Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

Aerosoft will now charge you for 'true' P3Dv4 updates....

Seems like a very contentious issue.  But I cant find any original P3D V3 airport saying its compatible with V4 anywhere on the store pages so not sure why it should be demanded , and no less free. Those older airports were using old ground polys to make everyone happy I presume across different platforms. From reading that thread at AS, its more than just making it compatible with V4, its alot of reworking since many of the airports are outdated and dont match real world charts very well anymore. Theres nothing worse than flying on vatsim with taxi instructions and your scenery doesnt match up. 

That said, if its going to be called Professional version , it better reflect a pro commercial user that demands it being ultra precise and performs very well. Drawback now is , that all these updating of airports to what they are today, will take alot of time. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Exactly. And most are sold as P3D compatible, when they're not or else (beating a dead horse here) they'd just work in V4.

Tom taught me now that I got exactly what I paid for. I disagree but of course they will keep their opinion and keep selling mediocre work. Good thing is:

13 minutes ago, vadriver said:

then i can't think of any aerosoft .masterpieces off hand !!

exactly. All the really talented developers now publish themselves. So there usually is no need to buy anything from them. Unfortunately the guys behind the Antonow 2 decided to go with Aerosoft, which gives them one customer less :)

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

11 minutes ago, vadriver said:

but it's a well purchased masterpiece with many sales to date ,,,, & I'm sure there will be many more "new" sales of the rework.

then i can't think of any aerosoft .masterpieces off hand !!

absolutely, top notch developer, i buy their sceneries without blinking, never got disappointed. More than happy to pay a premium price for such quality. And support is great as well

Absolute rolemodel for every scenery developer

So, if everyone else is better than Aerosoft your problems are solved pretty simple - don't buy Aerosoft stuff :-)

35 Euros for a middle quality airport (as far as I heard form others). Where we're going? P3D v5 airports for 40 Euros? And we actually still don't know where flight simulator development is going...

40 minutes ago, swiesma said:

So, if everyone else is better than Aerosoft your problems are solved pretty simple - don't buy Aerosoft stuff :-)

Well, its a discussion forum....where people discuss.....

• Upvote 1

Ok... I don't do scenery... but... I do know that a true v4 version of scenery requires a bit more work than most of you are thinking.

First, for those using dynamic lighting... the prior versions of textures were designed to work with emissive lighting behaviors at night and when combined with dynamic lighting are far too bright.  That means non-emissive texturing has to be created.

For those not using dynamic lighting... the textures need to support emissive lighting at night.

That's separate textures based on whether you're using dynamic lighting or not... and we're not even talking code to determine if you're using dynamic lighting or not and thus selecting the correct textures for display.

Yeah.. not near as simple as you think.  And no one should be expected to work for free.

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

@WarpD did you even read, what we wrote? Nobody really is grumbling about the upgrade fee for really new features. Our problem is, that a true P3Dv3 version (which we bought and paid for) would work in P3Dv4 as well and would not even require a new installer. But because they used old techniques for a scenery in 2016 it was not usable anymore. If someone makes a mistake like this ( show me another 2016 release which is not usable anymore in P3Dv4?!) I expect to correct it and not to charge for it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

He, but once you paper the master bedroom with Star Wars wallpaper, it's hard to admit that it was a mistake.

LOL! That made me laugh!

Touch a nerve there, Jay? :laugh:

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, officercrockey said:

@WarpD did you even read, what we wrote? Nobody really is grumbling about the upgrade fee for really new features. Our problem is, that a true P3Dv3 version (which we bought and paid for) would work in P3Dv4 as well and would not even require a new installer. But because they used old techniques for a scenery in 2016 it was not usable anymore. If someone makes a mistake like this ( show me another 2016 release which is not usable anymore in P3Dv4?!) I expect to correct it and not to charge for it.

Of course I read the entire thread.  All of the posts.  Aerosoft made no mistakes.  Their technique works for v3, just not v4.  Now, you can certainly take issue with the fact that they didn't actually make their scenery v3 compliant... but that has nothing to do with v4.

Just curious, have you read the EULA for the scenery?  Does it indicate what sim(s) it is licensed for?  Or do you really care about that?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

13 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Of course I read the entire thread.  All of the posts.  Aerosoft made no mistakes.  Their technique works for v3, just not v4.  Now, you can certainly take issue with the fact that they didn't actually make their scenery v3 compliant... but that has nothing to do with v4.

Just curious, have you read the EULA for the scenery?  Does it indicate what sim(s) it is licensed for?  Or do you really care about that?

Honestly, I'm really fed up with developers who refer to EULAs and past "promises" to justify why they either do not provide updates or why they charge for them no matter how small they are. Developers should be concerned with customer satisfaction and not what they are legally obliged to do. And you know what? There are actually developers out there who think this way. Look at Flightbeam, FlyTampa, 29Palms, etc. They don't always justify themselves but rather provide extensive upgrades for free to make their customers happy. And that is why I will focus on spending money with these developers in the future...

• Upvote 3

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

2 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

LOL! That made me laugh!

Touch a nerve there, Jay? :laugh:

Nah, I hate wallpaper of any kind. :ha:

19 hours ago, carlito777 said:

What pi@/&? me off is that Aerosoft sceneries do not work in P3Dv4 because they kept using the same old FS9 ground poly techniques in almost all their newer sceneries. So basically, one has to pay the upgrade fees just because Aerosoft uses ancient technology in P3D compatible products. With other developers like Taxi2Gate and Justsim you have the option to upgrade if you want to have dynamic lighting and other features, but the sceneries work just fine without the paid upgrade. 

Exactly how I feel. They have dragged their heels so badly with P3D. I have so many airports that I can't use until they do something about it, Helsinki being the most missed. While I'm happy to pay for what do seem like genuine and worthwhile updates, Aerosoft has attracted criticism by being so darned slow with new versions. If smaller devs can do it then they certainly should have been able to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Parping Couplet said:

Exactly how I feel. They have dragged their heels so badly with P3D. I have so many airports that I can't use until they do something about it, Helsinki being the most missed. While I'm happy to pay for what do seem like genuine and worthwhile updates, Aerosoft has attracted criticism by being so darned slow with new versions. If smaller devs can do it then they certainly should have been able to.

Yeah look at PacSim. A one man show. All his 15+ sceneries available for P3Dv4. For free if you owned it before. Even the old ones feom 2011 and before. 

• Upvote 3