Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Took the plunge and got the QW 787 for FSX

Well, I figured since few were inclined to try it, I thought I'd give it a go. Hopefully there'll be some kind of discount for P3D, but if not, well tough lol. So, here's a few comments...

First impressions are that it is a very lovely add-on, it looks great, runs with a decent FPS and has a very nice cockpit with lots of fun toys.

What I know about the real 787's systems would comfortably fit on the back of a cigarette packet, but I managed to get a flight set up in the FMC with SID and get the thing en route without even looking at the manual other than to ascertain that it has about 390 pages, although there is a tutorial flight manual too, and a checklist one. There is also a payload manager. In operation, it is basically the same FMC as in any Boeing in terms of how it works, setting up etc, so NG and 747 ndrivers will quickly suss it out, however, what is additionally cool, is the EFB displaying the SIDs and stuff so you can choose suitable stuff for your departure.

The FMC and the PFDs have lots of very nice toys to play with, and it has a handy VAS usage readout which can display how much memory it is using. I have FSX-SE on pretty much full throttle settings with ASN and it was doing 3.1Gb, so I think you'd have to be careful, but it is currently climbing up to 35,000 feet on the way to Paris, so it managed okay. The HUD is really excellent too by the way.

The audio is really nice, with the co-pilot callouts for V-Speeds, AP selection and such being really good, as are the flight attendant announcements, which all kick in at the correct time so far as I can tell, i.e. it announced you could use electronic devices as I passed 10,000 feet and was turning off the landing lights. Oh, and the engine sounds are all really cool.

Seems pretty cool, it flies beautifully and the external model is very nice.

k3KeR1H.jpg

w0kAxN2.jpg

L0WCrIj.jpg

sSYuGya.jpg

uuxnC9q.jpg

K5y866E.jpg

zGR69ZP.jpg

iIlFK92.jpg

ettUfcr.jpg

• Upvote 14

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Nice mini review. Well done for getting it in fsx 😄

im looking forward to the p3d version. Your first impressions sound really positive. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you for posting that review Alan, especially for FSX (SE?).  I'll probably give it a miss, but only due to not being a fan of how it looks. Not QW's model, that does indeed seem to be excellent, but the real Boeing! I just don't like the curved wings however aerodynamically efficient they are! :blush:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Thank you for posting that review Alan, especially for FSX (SE?).  I'll probably give it a miss, but only due to not being a fan of how it looks. Not QW's model, that does indeed seem to be excellent, but the real Boeing! I just don't like the curved wings however aerodynamically efficient they are! :blush:

I initially thought the 787 was pretty fugly too TBH, but it sort of grew on me. The real thing is however quite pretty when you see it fly over, and you can't go wrong with the front bit, since it looks like a DH Comet/Nimrod, and we all know how cool the Comet is.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

On the fence about a FSX purchase as funds are limited...awaiting more user feedback.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Boomer said:

On the fence about a FSX purchase as funds are limited...awaiting more user feedback.

Well a shiny new plane is nice, but it isn't gonna stop FSX being FSX, with all that implies both good and bad, i.e. we've all got a ton of add-ons for it which can make it look great, but then it explodes when you install them all lol. although to be fair, I'm currently en route to Paris in the thing, and it is holding at 3.1Gb VAS, actually it has dropped to 3.0 now (76%), so it's doing better than the FSW Learjet 35, that thing makes my FSX explode before you even make it to the runway to take off lol, which is why I was glad to get it in P3D.

Ooh, just noticed, this thing's got a five stage autobrake, now I can really annoy my virtual passengers with those screech to a halt landings lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Just now, Chock said:

.... and you can't go wrong with the front bit, since it looks like a DH Comet/Nimrod, and we all know how cool the Comet is.

No arguments here. I will see in time if it'll grow on me. The A350 wing looks better IMHO. Now, the H-P Victor has a lovely curved wing, but that's totally different!

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

For those interesting in deeper knowledge of this bird, AOA has just released a training package for the 787....could be a good companion to this product.

• Upvote 1

We don't need no steeenkin manuals, we just kick the tires and light the fires. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

5 minutes ago, WR269 said:

For those interesting in deeper knowledge of this bird, AOA has just released a training package for the 787....could be a good companion to this product.

Don't see it, link please.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Oooops.... Was just getting to near LFPG and about to start descending when it bombed. Not a VAS issue, something else it would seem. I think the 787 must have upset the little baby Jeezus, or something.

gKgyCXP.jpg

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

well, I'm sure they will get this cleaned up. Overall though I'm leaning on getting it. I will wait for p3d v4.1

I'm a little nervous that it will tank my system when it comes to frames. I'm running an old i7-930 o/c to 3.8G and 6G of ram and a 970 4g card. sooooo there's that.

• Upvote 1

Ciao!

Tried that flight again after a few tweaks, turns out it was a simconnect issue with FSX and Active Sky Next that bombed the sim, not the QW 787, so it made it all the way to Paris after I'd fixed that (I think it is because FSX Steam doesn't install all that stuff properly, and I only reinstalled FSX a couple of weeks ago, so I'd forgot about that until it bombed). The highest VAS got up to was 3.4Gb and it tended to be around 3.1 most of the time. But as you can see from one of the pics where a jet passes below, I had a lot of AI traffic on and the clouds on full settings, plus high res textures, lots of autogen, UT2 Europe and such and I took off from UK2000 EGCC, so there is room to back things off a bit. I don't think I'd have a prayer of landing it at VFR France's Ile de France scenery though, that'd VAS bomb FSX for sure, so that's where P3D V4 is a winner as that scenery runs just fine in P3D, so yes you can fly the 787 in FSX without VAS issues, but clearly there is a limit to what you could get away with, so it'll be good when it shows up for LM's sim.

The TCAS works well and gives you good audio cues incidentally, I know that because I had AI traffic up high and got quite a few alerts to climb, clear of conflict and monitor descent speed call outs,  the cabin crew and co-pilot audio is very good too. The engine sounds are really very good too, so you can't fault it audio-wise.

Couldn't be bothered figuring out the autopilot for the approach so I knocked it off VNAV and LNAV etc and flew it manually for the descent and landing, but, the EFB checklists came in handy. It can slow down quite well with a bit of flaps dropped out. It has quite a high viewpoint when you flare, so it would be easy to land a bit short if you weren't aware of that, but it is easy to fly, fortunately I came down right on the piano keys, even though I was actually aiming for the numbers, but I had to get the nose up a lot to do that, so the tail was pretty low upon touchdown. It stops pretty quickly with a bit of autobrake and reverse thrust.

One thing I do think could do with a tweak is the lights, they are not very bright and I know they are really bright on the real thing what with it having those LED ones which you can see from miles away.

voJ6pki.jpg

B0m3jQH.jpg

NFr4wmL.jpg

beqH68R.jpg

pw2JKdb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Guest JustanotherPilot

Thanks Chock, a good insight into the aircraft...Im unsure if I should reinstall FSX or not, just to fly the 787, although I think AS are releasing their long awaited A330 in FSX first. Problem is, once spoiled with P3D v4 I'm reluctant to take a backwards step to FSX.

QW mentioned in FB-post this morning that there will likely be some sort of P3D upgrade discoount.

"If I purchase the FSX Version of the Ultimate 787, will I receive the P3D version as a free upgrade?"
No, you will not receive the P3D Version as a free upgrade. We will come up with some sort of discount offer that will be fair for you and us.
Details will come at a later date once we determine what is needed for P3D."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/qualitywings-simulations/ultimate-787-status-update-the-first-36-hours/10155050170834639/