Sign in to follow this  
captain420

New mega airport in Dubai! Which developer wants to tackle this?

Have you guys heard about this new airport that they're building in Dubai? It's supposedly going to be the world's largest. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

😮

It looks like a circuit board.

• Like 2

My framerate is like "hell no".

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1. This was going to be an extremely ambitious project as well as a logistical nightmare from the beginning (I'm talking from the days when this was just being discussed verbally between engineers and contractors).
2. The video thumbnail you see above is from the pre-financial crisis period where funding was no issue. Now, the project is starkly different and will not be anywhere close to the scale seen above.

3. Given the current situation in the Middle East, chances are this will not become the new 'primary' international airport anytime soon. Add to that the lack of public transportation and how far Al Maktoum Intl actually is from Dubai (50 minutes without traffic, 2 hours with) and people are more than happy to continue using DXB.

4. Based on 3, you can see what the airport looks like currently. There are very few commercial flights out of OMDW for this reason and it looks like it will stay that way with operators having to deal with larger problems before accepting such a massive move. This has given rise to the movement of cargo operations to OMDW which has freed up some space at OMDB and as a result, OMDB recently got a brand new terminal to cater to the growing traffic.

5. If you look at the Northern coast of UAE, you will see Abu Dhabi (OMAA), Al Maktoum Intl (OMDW), Dubai (OMDB) and Sharjah (OMSJ) pretty much in a line with very little dedicated airspace between them. This is already a problem area given the transit traffic UAE receives so the addition of OMDW as a primary player is highly unlikely until the fate of OMDB has been decided and funded for. 

I say the above with a certain degree of confidence as I'm part of both the aviation as well as the construction industry here but one thing I can guarantee pilots as well as developers that may be looking to make this, you can make the airport as it looks currently and you won't be required to make any substantial updates for at least 3 years. 

Edited by krazyk

probably be DD, Justsim , MK and aerosoft.  but dont tell them

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Way too complicated.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

As I understand it this airport is not seeing that much airline interest yet.  The hype is good, it is always good media hype to brag one's airport is the world's largest, but proximity to the central urban core matters.  In Phoenix we love our Sky Harbor Airport because it is minutes from downtown and only twenty minutes or so away from much of our population.  It takes me less time to get there than it does for me to check in quite often.  We have light rail that goes right up to its people mover, a sky bridge connects the light rail station to the people mover, and one can get there for four dollars using a combo of a brief bus ride, followed by a light rail ride that goes thru our downtown, just minutes away from the airport stop,  Phoenix's city planners were smart in getting an airport so close to our urban centers.  We have a reliever airport way out in Mesa, but few airlines go there, and there are not many direct flights from there with good flight times for the consumer, it is just a place to look for cheap fares to out of the way cities.

Perhaps the airport in Dubai will one day replace its main one, time will only tell.  Dubai the city gets a lot of hype, but given the culture there I would not want to live there, too strict for my tastes but that is just a personal preference, I know some prefer living that way,  Dubai and the UAE are trying to become a tourist destination knowing that the oil revenue will not last forever, and I do wish them luck in that regard.  My college buddy Muhammad was son of the defense minister of UAE and was a great young man to go to school with, friendly to all of us, and he'd be flown back from Napa County airport on private jet to the UAE on some weekends, we always laughed about his travels and his blessings.  I often wonder where he is today, 40 years from when I was lucky enough to know him.

John

Some developer will do it, should be available for P3Dv6 😆

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Good luck to whoever tries.

On 8/4/2018 at 7:15 AM, tooting said:

probably be DD, Justsim , MK and aerosoft.  but dont tell them

Why not all of them (at once)? It would be typical. 😆

Haven't the airport plans (at as they're presented in the video above) been scrapped? Or part of it scrapped?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

52 minutes ago, ABermann said:

Why not all of them (at once)? It would be typical. 😆

Haven't the airport plans (at as they're presented in the video above) been scrapped? Or part of it scrapped?

That was my point.  

I thought Dwc was only used for cargo?? 

If I was emirates I'd be more worried about the 35 or so a/c that are sitting on the ramp uncrewed as they don't have enough skippers. Maybe they shouldnt of screwed them over in the first place when they changed the commuters contracts 

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png