Chock

Took the plunge and got the QW 787 for FSX

4 minutes ago, costamesa said:

He asked the pros :D

That is a pro, it's just a pro for Lockheed Martin rather than us. :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Just go for it that includes anyone that is waiting for the P3Dv4 version.

That is exactly what I did, even though I have long-since uninstalled FSX on my system.

I got the Steam version and flew it years ago...tweaked it ad-nauseam  like we all did to get it to run, always worried about OOMs, etc. but had moved to P3d when it was released, and now on V4...never looking back.

However, I was really curious about how well QW did with the 787.  So 45 minutes after downloading and reinstalling the Steam version , I was installing the 787. (well in reality, installing a one-click operation, love that about the $5 version I bought when it was on sale)

10 minutes later I was lined up at Boeing field, ready to take her on circuit around the field.

The ONLY tweak I made was to turn off DX-10 preview (its on by default and I wasn't interested in reinstalling Steve's DX-10 Fixer just to try this plane).

All those P3D'ers who are curious about this plane, just take the time to install the vanilla FSX and go get her.  You do not need to spend hours tweaking and installing 100's of add-ons to try the plane....who cares if you have detailed airports, weather, flight planners?  You're interested in the plane, right?  (BTW I had zero install and run issues....worked right out of the box for me)

3 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

Flight1 offers a 30-Day money back guarantee

Yep....If QW does not announce an upgrade path within 29 days, back it goes and then I wait for the P3d version.  Kudos to Flight1 for their return policy...it makes this ability to try the 787 worry-free.

On a side note...if any QW representative is reading this...it would be in your very best interest to make that announcement before those 29 days click by, or you are likely to see a huge amount of initial sales funds being returned to us customers...do not sit on this decision like you have with other news, you will seriously regret it financially, I guarantee it.

OK...my view of the plane....I really like it!  It flies well, all the systems worked for me on my subsequent flights (I did 2 AAL delivery flights from Boeing Field to KDFW...in prep. to replicate the 2 real-world flights I've done on this bird so far, one each on the 800 and 900).

I used the "jump ahead" feature a few times....takes a little getting used to, but worked.

Sounds, as Chock mentioned really good, visuals very nice (cockpit and especially the exterior), systems are yet to be fully tested, but so far so good.  Overall a solid buy recommendation from me.  The price point is very reasonable as well, considering the detail and complexity for this release as it compares to other vendors. (Plus you get all 3 models for this price...the -10 to be completed later).

Guys...the other reason I bought this now is to financially support a team that pushed through adversity and real life interference to give us the 787 we've been asking for.  Say what you will... but in reality, if sales were (are) low, we may never see a P3d version or any future aircraft from them.  We always chant "Vote with your wallets"...well that goes both ways...both to shun a bad developer and to support a good one.  I think they are a good one, despite their inefficient marketing and communication skills. :wink:.  They brought a great plane into our simming community, vote with your wallet to let them know you support them if you enjoy having competition in your hi-end airliner market.  That's what I did.  If you don't like it or feel its rubbish, return it within 30 days...its that simple.  But you've made your statement either way, and if you decide to keep it, you've infused a rare, hi-end aircraft maker with much needed "incentive" to continue giving us what we want.

Here is the way I view it....I could have asked all the questions you guys are about her until I got the version I'm really waiting for, or I could take some time to reinstall an antiquated flightsim platform, play with it (and learn it) in that platform, and make my own opinions about if I'll really own it in V4x.  Flight1 return policy, enough said. :smile:

Wow...didn't want that to turn into a soapbox post, but I had a lot to say, LOL.  Hope you guys will understand my musings on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I was hoping that you would buy this Alan, i'll confess to being disappointed when you said you were going to hold off.

Thank you kindly for the mini-review, looks like it's a buy when it arrives for P3D

Ian R Tyldesley

10 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

I was hoping that you would buy this Alan, i'll confess to being disappointed when you said you were going to hold off.

Thank you kindly for the mini-review, looks like it's a buy when it arrives for P3D

Yup, as Steve says, QW have been working on it a long time and will be twitching about seeing a return on that time investment, so if nothing else, buying it helps them out a bit.

Alan Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, as Steve says, QW have been working on it a long time and will be twitching about seeing a return on that time investment, so if nothing else, buying it helps them out a bit.

I'll definitely purchase it, but it either has to be released for P3D, or they need to give me an upgrade price to P3D to purchase it now.  I am not getting into another PMDG/A2A situation were i end up buying the same thing twice. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley

4 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

I'll definitely purchase it, but it either has to be released for P3D, or they need to give me an upgrade price to P3D to purchase it now.  I am not getting into another PMDG/A2A situation were i end up buying the same thing twice. :angry:

Hi Folks,

Concur - I don't think there is anything more aggravating in this hobby than buying the same code or very similar code - twice - it's an absurd practice but obviously we have too many people salivating over products to reign it in...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 5

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

9 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

Same.  And that's the crux of the purchase decision for me now.

I oppose double-dipping and will never pay full price for that again.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Same.  And that's the crux of the purchase decision for me now.

I oppose double-dipping and will never pay full price for that again.

I have purchased the 787 because at this stage I have not yet migrated to P3Dv4 although I will at some point in the future, but I absolutely agree about double-dipping and would like to see more developers giving a reasonable discount. In this regard, although its slightly off topic, I have to give full credit to Orbx/FTX for making their products available for both platforms for the initial purchase price.

Bill

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chock said:

That is true, well almost, and you have nailed it by saying 'apart from 64 bit', in that some versions of P3D by default have a better appearance than FSX by default, i.e. the cloud shadows P3D can do are something it has by default, but of course if you buy Steve's DX10 Fixer and Cloud Shadow addons for FSX (20 quid), you've pretty much made FSX look as good as P3D does, and if you weigh that against having to buy a weather add-on for P3D (probably about 60 quid), then you can see using P3D is gonna be a more expensive game to be playing.

Thus it's not that P3D (and I mean any version, including the most recent V4 with the cloud shadows and other minor tweaks to lighting and texturing) somehow looks vastly better than FSX, because it doesn't really, nor is it anywhere near as inexpensive as FSX either. It is the fact that you can throw every fancy add-on you like at P3D V4 and it might slow it down, but it will never crash it, and that just ain't true with FSX (either the Steam version or the original version), you can have it crash with an VAS OOM error just by adding a fancy plane and an airport scenery sometimes, because it is 32 bit unlike the V4 P3D. It's also worth noting that with P3D loading a little bit more of its work onto other parts of your PC rather than just the CPU, in fairness to any version of P3D, they do tend to run a little bit better FPS-wise than FSX, but it's not a massively noticeable difference.

This is why I never bought P3D V2 or V3, because they simply did not offer any difference worth bothering with in comparison to my souped up FSX. I bought P3D V1 when it came out because I was curious to see if it was any different, and rapidly learned that it ain't really much different and was not worth buying, no version of P3D was worth buying before V4 because they were still 32 bit and so they didn't solve that core problem which FSX is stuck with.

But when the 64 bit V4 version came along, that was worth having for sure, which is why I did get hold of it. But we all know that in many screenshots we see you'd be hard pressed to know whether it was P3D or FSX they were taken in, and I know that is true from having been doing a load of them for a review the other day of an aeroplane which works in both sims and if it wasn't for the menu up top on the screenshot, I would not have known which screenshot was which. But, that won't always be true, because you could tart up the appearance of P3D V4 as much as you liked and it wouldn't crash due to VAS, and that is the difference which makes the switch worth it.

So it's good news to know that this QW B787 is gonna be discounted for P3D buyers if they have bought the FSX version (as I noted on another thread, it makes sense for them to do that because it will mean more sales), and I'll be honest here, it will probably retire as far as FSX is concerned when a P3D V4 version makes it to my hard drive, but FSX itself won't, because it has the PMDG 747-400 on it and the PMDG 737NG and the FSL A320. Now I know I could buy those for P3D V4 (well, apart from the FSL just yet) but flatly I refuse to buy the PMDG 747-400 at full price for P3D v4 when I bought the FSX one a matter of weeks earlier, and I don't give a toss what anyone claims about the two things being different products, the 3D model did not have to be completely rebuilt for the two sims, the textures did not have to have the entire artwork done again for the P3D V4 version, and much of the other work for it would enjoy similar benefits. Of course some work is involved, and I'd be willing to pay a fair price for that, since PMDG's products are undeniably excellent, but I'm not going to have the p*** taken out of me by being charged full wack for things where it is just blatant profiteering. And that is exactly what it is with that PMDG 747-400 for P3D, and I don't care how many people pray at the holy church of PMDG and claim they can do no wrong, or any other developer who indulges in that kind of thing for that matter; it ain't just PMDG, because developers who do that absolutely should be pulled up for doing that kind of thing, and especially when they do it to people who've been loyally keeping them in business for years and singing their praises to also further their sales, as many flight simmers have with many developers.

Anyway, back with the QW 787. It's great fun to fly, and since you are gonna be able to get it cheaper for a second sim, there's really not much reason to not give it a whirl in FSX right now.

I agree, and that's why I never bothered with P3D3. Of course, P3d4 starts the spending cycle allover again for those of us who did not purchase p3d3 addons.

I am happy to see that some developers made one plane for all sims. This is why Flysimware and TFDI are on my list of top developers. I purchased their aircrafts for fsx and I can use them for P3d4. Nice.

Since I am a big fan of xplane11 and FSW, I am proceeding slowly with p3d4, given that a complete setup will end up costing me close to $500. I am referring to Orbx, weather, ezdok, and a few others.

Since I am not a long haul flyer, my ooms in fsx were very, very few. In fact, I've had only one oom in several years.

tony

Here you go. A quick video of it without any fancy post production so you can see exactly what it looks like in FSX-SE, note some of the clips are zoomed, so don't get put off by the resolution of the VC or model in this vid, it's really zoomed in on some of these clips, the texturing is really sharp in the sim.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

16 hours ago, HighBypass said:

No arguments here. I will see in time if it'll grow on me.

Hey, Mark ... When I first saw pics of the 787 around 2012 I also was put off by the design, primarily the curved wing. But a year later I actually traveled round-trip FLL-ARL on the first Norwegian Dreamliner. Spending 15+ hours aboard completely changed my perception. From the passenger's viewpoint that wing is stunningly beautiful, as was the whole experience of riding this truly innovative aircraft. In my case "Looks can be deceiving" was definitely true. :)

• Upvote 1

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Stop talking about P3DV4 and talk about the plane.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't be released for P3D and nor is this the P3D forum section.

• Upvote 2

Alan - thanks for posting the video. Excellent choice of music too (Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band). One thing - bugs in the shadow and/or reflection on the fuselage at about 2:28 on - you can see the opposite windows, or something which looks similar. A bit like the old baggage cart issue? 

OK OK I'm more convinced I should like the plane more :biggrin:. I'll consider purchasing it, with a PMDG product and A2A's Connie also.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for sharing Chock.

Looks really nice. Maybe after it comes to P3D I'll take a shot.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Here you go. A quick video of it without any fancy post production so you can see exactly what it looks like in FSX-SE, note some of the clips are zoomed, so don't get put off by the resolution of the VC or model in this vid, it's really zoomed in on some of these clips, the texturing is really sharp in the sim.

It's the little nuanced details where PMDG shines like when the mouse goes over the ECL and stays the same here but flips to what it looks like on the 777.  But still looks ok....just need to wait for p3d. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000