lennie

ENVTEX or PTA?

Hi friends,

I am on P3Dv4 now for about a month and really like it! I am unfamiliar with PTA, but having seen some posts on avsim, it seems that lots of you are using it. Have also seen a youtube about ENVTEX this week, and now i don't know which would be best for me. I need something easy as i am not very computer-knowledgeable. I can download some scenery like an airport, or a new a/c and get it working, but more than that, I am stumped.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on which way to turn to upgrade the visuals. I do have all the ORBX stuff and still trying to get AS4 to work properly. My specs are below.

Thanks!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Lennie,

Welcome aboard...

PTA and ENVTEX are two different things— PTA is a shader pack that brightens the environment with realistic lighting - much more like real sunlight illuminating the environment than the dull and dreary default shaders... ENVTEX is a texture pack that improves the environment with better texture - primarily in the atmosphere (sky and clouds) in addition to other textures like water...

My favorite cocktail is Active Sky, ASCA, ENVTEX, and PTA... Obviously this hobby can get pretty expensive quickly - if money is an issue tradionally we see good discounts on many products around the holidays...

I discussed this earlier today here:

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

My favorite cocktail is Active Sky, ASCA, ENVTEX, and PTA

Agreed. That's the right drink to go with P3d v4.

• Upvote 2

Thanks. Maybe I will go with PTA now and wait for sales later. Add one at a time!

Another question: I watched Matt Davies you tube. I don't think i want to mess around with all the stuff right now, so could someone recommend a couple of "presets" and tell me where to find them?

Thanks!!

I would say go with PTA especially if you already have Active Sky or REX. If you have the enhanced REX, I think it is better than EnvTex, but that is just my opinion. Plus it is free for previous owners. 

Lennie,

If you want easy, do as Bert suggested and wait for ENVSHADE.  It will be cheap, completely hands-off and I believe does not require ENVTEX (please correct me here).  PTA is great but you will spend a lot of time tweaking and there is usually some compromise in the visuals.

2 hours ago, lennie said:

Another question: I watched Matt Davies you tube. I don't think i want to mess around with all the stuff right now, so could someone recommend a couple of "presets" and tell me where to find them?

Thanks!!

There are no recommended presets because everyone likes something different but also, more importantly, everyone's system is different. Some people LOVE certain presets and praise it into heaven but they don't realise that that preset may look like **** on another computer. I bought PTA a week ago and tried a lot of presets, some of which were supposed to bring me to heaven but imho they brought me to hell. So try various presets and use the one YOU like on YOUR computer. Don't take anyone's word for it or you might be flying in a sim that looks like **** while you try to convince yourself it looks awesome.

7 minutes ago, J van E said:

There are no recommended presets because everyone likes something different but also, more importantly, everyone's system is different. Some people LOVE certain presets and praise it into heaven but they don't realise that that preset may look like **** on another computer. I bought PTA a week ago and tried a lot of presets, some of which were supposed to bring me to heaven but imho they brought me to hell. So try various presets and use the one YOU like on YOUR computer. Don't take anyone's word for it or you might be flying in a sim that looks like **** while you try to convince yourself it looks awesome.

Totally correct.

Also different monitor settings show different images...

Some people like my preset very much. Others think it is too bright or too dark...

53 minutes ago, GSalden said:

PTA 2.60 in P3Dv4.1 = P4Dv4.2 ..

Touché!

17 hours ago, GSalden said:

PTA 2.60 in P3Dv4.1 = P4Dv4.2 ...

Nice%20Dusk%20-%20P3Dv41.jpg

P3Dv4%20PTA2%20-1.jpg

Nice 

Whatis your preset mate?