bberish

Horrible Experience with New 4K Monitor @30hz

Recommended Posts

I just bought a brand new 4K Samsung 28' monitor today in hopes of getting some buttery smooth frames at a higher resolution... 

My PC Specs, i7 6700 4.0, and Nvidia 1080, 32gigs DDR4 memory, liquid cooling etc. the good stuff :)

I had some problems with micro stutters, and I heard that a 4k 30hz refresh rate monitor would make P3D Beautiful and smooth.

Unfortunately, total opposite case for me... I load up the default F-22, at add on scenery KSEA... I have Vsync, and Triple buffering on.

Smooth for a few seconds 30fps,

then I switch views to spot plane and my frames hit 5fps OR LOWER, and they stay that way... 

So i turn off Vsync a triple buffer, same thing, 5fps or lower in any view, almost as if the sim is freezing momentarily. 

 

After trying a lot of different things, I'm basically using the same resolution as my old monitor, but on my new 4K capable monitor, which is depressing... I'd love to be able to take full advantage of high resolution. 

 

Any suggestions, or thoughts on why this might be happening? My system is totally capable, but I'm not sure why i'm having this issue?

 

Any system or P3D settings you need, just ask.

I feel like this can't be a P3D issue, but a system issue... Is my GPU overloading? I've used task manager to monitor CPU while experiencing 5fps or lower, and CPU usage is very low... surprisingly low actually.

 

Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's very possible you are exhausting your video memory. Are you running MSAA or SSAA? At 4K resolution with a 1080 I wouldn't go higher than about 2x MSAA.

Share this post


Link to post

Try setting frame rates to unlimited  in SIM and VSYNC on. I don’t use triple buffering coz I can’t see any difference and feel it’s not quite as smooth. (Hard to tell)

Make sure your Nvidia settings are default, delete your shaders and Check your FPS. It should be at 30 if your monitor is set to 30hz.

You need to be holding 30 FPS for smooth stutter free fly’n.

Ive dropped my 4k 65”tv to 25hz to eliminate stutters at big 3rd party airports where I could’nt hold 30FPS.

If you’re still getting lower than 30FPS at a default airport in a default aircraft then you’ll need to have a look at other settings and drop them back. Dynamic lighting and speed trees or high autogen and shadows are big hogs.

As an example I have a Titan X (pascal) similar to your 1080 and have textures set at 4k and most slides maxed out. I use Dynamic Lighting (no speed trees) only MSAA and hold a constant 25 FPS most of the time. My CPU is an old 6800k but OC’d to 4.6.

Im guessing, but your machine should see similar results.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't care what you do, you're going to have heck of a time getting a 28 foot monitor to run smoothly. :biggrin: 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post

I have a Samsung 4k monitor tho I use a 1080Ti I have regularly seen between 8 and 10 GBs of the Vram in use at 4k with a terrain setting of 10, all the important sliders to the right and 8xMSAA (flying either the Twin Otter or the PMDG 737. I suspect if you are trying to run the same visual performance levels of 1920x1080 res now at 4k that is the strain for the 1080 Vram which I believe is 8GBs? I know my 980Ti was struggling with much lower sliders because of the 6Gbs in it. I moved to a 1080Ti from it with my old CPU (3930k @4.4Mhz) and the stutters and loading issues disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, wckorb said:

It's very possible you are exhausting your video memory. Are you running MSAA or SSAA? At 4K resolution with a 1080 I wouldn't go higher than about 2x MSAA.

Beat me too it. I'm using 2x 980Ti in sli with a 4K monitor.   I use 4x msaa.  If I use ssaa it kills the system 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm running a old 4690k and a gtx 1070 and have 0 issues maintaining a stable 30 fps with my 4k display.  I would venture to say you have an issue in your PC config somewhere or the sim isn't configured properly.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chuck Nance said:

I don't care what you do, you're going to have heck of a time getting a 28 foot monitor to run smoothly. :biggrin: 

I missed that. A 28’ (foot) monitor might work if you have all slides to the left and no AI traffic. Not sure about SLI in P3Dv4.1 but try a minimum of 6 1080’s in SLI.

😂

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bberish said:

I just bought a brand new 4K Samsung 28' monitor today in hopes of getting some buttery smooth frames at a higher resolution... 

 

Not sure the buttery smooth silver bullet has been found yet.  You don't have a bad setup but everything is still a trade-off. 

Share this post


Link to post

The only problem you will get with GPU Vram is when you use Texture_exp mod. 

 

@bberish Install some tools to monitor your PC and see what's going on. Sounds like you hit some kind of limit somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Chuck Nance said:

I don't care what you do, you're going to have heck of a time getting a 28 foot monitor to run smoothly. :biggrin: 

I got it for a steal! 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, wckorb said:

It's very possible you are exhausting your video memory. Are you running MSAA or SSAA? At 4K resolution with a 1080 I wouldn't go higher than about 2x MSAA.

I went down to 4xMSAA. 

 

I also reset my Nvidia Inspector and NVC to defaults, but immediately changed to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

 

I run Texture exp at 10. Does 9 make much of a visual difference at a 4k resolution on a 28foot monitor?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Try setting frame rates to unlimited  in SIM and VSYNC on. I don’t use triple buffering coz I can’t see any difference and feel it’s not quite as smooth. (Hard to tell)

Make sure your Nvidia settings are default, delete your shaders and Check your FPS. It should be at 30 if your monitor is set to 30hz.

You need to be holding 30 FPS for smooth stutter free fly’n.

Ive dropped my 4k 65”tv to 25hz to eliminate stutters at big 3rd party airports where I could’nt hold 30FPS.

If you’re still getting lower than 30FPS at a default airport in a default aircraft then you’ll need to have a look at other settings and drop them back. Dynamic lighting and speed trees or high autogen and shadows are big hogs.

As an example I have a Titan X (pascal) similar to your 1080 and have textures set at 4k and most slides maxed out. I use Dynamic Lighting (no speed trees) only MSAA and hold a constant 25 FPS most of the time. My CPU is an old 6800k but OC’d to 4.6.

Im guessing, but your machine should see similar results.

Tried the above, set frames to unlimited, VSYNC but NO triple buffer... same issue

Nvidia was set to default except for "Prefer Maximum Performance" - Same issue, frames hover around 30 for a few moments then drop to less than 5fps, whenever I change external views or start flying

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Uteman said:

I have a Samsung 4k monitor tho I use a 1080Ti I have regularly seen between 8 and 10 GBs of the Vram in use at 4k with a terrain setting of 10, all the important sliders to the right and 8xMSAA (flying either the Twin Otter or the PMDG 737. I suspect if you are trying to run the same visual performance levels of 1920x1080 res now at 4k that is the strain for the 1080 Vram which I believe is 8GBs? I know my 980Ti was struggling with much lower sliders because of the 6Gbs in it. I moved to a 1080Ti from it with my old CPU (3930k @4.4Mhz) and the stutters and loading issues disappeared.

A 1080TI makes a huge difference from the 1080? 

What are heaviest hitters on the GPU? Shaders, Texture_EXP? What else can I try adjusting. I want good visuals, as well as a smooth experience.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm running a 4k monitor on a 3770k with a 3gb VRAM GTX 780 just fine. I do have to run the graphics sliders at medium settings. Your hardware is fine, something is messed up with your configuration.

I suggest to start:

1) Disable Nvidia Inspector.

2) Then delete your P3D.cfg and your sliders folder, start p3d, let them rebuild, and then run P3D with the default settings. If it runs fine, bump your settings up slowly one by one.

3) If that hasn't cured it, reinstall your Nvidia drivers doing a clean install then repeat step 2.

Almost make sure your monitor has the correct settings and you are connected to the correct input port, this is especially important if your monitor is a TV.

A lot of people have made good suggestions, however you have not provided enough information on your system configuration and addons. Your problem could be either of those.

If you are using Windows 10....well then it could also be a bad forced update from Microsoft.

What I have suggested is just basics to try and clean up your setup. If they don't work you will need to provide more information and dig deeper. The reason you are getting 5 fps is not due to your video card unless it is faulty or has a bad driver or physical install.

Ted

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now