joepoway

New P3Dv4 GTN 750 working in A2A C172 and Real Air Turbine Duke

Recommended Posts

After installing the new Flight 1 GTN Complete version I was able to get the GTN 750 to work in my RA Turbine Duke and A2A C172 in P3Dv4 !

On my system I installed my A2A aircraft into the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder in my Documents, I did the same thing for my Real Air Duke Turbine.

Ironically the PMDG aircraft I installed didn't use this approach and installed directly into the sim (like Orbx does).

There seems to be a problem for the F1 GTN configure app when you open it because it seems to only see default P3dv4 aircraft and the add-ons that went directly into the P3Dv4 install folder like the PMDG in my case. The other add-ons, that work fine in the sim, like A2A and my RA Duke do not show up in the F1 GTN config list as they were all installed outside of the main P3Dv4 install.

 

However (in my case) if you go into:

    Prepar3D v4 Add-ons > A2A > A2A > Cessna172 > Tools > C172 Aircraft Configurator.exe

        Run it and change the GPS to 750 it works like a charm!

 

Likewise for the RA Duke you need to run its Config Panel.exe file and select Flight1 GTN 750 under the GPS & Radios tab

    My path to that file is the following:

      Docs > Prepar3D v4 Add-ons > Turbine Duke V2 P3D3 > RealAir > duketvv2p3d2 > Config Panel.exe

My path to the RA Duke Config Panel file may be different than yours as I just copied my entire original Turbine Duke V2 P3D3 folder without changing file names into my Prepared 3D v4 Add-ons folder and used the add-on.xml approach.

 

Bottom line I now have the GTN 750 working in my Duke Turbine and in my A2A C172 and all is good for now in P3Dv4 land!

Joe

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For those of you that want to make set-up edits to the F1 GTN 750 through the F1 GTN config tool this method works to get it to show in the list of aircraft but it is not necessary to get it to work in the aircraft if you followed my previous post a little before this one.

__________________________________________

From the other GTN 750 released post:

The way I got my A2A aircraft (installed in P3Dv4) to show in the F1 GTN Config list was to copy the aircraft root folder (for example, A2A_C182 folder for the Skylane) from it's install location in the "Documents" folder over to the Prepar3d\SimObjects\Airplanes folder, then configure using the F1 Config tool.  Once done copy the A2A_C182 folder back over to Prepa3d v4's "Documents" location.  Kinda messy but it works till we get it all sorted out.  The F1 GTN Config tool seems to require much the same file structure for installed aircraft as we've been use to.

HTH

Greg

_____________________________________________

Hi Greg

I used your approach and it worked.

However once I made the settings I wanted in the F1 GTN Configurator, particularly setting CPU to Core 1 i.e. the 2nd core to keep it off the first core as well as a couple other settings I prefer and copied that file back into the add-on folder I than deleted the A2A aircraft folder from the P3Dv4 root folder because it's not supposed to be there. I tested the settings changes I made and they all are working but obviously the aircraft doesn't show up anymore in the F1 GTN list. I won't have to make any further changes so that's OK and this way I don't have to worry about the aircraft folder being in the P3Dv4 root folder and the add-ons folder.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

Another option for customizing your GTN in these birds is simply to browse to the root aircraft folders and open the "F1GTN.INI" file in notepad.

You can then make all necessary changes, file, and save.  Does the same as the F1 GTN CONFIG tool.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, joepoway said:

After installing the new Flight 1 GTN Complete version I was able to get the GTN 750 to work in my RA Turbine Duke and A2A C172 in P3Dv4 !

On my system I installed my A2A aircraft into the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder in my Documents, I did the same thing for my Real Air Duke Turbine.

Ironically the PMDG aircraft I installed didn't use this approach and installed directly into the sim (like Orbx does).

There seems to be a problem for the F1 GTN configure app when you open it because it seems to only see default P3dv4 aircraft and the add-ons that went directly into the P3Dv4 install folder like the PMDG in my case. The other add-ons, that work fine in the sim, like A2A and my RA Duke do not show up in the F1 GTN config list as they were all installed outside of the main P3Dv4 install.

 

However (in my case) if you go into:

    Prepar3D v4 Add-ons > A2A > A2A > Cessna172 > Tools > C172 Aircraft Configurator.exe

        Run it and change the GPS to 750 it works like a charm!

 

Likewise for the RA Duke you need to run its Config Panel.exe file and select Flight1 GTN 750 under the GPS & Radios tab

    My path to that file is the following:

      Docs > Prepar3D v4 Add-ons > Turbine Duke V2 P3D3 > RealAir > duketvv2p3d2 > Config Panel.exe

My path to the RA Duke Config Panel file may be different than yours as I just copied my entire original Turbine Duke V2 P3D3 folder without changing file names into my Prepared 3D v4 Add-ons folder and used the add-on.xml approach.

 

Bottom line I now have the GTN 750 working in my Duke Turbine and in my A2A C172 and all is good for now in P3Dv4 land!

Joe

I do all this and it has no effect the GTN 750 is non functional.  What am I missing?

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I do all this and it has no effect the GTN 750 is non functional.  What am I missing?

Bruceb

I'm not sure.

If you successfully installed the new version when you launch he F1 GTN CONFIG tool does it show the list of all the default aircraft if it doesn't something is wrong with the install.

If it does show in the list and you followed the first part of the instruction above does the GTN 750 show in the C172 panel?

If it does but isn't on make sure you turned the device on with the "on knob"

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

My GTN Complete, just purchased, will not launch unless i start the sim (P3d) with the anti virus turned off. I use AVG Free.

Once the sim is up and running I can turn virus protection back on and all is well.

I have no idea why it is like this.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post

Can confirm Comanche 250 is also working great using the A2A tool

 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone have the FSX version of the Turbine Duke installed in P3D?  When I try to apply any changes in the Real Air configurator, ie on the GPS page to enable the 750 I get a series of errors stating unable to write to XML and no edits are saved.  To start cold and dark which is another option in the configurator I had to edit one of the mentioned XML files and change a line from 1 to 0, or other way round.  I've looked through the XML files for the GPS 750 settings but can't see where to "switch it on".

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, joepoway said:

I'm not sure.

If you successfully installed the new version when you launch he F1 GTN CONFIG tool does it show the list of all the default aircraft if it doesn't something is wrong with the install.

If it does show in the list and you followed the first part of the instruction above does the GTN 750 show in the C172 panel?

If it does but isn't on make sure you turned the device on with the "on knob"

Joe

Where is this "on knob" sr? I can´t turn on GTN750 in my A2a Comanche.

Share this post


Link to post

Ta arching- I had to reset the battery switch and master avionics for it to turn on in the Comanche. My understanding is that's the intended behavior. Hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post

The Duke is great with the 750 integration. I love the planes with 750 integration so I just bought Carenado's PA31T CHEYENNE II. Fantastic turboprop with the GTN 750 integration in the panel. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, JYW said:

Another option for customizing your GTN in these birds is simply to browse to the root aircraft folders and open the "F1GTN.INI" file in notepad.

You can then make all necessary changes, file, and save.  Does the same as the F1 GTN CONFIG tool.

Thanks 

I looked into the .ini file and found the CPU=  line. It looks like 0 is for all cores and 1 is the first core and so on.

I was wondering how to set the second and third cores, might it be:

Core = 1,2 ?

The reason is I move everything off the first core so P3D has it all to itself but I find the GTN app takes anywhere from 6 to 11% of the CPU when it's on and you can double that when you open 2 GTNs on the panel. So when I run it on one core that takes up 40% of that core by itself.

So again I am wondering how to assign it two cores using the .ini file, I know how to do it with other methods but thought it would be slick to just modify the .ini file.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

In this video I show you how to put the GTN 750/650 to the lancair legacy when they are not shown in their configuration tool, very easily and fully functional.

The same goes for the Turbine Duke V2
Greetings.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, joepoway said:

Thanks 

I looked into the .ini file and found the CPU=  line. It looks like 0 is for all cores and 1 is the first core and so on.

I was wondering how to set the second and third cores, might it be:

Core = 1,2 ?

The reason is I move everything off the first core so P3D has it all to itself but I find the GTN app takes anywhere from 6 to 11% of the CPU when it's on and you can double that when you open 2 GTNs on the panel. So when I run it on one core that takes up 40% of that core by itself.

So again I am wondering how to assign it two cores using the .ini file, I know how to do it with other methods but thought it would be slick to just modify the .ini file.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Tried your approach but it didn't seem to work, put a value in:-

[GTN750.1]
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=0
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=6,7
Airplane=1
Play Click=1
TAWS Voice=1
AVDB=0

in task manager it showed AM to be core 5,

tried a value of CPU Core=3 and Task manager indicated a value of 2

Following the thread on F1 support forum before the realease of v 1.22 it was suggesting using all cores. maybe some one could some light on this.

bob

 

Share this post


Link to post

The F1 GTN Config on my system for whatever reason is not editing the dukes panel.cfg so no in panel GTNs.  Can I get around this by using the Duke's FSX panel.cfg which has the F1 GTNs?

Bruceb

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

The F1 GTN Config on my system for whatever reason is not editing the dukes panel.cfg so no in panel GTNs.  Can I get around this by using the Duke's FSX panel.cfg which has the F1 GTNs?

Bruceb

Hi Bruce

I had a similar issue, I have the FSX version of the Duke installed and installed this directly into P3Dv4 in the main sim folder a while back.  Since the release of the GTN750 I found by opening the Real Air configurator and selecting the GTN options in the GPS and Radios tab it resulted in no GTN in the P3D VC.  So last night I played around a bit and got it working.

I realised when I made a change in the Real Air configuration tool which was located in \P3D\Real Air it didn't amend any values in the .INI or .cfg files within my P3D installation.  What it did do is amend the .INI files in my FSX installation under \SimObjects\Airplanes\Real Air!  So I set the options within my Real Air Configurator for all things like Graphics/Realism/GPS and hit apply.  I then copied the contents of SimObjects\Airplanes\Real Air folder (can't remember exactly folder name but its there) into my P3D installation and bingo when I launched P3D I had a fully integrated GTN in the VC.  You probably don't need to copy the whole folder contents if you know which .INI files the Real Air configurator changes but I just copied everything.

I can only assume the Real Air configurator is hard coded to look for FSX.exe and amends FSX installation only via a pesky registry entry, this probably applies if you had the Duke installed under P3Dv3 with the same logic  Bear in mind if you have installed doug dawson's 64 bit sound gauge you will either need to install that again or make a copy of the files you changed and put them back after copying everything over.

I hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, onebob said:

Tried your approach but it didn't seem to work, put a value in:-

[GTN750.1]
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=0
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=6,7
Airplane=1
Play Click=1
TAWS Voice=1
AVDB=0

in task manager it showed AM to be core 5,

tried a value of CPU Core=3 and Task manager indicated a value of 2

Following the thread on F1 support forum before the realease of v 1.22 it was suggesting using all cores. maybe some one could some light on this.

bob

 

So it would appear you can only assign all cores using a value of zero or pick one of the other cores but not two or three in my case of a four core processor. Again I just want to keep it completely off the first core where P3D does primary rendering and loads it at 100% most of the time. As I said the GTN 750 does use quite a bit of CPU and double with 2 installs being utilized like in the RA Duke Turbine if you chose to do so. As you toggle your avionics on and off you can see the load, using task manager, go from nothing to pushing 10% . This is why F1 gave us the option to pick cores to start with.

I use Simstarter to set my cores for all addons even Chaseplane (I run it on the second, third, and forth cores since CP recommends not just one core to avoid potential stutters) but F1 GTN 750 Garmin auto starts with P3D. I'll see what happens if I try to just start it first with Simstarter

As the addons keep becoming available for v4 I am seeing the loading going up and up and finding the settings having to go down so I find core assigning still a beneficial thing even with P3Dv4

 

Joe

 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, joepoway said:

So it would appear you can only assign all cores using a value of zero or pick one of the other cores but not two or three in my case of a four core processor. Again I just want to keep it completely off the first core where P3D does primary rendering and loads it at 100% most of the time. As I said the GTN 750 does use quite a bit of CPU and double with 2 installs being utilized like in the RA Duke Turbine if you chose to do so. As you toggle your avionics on and off you can see the load, using task manager, go from nothing to pushing 10% . This is why F1 gave us the option to pick cores to start with.

I use Simstarter to set my cores for all addons even Chaseplane (I run it on the second, third, and forth cores since CP recommends not just one core to avoid potential stutters) but F1 GTN 750 Garmin auto starts with P3D. I'll see what happens if I try to just start it first with Simstarter

As the addons keep becoming available for v4 I am seeing the loading going up and up and finding the settings having to go down so I find core assigning still a beneficial thing even with P3Dv4

 

Joe

 

using the last two cores option in the 'F1GTN  config' gives a value of 'CPU Core=998' on my 8 core that's 6&7

edit... CPU=999 will give 'all cores'

bob

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, onebob said:

using the last two cores option in the 'F1GTN  config' gives a value of 'CPU Core=998' on my 8 core that's 6&7

edit... CPU=999 will give 'all cores'

bob

 

Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-08-02 at 7:53 PM, joepoway said:

....

__________________________________________

 

However once I made the settings I wanted in the F1 GTN Configurator, particularly setting CPU to Core 1 i.e. the 2nd core to keep it off the first core as well as a couple other settings I prefer ..

Careful.. as best I know, Core=1 in the config app (and ini file) is actually Core0 on your CPU (ie the first core!)

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Careful.. as best I know, Core=1 in the config app (and ini file) is actually Core0 on your CPU (ie the first core!)

Hey Bert

I actually have it set to CPU=2  which is the second core i.e. core 1 of the processor, sorry for the confusion.

Do you know what the F1GTN.ini assignment values are? I'm trying to set any two cores other than the first on my 4 core processor. I looking for 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.

Thanks 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now