planenut

Had to Test Irma

Recommended Posts

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.     Thought that was pretty cool.

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

LOL did that in a Cessna. Tried to take off. Ended up hovering like a helicopter.

Share this post


Link to post

Flew into KMIA from KTLH in the Carenado Turbo Commander - Actually got it down on the runway and quickly got flipped over by a huge gust.

Glad it was a simulation but it still was tense.

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Years ago, when I was less mature and just interested in having a good time, I would host multiplayer sessions and I would snap the winds to 40-50 mph crosswind.  I could see the other players fighting to regain control of their aircraft, not knowing what happened.  Fortunately I grew out of that, I don't fly multiplayer anymore.  It's enough of a challenge for me to handle my own aircraft.

John

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, planenut said:

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.     Thought that was pretty cool.

Jim

Pretty much the same scene from my hotel window after evactuating from Irma.  Brought all my flight sim stuff with me but forgot a monitor and I can't figure out how to get it to work with the hotel tv.  No electricity at home, so I'm now going through severe simming withdrawal pains 🛬😭

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Pretty much the same scene from my hotel window after evactuating from Irma.  Brought all my flight sim stuff with me but forgot a monitor and I can't figure out how to get it to work with the hotel tv.  No electricity at home, so I'm now going through severe simming withdrawal pains 🛬😭

I feel for you. Without electricity, next time can you afford a generator to run your flightsim for an hour a day? Next time you are travelling, if you have the money by a VR headset. Easier to carry around than a monitor and the immersion is great.

Does AS16 model the eye of the hurricane? Always been fascinated by that. Presumably there is a wall of cloud off in the distance with clear sky overhead and little wind.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Before we had to evacuate, I started the C172 in San Juan.  As soon as it started, the plane starting moving backwards!  I don't know if Active Sky models the eye.  But, the winds and the sideways rain were pretty realistic.

Share this post


Link to post

Made a helicopter style landing with my DC-6 lol

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hurricane Juan is menacing out in the Atlantic north of Puerto Rico, I flew out from St Maarten in an RAF Nimrod to find the eye, which I did! In that last photo, the wind speed reads 0 knots. The highest hurricane windspeed was only 65 knots...

2017-9-13_18-29-41-241_zpsntcueiau.png

2017-9-13_18-29-48-793_zpsrplmcoqz.png

2017-9-13_18-31-28-427_zpsxphdfjrn.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/09/2017 at 9:08 PM, planenut said:

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.   

Earlier tonight I set AS16 to Historic Time and opened FSX using a heavier aircraft (the CS C-130) in Key West during the peak of Irma. Although the Hercules was not picked up it proved extremely difficult even to taxi it due to the 'weathercock' effect of the wind on the large tail and indeed taxiing in any direction other than directly into the wind was almost impossible. I did however see one or two light aircraft, which I assume were AI, being blown around the airport - as you say,  very realistic!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/09/2017 at 4:24 AM, glider1 said:

Does AS16 model the eye of the hurricane? Always been fascinated by that. Presumably there is a wall of cloud off in the distance with clear sky overhead and little wind.

AS16 models the wind changes within the eye very well, with a marked drop in intensity after penetrating the eye wall and by criss-crossing the eye I was able to find an area in the centre where the wind speed was almost zero. In terms of the visual appearance, the circular nature of the eye wall was very evident  when flying within it but the wall unfortunately wasn't a solid wall of cloud extending vertically which I had expected but instead a series of layers of cloud at different levels extending around the eye in a circle (as can be seen in Paul's nice screenshots above). Overall though I was very pleased with the realism AS16 provided of this weather phenomenon. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, scianoir said:

AS16 models the wind changes within the eye very well, with a marked drop in intensity after penetrating the eye wall and by criss-crossing the eye I was able to find an area in the centre where the wind speed was almost zero. In terms of the visual appearance, the circular nature of the eye wall was very evident  when flying within it but the wall unfortunately wasn't a solid wall of cloud extending vertically which I had expected but instead a series of layers of cloud at different levels extending around the eye in a circle (as can be seen in Paul's nice screenshots above). Overall though I was very pleased with the realism AS16 provided of this weather phenomenon. 

Bill

Thanks! I guess bumping up the number of cloud layers could help the effect in the eye except for performance. But if the eye is over a non-populated area without much scenery, max cloud layers might be interesting to try.

What was it like moving from the max intensity wind into the eye with the plane? Sudden jolts of the aircraft as the wind dropped off? Lots of turbulence? Enhanced turbulence setting could be a good one!

In P3D there should also be a change in the light level going from intense overcast to clear skies.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sure you're right about the layers setting contributing to the appearance of the wall and I might try retesting the scenario with maximum layers selected in AS16 and see if the eyewall looks more like a wall.

With regard to turbulence, I have mine set above the default level in AS16 and there was certainly a lot while flying within the hurricane approaching the eye wall which you would expect, but updrafts and downdrafts were also very well simulated. In addition there were occasional quite severe fluctuations in airspeed which I think may have represented a windsheer effect when flying near embedded thunderstorms. After entering the eye the turbulence dropped off but I can't say I experienced any sudden jolt effect going from the wall into the eye.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, glider1 said:

Thanks! I guess bumping up the number of cloud layers could help the effect in the eye except for performance. But if the eye is over a non-populated area without much scenery, max cloud layers might be interesting to try.

 

Just a follow-up. I maxed out the cloud layers in AS16 and flew Irma again. On this occasion I had great difficulty identifying that I was within the eye despite the fact that the X-gauge display indicated that I was. On one occasion I appeared to come through the eye wall into a zone of clear blue sky surrounded by clouds but that literally lasted 2 or 3 seconds and I was then back in cloud although according to the X-gauge display I should still have been in the eye. A total of about 5 or 6 other attempts to criss-cross the eye wall all failed to identify anything. The only difference this time was that the cloud layers were maxed out whereas previously they were limited to 5 and on my previous flights I had managed to identify the eye and fly across it every time. I can only conclude that having the cloud layers maxed out produces so much cloud that it practically obscures the eye itself - either that or the X-gauge was misbehaving and I wasn't flying into the eye at all!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post

Play and pretend all you want guys. But I'm here to tell you there is no experience like having Irma's eye wall pass right over your house. Flightsim be damned. You haven't lived until you experience the real thing. I've been there twice now and I'm here to tell you that there is no way to simulate what happens in 100+mph winds..........Doug

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, W2DR said:

Play and pretend all you want guys. But I'm here to tell you there is no experience like having Irma's eye wall pass right over your house. Flightsim be damned. You haven't lived until you experience the real thing. I've been there twice now and I'm here to tell you that there is no way to simulate what happens in 100+mph winds..........Doug

Absolutely agree Doug but some of us enjoy the challenge of pretend flying in bad weather scenarios. Glad you got through Irma unscathed (I'm assuming you did as you are on here!) and hope your house did too. 

Been there once (Charley 2004) and don't want to do it again!!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post

We're fine Bill. Thanks for thinking of us. The house is in tact also. A shingle here and there is missing and a few trees are a lot shorter. Two solar panels for the pool are probably in north Georgia by now and the panel for the solar hot water is out-of-commission. Nothing major. We were lucky to lose power for only 29 hours. Some folks nearby still don't have it back a week later. We "only" saw 10 inches of rain and there is only minor flooding here. You gotta love living the good life in the Florida sunshine :biggrin:..........Doug

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now