Alberto Zanot

Really, who uses dynamic lighting?

In my opinion it is a joke, still in a too much early development state.
It just mess up things.

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I do .

My aircraft ( Prosim 737/800 Pro ) uses  Dynamic Lighting so in order to see lights I need to have it enabled.

Also multiple airports have them.

Instead of 4X or 8x SSAA I use 4X MSAA at dawn/dusk/night flights.

Also I set LOD radius , Mesh resolution AG trees ,  water and clouds shadow quality one notch back and I disable ground cast shadows.

Than I can maintain a smooth Sim ( triple view ).

regards, Gerard

Hi Gerard, and thanks for your reply.

Actually that is the point... it works ONLY for some add.ons, and they have to be well-developed.

The fail @ LM was to introduce this feature in an universal way, and in my opinion it is a failure.

I use it on all my flights as well, but there is a caveat. I run in 4k which allows me to run my AA setting at 2xmsaa without introducing any jaggies or causing performance hits from the dynamic lighting. I love it personally.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

What is the caveat?

Google is your friend...

"a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations"

Me. My UK2000 Xtreme sceneries have them. Everyone says they're awful for performance but providing developers don't go crazy putting them everywhere I've not noticed that much impact.

I use it...only when I have to...like on a PMDG long-haul where I depart during the day and land at night.  I wish they would have included the old style lights so I wouldn't have to use the new ones, though.  Firstly, I don't think devs know how to manipulate them well enough and, secondly, I think the devs aren't considering performance well enough.  Yeah, it looks better if you're sitting still but, when you're moving it can turn into a slideshow.

I use it and i don't have problems so far.

Of course i don't go crazy with my graphics settings and i don't use scenery from stone age shoehorned into P3D.

It was an logic step from LM to include DL.

16 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Google is your friend...

"a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations"

O_o 

I know what it means. I dont undertand what is the limitation in Slait's sentence. 

10 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

O_o 

I know what it means. I dont undertand what is the limitation in Slait's sentence. 

I see - my mistake. Don't really get what THE caveat is either - from that post :D

I use it all the time no caveat's, and it looks drop dead gorgeous, all the time.

I do. The only airplane I have issues with is the FSLabs A320, and hopefully when they release their update that's supposed to bring the performance up to other aircraft, it won't be a problem anymore.

1 hour ago, Alberto Zanot said:

What is the caveat?

Slait's caveat is that he's running at 4k, which allows him to use the lower AA settings (MSAA) that do not have an impact on the performance of dynamic lighting.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Aaron.

Using a 4K or 2K monitor with a higher end graphics card allows for low to medium MSAA settings and this makes all the difference in graphics performance. I have dynamic lighting on day & night and don't see a big fps hit.

Most of the P3Dv4 performance issues reported on AVSIM have to do with using SSAA. The investment I made in my monitor and graphics card is well worth avoiding the headaches of SSAA and achieves a similar graphics experience.

Ok i see.

But, does anybody have noticed that with DL enabled the airplanes' landing lights at night do not illuminate ground enough? Just a very faint light, useless.

EDIT: Please, this post is about visual effect of DL and how they look like. It is not about performance or MSAA, SSAA or whatever.

I use it as well - with no issues and performance penalties.

Personally I think it's an amazing contribution to the simulator.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Anders Bermann said:

I use it as well - with no issues and performance penalties.

Personally I think it's an amazing contribution to the simulator.

As do I.

4 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

EDIT: Please, this post is about visual effect of DL and how they look like. It is not about performance or MSAA, SSAA or whatever.

You should have made this clear first ...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

But, does anybody have noticed that with DL enabled the airplanes' landing lights at night do not illuminate ground enough?

Not sure what your question is about or if you're just ranting?  But many people use DL, I do and I know many others do.  How well the lights illuminate depends on the aircraft and the developer of the aircraft.

and more 

I love how GSX service vehicles use DL, makes for a great visual feast.

Cheers, Rob.

No ranting. 

"how developers make use of"... 

This is exactly the point. 

With default stuff they just do not look as intended.