they optimize performance in time but right now, it looks very nice!

@onebob - what sim is that picture from?

Prepar3D V4 HF1 with Dynamic lighting on.  poor visibility FTX New Zealand.  (too foggy to take off)

0qcbH9P.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Providing a developer has done all the work with stuff, the P3D lights can look really cool. They are a bit more sophisticated than Shockwave lights, but you need plenty of the P3D FPS-hungry options ticked to get the best out of them. Here's the iFly 737 with them lighting up some parked aeroplanes and vehicles in P3D V4 at UK2000's EGGP: One thing I did notice about the lights on the iFly 737 with that dynamic malarkey going on, is the wingtip nav lights actually illuminate the outer edges of the flap canoes on the underside of its wings, which is subtle, but it does indicate the kind of thing that dynamic lighting achieves.

10_zpsqgrsfhga.png

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Chock said:

the wingtip nav lights actually illuminate the outer edges of the flap canoes on the underside of its wings, which is subtle, but it does indicate the kind of thing that dynamic lighting achieves.

Alan, that is one of the neat features. For years I've had to create custom .fx files that would sort-of-kind-of produce the colored 'ground light splash' under the nav lights via a trial and error process...

...lots of trials with eventual success!

Now it is totally automatic. Thanks L-M!

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Now it is totally automatic. Thanks L-M!

Indeed... and as it should be :smile:
Now I wish that clouds would could receive dynamic lighting as well... Maybe it'll come?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Indeed... and as it should be :smile:
Now I wish that clouds would could receive dynamic lighting as well... Maybe it'll come?

Not sure your computer is powerful enough for that... ;)

Share this post


Link to post

 

19 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Not sure your computer is powerful enough for that... ;)

Perhaps not... On the other hand, I've always loved a good slide-show. :laugh:

On a serious note, though... you may have a point...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now