Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Patch Bluesday and P3D v4.1

No problems at all patching here. I'm not saying that no one could have an issue, I've worked in IT long enough to know that there are always issues with patching that are not universal to everyone, but I've also worked in the industry to know that disabling security updates entirely is never the right answer. This regardless of your behavior on the internet. It only takes one instance to foul up your machine and subsequently everything on your network. It's how these things propagate so quickly. They rely on people not patching their systems and then it's off to the races.

- Aaron

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

Exactly! The bottom line is that there can't be any fundamental problems with the Windows 10 updates

Sure they can, in fact, Microsoft have confirmed/admitted and replicated several issues and indicated they are working on fixes (some fixes already released).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob is correct. The recent Win10 updates have even negatively impacted Microsoft's own  internet browser Edge.

FWIW, there are now reports emerging that yesterday's Patch Tuesday security rollup (KB4041676) has caused the same CTD issues for some users.  According to Rob McCarthy at L-M, MS has identified a bug in .Net that causes the problem, and they do not expect to have a fix for it before the Fall Creator's Update releases next week.   To repeat, Microsoft has acknowledged that a bug exists in .Net that can cause these issues in Prepar3D (and a wide variety of other programs as well).

disabling security updates entirely is never the right answer

A system that is so "secure" that it can no longer run the software I use is pointless...I can make ANY computer "secure" simply by unplugging it from the wall, too.   Either way, the computer is useless to me.  I'll take some risk to have use of my computer.  If worse comes to worst and the low-probability hack gets in, I can restore my systems from backup in less than an hour.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

46 minutes ago, w6kd said:

According to Rob McCarthy at L-M, MS has identified a bug in .Net that causes the problem

I did a little more research and it appears Microsoft introduced a bug and/or problem with d3dcompiler*.dll ... this would explain why it will impact P3D (and other apps) since it calls into the DX shader compiler ... interesting ... this might explain the other issue I was having with some (not all) GSX textures no longer showing up on some vehicles.  KB4041676 seems to have made the problems worse.

Ugh, if only OSX had more than 7% market share ...

Cheers, Rob.

17 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

KB4041676 seems to have made the problems worse.

Whilst it doesn't help with your problems, this was sent by MS to some premium Windows users with reference to problems with KB4041676:

"Note that the issue is NOT with the Cumulative Update.

Root Cause: The Windows 10 Delta & Cumulative Updates were both published to WSUS ( Windows Server Update Services) & SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) which is a situation that should not happen...

There is no issue with the Windows 10 or 2016 Cumulative but only an issue when both the Cumulative and Delta are installed on a machine together. Since Delta Updates are never available to Windows or Microsoft Update, this could not have affected Consumer scenarios.

Please go ahead and deploy the Windows 10 & Server 2016 Cumulative and Security Only Updates."

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 10-10-2017 at 9:32 AM, JoeFackel said:

A good reason that it's very wise to have your Flightsim installation on an dedicated OS, easy to get this with a multiboot installation.

On your "FS-OS" you can then deactivate the OS updates, leave the AV and other bloatware out you won't need for running P3D or else. Only concentrate on important things like drivers and stuff.

You gain an flightsimming system that is slim and running like hell!

Hi Jo,

I have a separate SSD just for flightsim. But how do I deactivate the OS updates on D my FS OS??

Hans

Depends on your OS: on Win 7/8/8.1 it's easy, you can do this in your control panel.

On W10 its a bit tricky, the easiest way is to use a tool like e.g. Shutup10 from O&O: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

I'm using that myself, you can also control many "phone-home" task from Windows 10.

You need more or less no Windows update for Flightsimming and the VERY few you can download manually.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Please go ahead and deploy the Windows 10 & Server 2016 Cumulative and Security Only Updates.

Is this a typo, 2016??  The updates in question are all 2017.

Cheers, Rob.

7 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Is this a typo, 2016??  The updates in question are all 2017.

No. It's referring to Windows Server 2016, the OS, which is updated alongside Windows 10.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As mentioned above:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-confirms-fix-for-windows-devices-facing-bsod-after-recent-update

I get the feeling Microsoft are NOT understanding their problems before attempting to fix issues they've created:

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-mandatory-october-kb4041676-update-is-causing-machines-to-bsod

This issue did impact one of my other work PCs.  I'm glad this post exists and I think it prudent that end users be aware and proceed with Windows 10 updates at their own risk.  Unfortunately what this means to me is that I'll have to wait for the official full Oct 17th Windows 10 MSDN installer (whatever build designation Microsoft elect to use) and wipe my PCs and start over as I have NO confidence in the current state of my PCs.

Cheers, Rob.

14 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Unfortunately what this means to me is that I'll have to wait for the official full Oct 17th Windows 10 MSDN installer (whatever build designation Microsoft elect to use) and wipe my PCs and start over as I have NO confidence in the current state of my PCs.

Sorry to hear that you've got so many problems with Windows 10. It obviously doesn't help you but I've installed all of the updates (minus drivers) to Windows 10 since I installed the original version and the only problem I've had was about a year ago when my webcam briefly stopped working but that was quickly fixed. I have several different games and have never had problems with any of them post-updates. I say this not to appear smart but just to show that not everyone who installs the updates has issues.

This is basically what I find so puzzling - if some updates introduced bugs which affected the likes of DirectX, why am I (and, apparently many others) not affected?

On 10/11/2017 at 0:27 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I did a little more research and it appears Microsoft introduced a bug and/or problem with d3dcompiler*.dll ... this would explain why it will impact P3D (and other apps) since it calls into the DX shader compiler ... interesting ... this might explain the other issue I was having with some (not all) GSX textures no longer showing up on some vehicles.  KB4041676 seems to have made the problems worse.

Ugh, if only OSX had more than 7% market share ...

Cheers, Rob.

This is very interesting because I have always been told through inside sources that Windows 10 would have improvements to DirectX <12.  

13 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

This is basically what I find so puzzling - if some updates introduced bugs which affected the likes of DirectX, why am I (and, apparently many others) not affected?

I can't speculate on that, but given that Microsoft have admitted to the bugs (many users reporting issues) but have NOT disclosed the exact issue and haven't confirmed any "fixes", this sends a signal that a "wipe and re-install" of the new official "version/build" (Oct 17th) is imminent for me.

Cheers, Rob.

Sorry if i am misunderstanding this thread but should we un-install KB4041676 ? How do we do this ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png