Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 coming October 23 for P3D v4

1 hour ago, 777200lrf said:

I am disappointed at this high upgrade price, I do miss flying the Q400 since upgrading to P3D 4 yet if I really cared about flying it I could fly it no problem in P3D 3 or Fsx since it is so light on vas and performance.

The heavy on vas and performance aircraft from other developers made upgrading to P3D 4 almost a requirement. I do not think I am going to buy the upgrade but it is one of my favorites to fly in my old hanger of fsx planes. And I never tried shared cockpit that looks fun.

Then you can blame me my friend.  Oleksiy and I had a long discussion about this, and I recommended both the upgrade (not update) price and the amount.  This is based in the fact that much of the code had to be completely re-written for 64-bit  talking a very log time to do. 

One of the reasons the Dash 8 not only flies so well and the performance (frame rates) are incredible on most any modern computer is because of how the aircraft is programmed, which is far different than other aircraft models.  Not to mention it's the only aircraft that uses an external flight dynamics engine (I mean that, no more rumors about other aircraft having an external flight dynamics engine - I've spoken to each developer for whom some flight simmers THINK the aircraft has an external FDE, and they don't).

Now I'm no fan of developers changing for updates, but please remember this isn't an UPDATE, this is a nearly complete re-write of the aircraft to ensure it has the same awesome performance in 64-bit.

I hope that eases your mind a bit, I know it's not always easy to know what a developer has done to earn a small cost for an upgrade.

PILOT version: $14.95 EUR

PRO version: $19.95 EUR

1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

IMHO......the Q400 is the single best addon aircraft ever made for the fsx/p3d platform.

Certainly one of the two best. The other is the Leonardo Maddog X (I'm also working that aircraft), and since they are two entirely differet aircraft that fly enitely different it's just too difficult to say which is better than the other.

I'm not knocking any other developers aircraft, there are some fine ones out there, but the Dash and MD-80 are just a little better than the best competition.

Best wishes to everyone!

• Upvote 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I can't see how the quoted figures can be deemed a "high upgrade" price, by any measure!

The time it's taken to rebuild into P3Dv4 is testament to the work that's been involved for the small Majestic team.  They are absolute gents and obsessed on quality - they deserve to not have to work for free.   They already provided an update from FSX to P3Dv2/3 for free. It's perfectly reasonable to charge a small cost for the significant upgrade to 64 bit.

It's not like it's a full re-purchase as it is with PMDG, A2A, etc.  Those could be deemed high upgrade costs - but not this.

• Upvote 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I have NO complaints about the upgrade price, tis fair IMHO.

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Then you can blame me my friend.  Oleksiy and I had a long discussion about this, and I recommended both the upgrade (not update) price and the amount.  This is based in the fact that much of the code had to be completely re-written for 64-bit  talking a very log time to do. 

One of the reasons the Dash 8 not only flies so well and the performance (frame rates) are incredible on most any modern computer is because of how the aircraft is programmed, which is far different than other aircraft models.  Not to mention it's the only aircraft that uses an external flight dynamics engine (I mean that, no more rumors about other aircraft having an external flight dynamics engine - I've spoken to each developer for whom some flight simmers THINK the aircraft has an external FDE, and they don't).

Now I'm no fan of developers changing for updates, but please remember this isn't an UPDATE, this is a nearly complete re-write of the aircraft to ensure it has the same awesome performance in 64-bit.

I hope that eases your mind a bit, I know it's not always easy to know what a developer has done to earn a small cost for an upgrade.

Certainly one of the two best. The other is the Leonardo Maddog X (I'm also working that aircraft), and since they are two entirely differet aircraft that fly enitely different it's just too difficult to say which is better than the other.

I'm not knocking any other developers aircraft, there are some fine ones out there, but the Dash and MD-80 are just a little better than the best competition.

Best wishes to everyone!

I know airplanes go for 100 dollars these days but 25 dollars US is more than a small cost. It is the cost of another very high quality airport scenery I can add to my p3d4 installation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mpw8679 said:

High upgrade price? I don't think they even charged a fee to upgrade from FSX to P3D did they?

Exactly. This is nothing compared to the rip off some developers have done. More than fair from the majestic team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Best wishes to everyone!

The mad dog x looks like a must have. I take it you are suitably impressed with the beta then?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Exactly. This is nothing compared to the rip off some developers have done. More than fair from the majestic team. 

What angers me the most is my own stupidity by purchasing the same aircraft twice at full price.  Then there is the just because it sais P3d compatible we can charge extra excuse.  Ughh 

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

upgrade price is more than fair.  people who complain about such low upgrades seriously hurt the legitimate argument against the developers who do ask for too much in a version upgrade.  yes, it would be nice if it was free, but making things compatible with every new version of the sim takes time and development energy away from more profitable new products.  it's worth a small fee.  making those adjustments and then charging 1.4 x the original price when an aircraft contains 95% plus of the same code IS wrong, but that isn't what majestic are doing.  again, more than fair.

I have complained a couple of times about inflated upgrade prices. But I think this is more than fair given that they didn‘t charge an upgrade fee going from FSX to Prepar3D v2/3 and given that the offering price for the full product is very fair for the complexity and fidelity offered. 

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

The mad dog x looks like a must have. I take it you are suitably impressed with the beta then?

Absolutely.  You can watch the Beta via my stream (link is posted enough places, I won't repeat it here, especially because we've already digressed enough from the topic.

I'm currently re-working the Aircraft.CFG and AIR files so that it handles better on manual approaches (the one major thing it didn't do well in the past). I often wish I'd kept my mouth shut about it though.

2 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

I know airplanes go for 100 dollars these days but 25 dollars US is more than a small cost. It is the cost of another very high quality airport scenery I can add to my p3d4 installation.

Personally, I think Aerosoft has it right.  Never charge twice for the same files. New files, new work, people have to eat!  That's fair, isn't it?  If you don't  think so, then what you're really saying is that you don't want to pay for flight sim products.  Anyway, that's all Majestic is doing, and they aren't charging near what they should be. It's an entirely different product, not a port over (it couldn't be ported over).

Moreover, your comparing it to scenery is pretty far off base. It's not apples and oranges, it's the difference between a large modern warship and a row boat (without oars).  Sure, they both go into the water, but...  You see, it takes many years to build an aircraft, it takes FAR less to build a large, complex airport. The two aren't even close by the research and work it takes. Plus, unless you fly into/out of just a few airports, you'll use the Dash far more than an airport scenery.

I hope you come to see things differently and enjoy one of the two best aircraft ever created for desktop flight sim in a 64-bit environment..

I wish you the very, very best.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Absolutely.  You can watch the Beta via my stream (link is posted enough places, I won't repeat it here, especially because we've already digressed enough from the topic.

I'm currently re-working the Aircraft.CFG and AIR files so that it handles better on manual approaches (the one major thing it didn't do well in the past). I often wish I'd kept my mouth shut about it though.

Personally, I think Aerosoft has it right.  Never charge twice for the same files. New files, new work, people have to eat!  That's fair, isn't it?  If you don't  think so, then what you're really saying is that you don't want to pay for flight sim products.  Anyway, that's all Majestic is doing, and they aren't charging near what they should be. It's an entirely different product, not a port over (it couldn't be ported over).

Moreover, your comparing it to scenery is pretty far off base. It's not apples and oranges, it's the difference between a large modern warship and a row boat (without oars).  Sure, they both go into the water, but...  You see, it takes many years to build an aircraft, it takes FAR less to build a large, complex airport. The two aren't even close by the research and work it takes. Plus, unless you fly into/out of just a few airports, you'll use the Dash far more than an airport scenery.

I hope you come to see things differently and enjoy one of the two best aircraft ever created for desktop flight sim in a 64-bit environment..

I wish you the very, very best.

It was not comparing scenery. I am comparing only total cost. Spending 25 dollars on A vs B. I could use that to have another addon airport to fly to with my current setup. 

Interesting thread, there's even some comments about the Q400 in it.

For an additional dose of soap opera material, I followed the advice of an earlier poster, and checked out the applicable post on the Majestic forum. Yes, even more drama!

I guess this is what not having access to your favourite turboprop for 5 months will do to you... :happy:

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Yes, "tis so true.... sometimes loss of the "Q" can turn one into a raving lunatic. Present company exempt of course.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

sometime you have to smile the Majestic Dash which is probably one of the best available add ons for FSX/P3d costs just £40 for the pilot and £60 for the pro version at Just Flight it is an absolute bargain for such a high quality aircraft,even after paying £17.74 for the update it is still cheaper than many comparable quality add ons

Peter