Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Had to Test Irma

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.     Thought that was pretty cool.

Jim

LOL did that in a Cessna. Tried to take off. Ended up hovering like a helicopter.

Flew into KMIA from KTLH in the Carenado Turbo Commander - Actually got it down on the runway and quickly got flipped over by a huge gust.

Glad it was a simulation but it still was tense.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Years ago, when I was less mature and just interested in having a good time, I would host multiplayer sessions and I would snap the winds to 40-50 mph crosswind.  I could see the other players fighting to regain control of their aircraft, not knowing what happened.  Fortunately I grew out of that, I don't fly multiplayer anymore.  It's enough of a challenge for me to handle my own aircraft.

John

4 hours ago, planenut said:

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.     Thought that was pretty cool.

Jim

Pretty much the same scene from my hotel window after evactuating from Irma.  Brought all my flight sim stuff with me but forgot a monitor and I can't figure out how to get it to work with the hotel tv.  No electricity at home, so I'm now going through severe simming withdrawal pains 🛬😭

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

2 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Pretty much the same scene from my hotel window after evactuating from Irma.  Brought all my flight sim stuff with me but forgot a monitor and I can't figure out how to get it to work with the hotel tv.  No electricity at home, so I'm now going through severe simming withdrawal pains 🛬😭

I feel for you. Without electricity, next time can you afford a generator to run your flightsim for an hour a day? Next time you are travelling, if you have the money by a VR headset. Easier to carry around than a monitor and the immersion is great.

Does AS16 model the eye of the hurricane? Always been fascinated by that. Presumably there is a wall of cloud off in the distance with clear sky overhead and little wind.

Before we had to evacuate, I started the C172 in San Juan.  As soon as it started, the plane starting moving backwards!  I don't know if Active Sky models the eye.  But, the winds and the sideways rain were pretty realistic.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Made a helicopter style landing with my DC-6 lol

• Upvote 2

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hurricane Juan is menacing out in the Atlantic north of Puerto Rico, I flew out from St Maarten in an RAF Nimrod to find the eye, which I did! In that last photo, the wind speed reads 0 knots. The highest hurricane windspeed was only 65 knots...

2017-9-13_18-29-41-241_zpsntcueiau.png

2017-9-13_18-29-48-793_zpsrplmcoqz.png

2017-9-13_18-31-28-427_zpsxphdfjrn.png

On 11/09/2017 at 9:08 PM, planenut said:

In the midst of the hurricane (while safe here in Virginia), I cranked up P3D and Active Sky and loaded the Carenado A36 Bonanza at KMIA (Miami).  Rain was blowing sideways and the plane was bouncing up and down while sitting on the ramp.  Then the wind picked the plane up and slammed it into a building.  Wow!, what realism.   

Earlier tonight I set AS16 to Historic Time and opened FSX using a heavier aircraft (the CS C-130) in Key West during the peak of Irma. Although the Hercules was not picked up it proved extremely difficult even to taxi it due to the 'weathercock' effect of the wind on the large tail and indeed taxiing in any direction other than directly into the wind was almost impossible. I did however see one or two light aircraft, which I assume were AI, being blown around the airport - as you say,  very realistic!

Bill

On 12/09/2017 at 4:24 AM, glider1 said:

Does AS16 model the eye of the hurricane? Always been fascinated by that. Presumably there is a wall of cloud off in the distance with clear sky overhead and little wind.

AS16 models the wind changes within the eye very well, with a marked drop in intensity after penetrating the eye wall and by criss-crossing the eye I was able to find an area in the centre where the wind speed was almost zero. In terms of the visual appearance, the circular nature of the eye wall was very evident  when flying within it but the wall unfortunately wasn't a solid wall of cloud extending vertically which I had expected but instead a series of layers of cloud at different levels extending around the eye in a circle (as can be seen in Paul's nice screenshots above). Overall though I was very pleased with the realism AS16 provided of this weather phenomenon. 

Bill

46 minutes ago, scianoir said:

AS16 models the wind changes within the eye very well, with a marked drop in intensity after penetrating the eye wall and by criss-crossing the eye I was able to find an area in the centre where the wind speed was almost zero. In terms of the visual appearance, the circular nature of the eye wall was very evident  when flying within it but the wall unfortunately wasn't a solid wall of cloud extending vertically which I had expected but instead a series of layers of cloud at different levels extending around the eye in a circle (as can be seen in Paul's nice screenshots above). Overall though I was very pleased with the realism AS16 provided of this weather phenomenon. 

Bill

Thanks! I guess bumping up the number of cloud layers could help the effect in the eye except for performance. But if the eye is over a non-populated area without much scenery, max cloud layers might be interesting to try.

What was it like moving from the max intensity wind into the eye with the plane? Sudden jolts of the aircraft as the wind dropped off? Lots of turbulence? Enhanced turbulence setting could be a good one!

In P3D there should also be a change in the light level going from intense overcast to clear skies.