Sign in to follow this  
Deadbug

Best utility for real-time (on-screen) monitoring GPU and CPU performance

Well, I received my new 17 8700K, DDR43200Mhz 32GB, NVidia GTX 1080Ti 11GB system yesterday.

I was wondering what is the best program/utility that you experienced Sim drivers use to display all the important real-time performance details on-screen as you are experimenting with sim variables while flying and the their effects on GPU and CPU?  I've seen GPU-Z mentioned and I have MSI afterburner, but that just shows graphics card performance details, but not the CPU. 

I've seen simulator video clips where all these details (percentage of each core usage, temps, voltage, FPS, etc..) are all displayed in the upper left or right of the screen in small colored text that doesn't distract,  Can anybody point me to the best options?  Thanks!

Bill

CPU-Z is one, but I much prefer Hardware Monitor (same website). But neither is an On Screen program.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I've wondered the same.

One that I've seen in videos is something that comes with MSI motherboards. Afterburner? maybe.

EVGA's Precision software can display GPU information, but not sure if it's on-screen. On certain keyboards, for sure.

Not much help here, but maybe it will guide you somewhat.

I keep the Task manager and sometimes Process Lasso running on my second screen for load information.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I use the System Information from Process Hacker which displays GPU usage as well as per-core CPU usage. Can be run on top.

Kind regards.

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

RealTemp is a great utility that give you the temps and other info for your CPU and GPU and it's free.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

21 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

I've wondered the same.

One that I've seen in videos is something that comes with MSI motherboards. Afterburner? maybe.

EVGA's Precision software can display GPU information, but not sure if it's on-screen. On certain keyboards, for sure.

Not much help here, but maybe it will guide you somewhat.

I keep the Task manager and sometimes Process Lasso running on my second screen for load information.

I have Afterburner, but I'm pretty sure it's GigaByte. I'll check tomorrow though to see if it has an On Display Option.

By the way, I know quite a few people who pick up second and third monitors for pennies on the dollar at Pawn Shops... it never occurred to me to do that, so I purchased all of my 4 for full price. But I've checked at several Pawn Shops purely out of curiosity since learning about it, and each has had monitors for great prices!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

MSI afterburner(with rivatuner) shows all that info that you need(CPU included) just make a search and you gonna find that!

However i had problems with sutters using afterburner in the past, but others use it with no problems, so give it a try!

• Upvote 2

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

6 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I have Afterburner, but I'm pretty sure it's GigaByte. I'll check tomorrow though to see if it has an On Display Option.

By the way, I know quite a few people who pick up second and third monitors for pennies on the dollar at Pawn Shops... it never occurred to me to do that, so I purchased all of my 4 for full price. But I've checked at several Pawn Shops purely out of curiosity since learning about it, and each has had monitors for great prices!

Thanks for the tip.

What a great idea. My second monitor is 10yrs old and look it. I'll take a trip to the pawnshop then.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Really appreciate the ideas everyone--I have afterburner--like all the others mentioned, it takes up a lot of opaque screen real estate (I only have the one monitor--but it's a beauty..4K Acer Predator 32").  Not going the multi-monitor route.  I don't want a pop-up window overlaying the cockpit or other views.

I wish I could find a screen shot of a video I saw posted somewhere--it showed yellow-colored text ONLY (no GUI), somewhat transparent, compact, and every parameter you could want...all neatly tucked in the upper left corner of the screen in a very small footprint.  That is what I'm hoping somebody will mention.

Thanks,

Bill

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Yes! That is what I use.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Deadbug said:

I wish I could find a screen shot of a video I saw posted somewhere--it showed yellow-colored text ONLY (no GUI), somewhat transparent, compact, and every parameter you could want...all neatly tucked in the upper left corner of the screen in a very small footprint.  That is what I'm hoping somebody will mention.

Thanks,

Bill

That is configurable in Afterburner, I think. I used PrecisonX from EVGA whilst setting up P3D v4 when it came out but not since.

Prepar3D_2017_10_28_22_13_25_815.jpg

Here's a YT Link on how to configure the OSD settings for Afterburner

Hope this helps

Kind regards

• Upvote 2

Tokitaumelie,

That's really close to what I I was trying to describe--I didn't know Afterburner could do that on screen--but it still isn't quite what I was looking for, as Afterburner just is limited to displaying GPU performance, I believe.  But the format is exactly what I was talking about.  Thanks.  The one I saw was almost identical, except it had CPU processer voltage, temp, stats on all 6 cores--in addition to all the graphics card info.

Thanks for that input--very useful.

12 minutes ago, Tokitaumelie said:

That is configurable in Afterburner, I think. I used PrecisonX from EVGA whilst setting up P3D v4 when it came out....

HOLD EVERYTHING!! 
Tokitaumelie, you were right on the money--I researched Afterburner a bit more and also found a YouTube video that demonstrates what it can do--it is more than just a GPU monitor, you can configure a ton of variables from BOTH the GPU and CPU.  This is exactly what I wanted!  This forum is great--thanks again! 

Best Regards,

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have Afterburner overlay working in the P3Dv4.1. On my system the overlay info ( FPS,CPU load etc.) shows up during the Loading texture screen in P3Dv4.1, but when it change to the real display the overlay disapear.

Any ideas what it wrong with my setup?

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3