w6kd

Patch Bluesday and P3D v4.1

Recommended Posts

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but tomorrow's release of P3D v4.1 coincides with Microsoft's regular monthly "patch Tuesday" (2nd Tuesday of each month) routine update release.

Note that the last patch boofered P3D for many people with Win 10 and one/both of updates KB4038788 and/or KB4040724.  And this came today on the P3D forums from Rob McCarthy at Lockheed Martin:

Microsoft has identified the cause of the issue. Unfortunately this bug will still be present in the upcoming Fall Creator's update. We are continuing to work with them and will provide additional updates once we have more information on when a patch for Windows will be released containing this fix. We will do our best to expedite the process as much as possible.

So...it probably would be wise to consider how you want to let the MS update cycle proceed (or not) before upgrading to P3D v4.1, and be aware that if the new install has problems, these MS updates may be behind it.

Nothing...can...be...simple.

Regards

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

14 minutes ago, w6kd said:

 

Nothing...can...be...simple.

Regards

 

That would be too easy.

I am already leery with the new Nvidia Driver as it did not install on the first go, claiming a problem with (what I think is HiFi's) as_sound module. A wipe clean and a fresh install solved it, so....I hope. The idea that Windows 10 may be problematic is another uncertainty. Oh well, better get to bed, tomorrow promises to be a big day at 3:00pm LM standard time, and beyond...

Kind regards,

Share this post


Link to post

Just remove the faulting update again, it took me about five minutes including the reboot.

Share this post


Link to post

A good reason that it's very wise to have your Flightsim installation on an dedicated OS, easy to get this with a multiboot installation.

On your "FS-OS" you can then deactivate the OS updates, leave the AV and other bloatware out you won't need for running P3D or else. Only concentrate on important things like drivers and stuff.

You gain an flightsimming system that is slim and running like hell!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DavidP said:

Gotta love Win 7 :wink:

Gotta love FSX as well, but P3Dv4 is the superior sim. I wonder what addons v4.1 will break.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

wait, what did the updates in windows brake?

Have no idea, didn't notice any issues with using Windows 10. Waiting for Fall Creators Update and will reinstall my system completely

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Johnny19 said:

Waiting for Fall Creators Update and will reinstall my system completely

Same here. I'm not in a hurry with P3D 4.1 anyway because it will probably take some time before all addons I use will work with it. So I will patiently await the Windows update (until the installer for a clean reinstall has also been updated) and whenever enough P3D addons have been reported to work with 4.1 I will do a clean install of W10 and then P3D 4.1. Looking forward to it. I actually LOVE doing clean installs. Nothing nicer than a clean system with only the latest drivers and software and everything. It's a great way to completely get rid of software I installed during the last two or three months (I reinstall my OS a few times a year) but don't use anymore. Which is quite a list already. 

EDIT

6 hours ago, w6kd said:

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but tomorrow's release of P3D v4.1 coincides with Microsoft's regular monthly "patch Tuesday" (2nd Tuesday of each month) routine update release.

Come to think of it: the fall update will be released October 17th: for a while I thought people were expecting the fall update today. Anyway, will MS actually do a monthly patch today when a huge update is coming in a week...? By the time the fall update will be available for download (to do a complete reinstall) I think quite a few P3D addons will already be working with 4.1. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DavidP said:

Gotta love Win 7 :wink:

When Win10 came out, I posted several times that I thought that the auto-update feature of 10 was going to be bad news for simmers, and was crucified for having that opinion. Oh well... LOL...

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

When Win10 came out, I posted several times that I thought that the auto-update feature of 10 was going to be bad news for simmers, and was crucified for having that opinion. Oh well... LOL...

 

A simple setting change shuts off W10 auto update. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, J van E said:

Same here. I'm not in a hurry with P3D 4.1 anyway because it will probably take some time before all addons I use will work with it. So I will patiently await the Windows update (until the installer for a clean reinstall has also been updated) and whenever enough P3D addons have been reported to work with 4.1

I'm under the impression that devs have had 4.1 for a while now solely for this purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I'm under the impression that devs have had 4.1 for a while now solely for this purpose.

Based on comments from some addon developers, it looks like only major devs like PMDG, ORBX or FSLabs got access to the 4.1 beta version, most 'small' developers will get the update at the same time as us mortals. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I'm under the impression that devs have had 4.1 for a while now solely for this purpose.

That is true.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, w6kd said:

Note that the last patch boofered P3D for many people with Win 10 and one/both of updates KB4038788 and/or KB4040724.

I thought this only crashed in conjunction with P3D3 and not v4.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now