kfd

Milviz - Upgrade to P3D v4 Payments

Recommended Posts

Just received this from Just Flight.  Waht gives, Milviz??

 

Dear Sir or Madam,

As you bought the following aircraft for FSX and P3D from the Just Flight website, we thought we'd let you know that the software has now been updated for P3D v4 compatibility:

F-100D Super Sabre: https://www.justflight.com/product/milviz-f100d-super-sabre-p3dv4

Unfortunately, MilViz are charging Just Flight customers for this update – unlike ourselves and most other developers from whom we have received P3D v4 updates – and in spite of the fact that they are providing the update free of charge to customers who bought the aircraft direct from MilViz.

So, it is with great reluctance that we must charge you £3.50 / €4.50 / $5.00 for this update.

If you do wish to get the new P3D v4 compatible aircraft, just buy it as you would normally from the above link to the Just Flight website and use the discount code- this will reduce the marked price to £3.50 / €4.50 / $5.99.

If you do NOT wish to purchase the new P3D v4 version, your existing purchase will, of course, remain in your account and flyable in your simulator.

Once again, our sincere apologies for having to charge you for this update but I’m afraid the decision was taken out of our hands.

Best wishes,

The Just Flight Crew

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ripoff!

Are they charging extra to pay for bandwidth? Are they charging just for Milviz or all products?

That's enough to discourage me from purchasing from resellers in the future.

Share this post


Link to post

Either Just Flight need better checks in place or that code shouldn't have been shared publicly, because it works for everyone, regardless if you own it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, bills511 said:

Ripoff!

Are they charging extra to pay for bandwidth? Are they charging just for Milviz or all products?

That's enough to discourage me from purchasing from resellers in the future.

If you go to Milviz website you would know that the 5$ upgrade is from MilViz for P3Dv4 upgrade.  It's not free as Just Flight claims.  If you buy new from MilViz, the price includes the 5$ upgrade fees.  

Share this post


Link to post

This isn't a shot at Just Flight - it is at Milviz for introducing a fee for the update - but only aiming it at re-sellers, which is unfair, as we all buy exactly the same product.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

If you go to Milviz website you would know that the 5$ upgrade is from MilViz for P3Dv4 upgrade.  It's not free as Just Flight claims.  If you buy new from MilViz, the price includes the 5$ upgrade fees.  

Not so. I updated my F86 to P3Dv4. No charge.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, bills511 said:

Not so. I updated my F86 to P3Dv4. No charge.

This is correct.

 

Milviz does *not* charge for updates if you purchased direct from them.

 

Regarding the person who said it's "unfair", they also get less profit when selling through a reseller...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

This is correct.

 

Milviz does *not* charge for updates if you purchased direct from them.

 

Regarding the person who said it's "unfair", they also get less profit when selling through a reseller...

Are they obliged to use reselles ...?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, neucoas said:

Are they obliged to use reselles ...?

Nope, and neither are you :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I can also confirm that Milviz did not charge for the P3D v4 version of my F86, which I bought directly from them.

Having said that, I'm not too happy with Milviz lately. They have released "updated" versions of three aircraft which I bought only months earlier and while I could upgrade at a reduced price, that reduced price was still substantially higher than the average price of most other FSX/P3D add-ons. As a result, I only took up the offer on one of the aircraft, the F86 as I really like that era aircraft and it came with TacPak (which I've never actually used). The other two, the TA-38 and UH-1C Huey "Redux", I didn't bother, so I'm still stuck with two older unsupported versions.

In addition, I bought two Milviz aircraft, the P-38 Redbull Redux and JU-87 Stuka, which only months after I bought them were released as freeware. While the rest of the flight sim community was obviously very happy about that, I was the sucker who sponsored that and got nothing in return.

I'm in two minds about Milviz; one half of me says yes they produce great aircraft and deserve to charge well-above average prices and for every little iteration and upgrade, the other half of me says that they have become greedy and unscrupulous. Unfortunately it is the latter half of me which is winning at the moment, because I have stopped buying their products. This little exercise with JustFlight further supports my decision. I've had many dealings with JustFlight and they are one of the fairest and honest companies I have dealt with. So, if they say that it is Milviz which is responsible for the "upgrade" fee, then it is obvious who I will believe.

Share this post


Link to post

And so it begins.... Lockheed-Martin's P3D Exclusive Club hasn't been very Exclusive until the change to 64-bit, and no-one can really accuse the P3D 3rd party developers of being greedy and unscrupulous - the one thing everyone knows about Exclusive Clubs is that they can charge whatever they like, how else can they stay Exclusive?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Conversion of C/C++ code from 32-bit to 64-bit isn't always a simple matter of a recompile.  I suppose you think the developers should be doing that work unpaid?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

MilViz did indicate it's policy here:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think that's the point he is making at all Ed. No need to defend an attack that hasn't materialised.

I think the point of the OP is why a penalty for people purchasing through JustFlight and not for those purchasing direct. The 'work to convert' you mentioned was required, regardless of customer type. It's a clear play of "we won't charge direct customers because we already made more profit on the sale to them. We will charge people buying through resellers though because we didn't make as much first time round" Whilst that's all fine. It's strange for a developer to have that attitude and make it a sour experience for the customer. Maybe just don't sell through resellers then? Oh, you like the big exposure they give you, you say... well then value JustFlights contribution to your marketing and don't pass on costs to the end user.. The OP is right to feel a bit put out, but Dev's can do as they please of course.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Martyn Pearson said:

I don't think that's the point he is making at all Ed. No need to defend an attack that hasn't materialised.

I think the point of the OP is why a penalty for people purchasing through JustFlight and not for those purchasing direct. The 'work to convert' you mentioned was required, regardless of customer type. It's a clear play of "we won't charge direct customers because we already made more profit on the sale to them. We will charge people buying through resellers though because we didn't make as much first time round" Whilst that's all fine. It's strange for a developer to have that attitude and make it a sour experience for the customer. Maybe just don't sell through resellers then? Oh, you like the big exposure they give you, you say... well then value JustFlights contribution to your marketing and don't pass on costs to the end user.. The OP is right to feel a bit put out, but Dev's can do as they please of course.

 

So I take it you think the resellers should work for free? In many businesses who sell both direct and through resellers this is always an issue. The developer has a choice, sell it through a reseller and take less profit due to reseller charges, increase the cost to cover the reseller charges and/or sell direct and not have any reseller charges.

What is happening here is in no way UNFAIR - it's pure business. Milviz needs to make $xx.xx/sale and if there are additional charges added by the reseller - they pass them on.

Vic

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.