I'll get straight to the point. I got a new computer, so I had to re-download my addons. So I did.

I reinstalled my FSDT addons onto this computer and the installation went fine. But, when I launched the game, 

couatl crashes. I don't mean it crashes the game, but couatl.exe crashes. So, I have no addonmanager and no GSX, etc.

I have reinstalled it, without my antivirus, but I didn't need to because my original computer had the antivirus on, and it still works.

-Aaron Kim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

11 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

I'll get straight to the point. I got a new computer, so I had to re-download my addons. So I did.

I reinstalled my FSDT addons onto this computer and the installation went fine. But, when I launched the game, 

couatl crashes. I don't mean it crashes the game, but couatl.exe crashes. So, I have no addonmanager and no GSX, etc.

I have reinstalled it, without my antivirus, but I didn't need to because my original computer had the antivirus on, and it still works.

-Aaron Kim

Try running FSDT Updater.  It should be on your desktop but if the installer you used was old enough you might have to go to their web site, any product, and download the Stand Alone Addon Manger.  That should fix you up.

13 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

-Aaron Kim

Well, that's the trademark of that annoying thing called couatl. That's the reason I'm not currently installing any FSDT product on my P3Dv4.2 setup. Too time consuming.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Couatl is an absolutely AWFUL executable.  I bought a bunch of FSDT's sceneries but never re-installed them when I upgraded to P3Dv4.2 due to the instability and stutters.  Despite what they say, it DOES make my sim stutter.  But when I said that I was yelled at and called a liar.  Thanks buddy, I'll be sure to never buy any more of your sceneries.

Edited by Greg073
typo
  • Like 3

I just have not had a good experience with couatl either, I'm not knocking anything or anybody, this is just my personal experience. Maybe not much help to the original poster, but I just can't get my sim running smoothly with that program. It causes problems on my system, and I have reluctantly decided not to install anything that uses it.

Again, this is just my personal observation from using it in the past on my system and how it affects my setup. Not meant to dissuade anybody, Your mileage may vary.

Jd  

Posted (edited)

Fine... but, you're not helping the OP.  I'm not a fan of couatl either but there are a lot of FSDT locations I must have.  I suspect that his new KORD, which will use a PDK module instead of simconnect, will be a major step forward and hopefully more stable.  The problems I personally have been able to attribute to couatl in the past year is only one or two and those had to do with the update process.  Knock on wood, all seems to be running normally now and I use GSX at every airport... even customize parking spots to get the most out of it.  I guess there are two approaches to troubleshooting, try to solve the problem or avoid it.

Edited by downscc

1 hour ago, downscc said:

which will use a PDK module instead of simconnect, will be a major step forward and hopefully more stable...

The Prepar3D software Development Kit (PDK) incorporates access to some simulation objects through the IUnknown service interface. These are dll only as they don't do networking like the network pipes of SimConnect. However, it is the dll that is the cause of performance problems and of crashes and instability issues which are infrequently SimConnect borne, if ever. However it's good to know that it is understood that the overkill of SimConnect can be avoided where possible.

Posted (edited)

GUYS i figured it out.

It is a Windows update again

here's the update name:

KB4100403

i uninstalled it, and Couatl is up and running!

UPDATE: 

Nope, nevermind. it seems to have done nothing.

Edited by Aaron Kim

UPDATE 2:
After receiving help from Microsoft themselves, couatl works fine!!!!!

It is due to the latest build of Windows 10, 1803.

YAAAAAY!!!!!!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Aaron Kim said:

UPDATE 2:
After receiving help from Microsoft themselves, couatl works fine!!!!!
It is due to the latest build of Windows 10, 1803.

Would you mind describing what steps you took with Microsoft's help to resolve your problems please?
I've had issues with Couatl since the Windows 1803 update.

Edited by F737NG

I used the "get help" program that is installed with Windows.

When we were developing FSXAssist, couatl it was the 1 app that would crash consistently.

Cheers bs

14 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

I used the "get help" program that is installed with Windows.

That sure doesn't tell us much, if anything at all.

Sorry, the Get Help program will let you contact with a person and will give the person remote access to diagnose your computer. 

If you want to switch between an earlier build, go to 

Settings > Update & Security > Recovery and there will be an option to go back to another build.

(This only applies to Windows 10)

So after all the bashing of couatl it wasn't couatl after all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Something weird was happening to my system too (it kept asking me to activate and will give error even though the products were active in registry and what not).  I ran P3D in admin and everything worked. 

Can you run Prepar3d in Admin mode and see what happens.

Edited by Skywolf

15 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

So after all the bashing of couatl it wasn't couatl after all.

That's the most usual conclusion of all threads related to it, if one is really interested to follow it to the very thread.

It would be helpful to know what the Microsoft support did to help the OP. I checked, and I DO have KB4100403 installed so, I don't think there were any incompatibility with it, maybe something went wrong when installing that update.

I checked the list of files contained in the update, and there are in fact updated versions of the VC++ 2015 runtime, which is what Couatl use.

New versions of the same VC++ runtime are normally backward compatible and applications using it are not supposed to be recompiled but, of course, a failed installation of them would cause issues with every application that use that runtime, but this might not be immediately obvious, because not all apps might call the same calls . and there are many hundreds of them in the VC++ runtime.

Yeah, most of the time addons aren't causing the problem. It's usually the user, other addons, or the operating system.

• Upvote 1

Well, yay the update installed again 😕

I guess i'll have to revert to another build again.

On 6/13/2018 at 12:30 AM, virtuali said:

It would be helpful to know what the Microsoft support did to help the OP.

The Microsoft support said to revert to another build.