Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

PMDG 747-400 Question for those who have it

OK, this is really simple. I have a bit of extra dollars to spend on a few last ditch add-ons for FS9. I'm at the point where I have most of what I want, and I wont be doing any more scenery add-ons due to the proximity of FSX. I have been noticing what a fine model the PMDG 747 is. I have all the other free version of the 747. I really think that I wont use most of the "systems" aspects of this aircraft but want it for the fantastic detail of the model. My question is simple, do I need to push a million buttons to get airborne and fly around? or can I just jump in and fly a few circuits when i like? If I can't just jump in, I wont be getting it. I usually mess around with the systems stuff only once or twice, then just like to go fly. I don't want to have to start the thing from scratch every time. Thanks for the help! I'd really think this would be enjoyable but dont want the complexity If i can't get around it.Hornit

Well, I am sure you could do it with out programming the FMC, but it still takes a lot of setup to get it to fly properly. It is not one where you can ctrl+E and go. You still have to make sure all the systems are functioning before you fly. If you have no hydraulics, your brakes won't work, flaps won't work... and so on. If you aren't going to fly it the way it was meant to be flown, it would be a waste of $54. Were I you, I would look at the Aerosim or Overland models. They are much more simple, but still look good.

Hi Hornit!The PMDG Queen is a complex simulation of a modern glass cockpit jet. The simple answer is you cannot jump in, hit ctrl E and away you go. :) It will require proper setup and the time to learn procedures. You can save situations and start with engines running and ready to program the CDU. If you spend that much money, why not take the time to learn the tutorial and enjoy the experience! :) Have fun!Bob...

Hi,I bought the PMDG 747 soon after it was released and being new to flightsim it was my first add on.Having only used the default aircraft before I was surprised how easy it was to get airborne and also how very different the aircraft felt.So pleased I was with just flying her that I decided that I would not be in too much of a rush to learn how to program the fmc and understand the systems.However,that did not last long and I now enjoy flying both 'by the book'and just plain joyriding.An excellent add on.regards Jim

As a 747 user I can say following...You can definitely set up your FS9 so that you can fly the Queen just after the start. For example, have a default flight set to a started Cessna 172, that will give you, when you start your 747, totally ready aircraft for flying, except you will have to extend flaps, which take a little while on the PMDG 747 (realistic).But if you wish to start from the cold cockpit, push a button and engines come alive, no, you can't do that with the PMDG 747.You can also save your own panel situation. So for example, set it up, so that you only have to pull the start switches. That will give you the simplicity with all functionality if you wish to use it.And of course, you can fly it as a default aircraft, VOR to VOR, if you wish, or just VFR. I do sometimes, just doing some military missile dodging in the Alps :-)I see the Queen as completely configurable aircraft, with lots of potential for any user.

Yes, you can jump in and just fly it around. No need for all the "system stuff". Just set the fuel weight, drop the flaps, and go. I fly it that way about half the time.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

If you load the 747 from the Create a Flight menu on a runway, all you have to do is lower the flaps to 10, trim the nose up a little bit, release the parking brake and you can take off with no problem at all.If you do buy the plane, I would recommend learning how to enter flight plans into the FMC though. If I load the plane in the above state, I can have it totally ready to do WITH the FMC and autopilot properly configured in less than 5 minutes usually. We have a whole series of learning tutorials called the PMDG Type Rating Course that will teach you how to fly the plane realistically.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for all the replies gents. Persoanlly as a real pilot who gets to use real ATC, FMC's, and the real world ATC system. I'm more about admiring superb modeling and texture work, along with a realistic FDE, than I am about cold and dark cockpits. I get plenty of that in the real world ;)Hornit

Hornit, as a "Delta pilot, curently 757/767 Ex US Navy F-18/A-7E" you should know some of these buttons huh???? or maybe in the real life do you also press ctrl +E??*:-*

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Heh, yeah I know some of those buttons! By the way, I'm now a MD-88 driver here. The only problem is simming time comes at a premium these days so I take lots of shortcuts while im sitting here at the PC. I have always thought that these add-on houses should have a light version of thier products, with no sounds and default cockpits for those of us who just want the models. I dont have Overlands stuff becuase I probably wouldn't even use half of it. Wish they sold the models seperately and allowed online purchase and download.Hornit

Well if you are familiar with how to get such an aircraft going, then there are multiple possibilities in which state you can save the panel. Completely cold-and dark, completely running, or with the engines off.I think you won't need more than 5 minutes to familiarize yourself with the differences between the 757/767 and this one.I had simulated experiences with the 767 (LevelD) and I could jump right into this one without having to learn anything new, except that you don't have to set the ILS frequency yourself.

As one who was quite involved in testing this wonderful 744 simulation I can say 100% that one can still dive right in and "fly". Of course you will not be using the AFDS to it's fullest but you never know, perhaps in time you will desire to know how such a complex machine operates in RL. Anyways you will not be wating any money even for what you want here................Randy J. Smith................CAUTION! My views represent no one but my own. While I do help companies test products - this in no way means I represent them in ANY fashion.[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Of course you will not be using the AFDS to it's>fullest but you never know, perhaps in time you will desire to>know how such a complex machine operates in RL. Considering his extensive real world flight experience he might have a clue, LOL. Jim it's nice to see a real pilot not get so caught up into the systems side of FS for a change.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/tfbeta.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest jboweruk

I did pretty much that last night, dove right in and from a cold and dark cockpit to airborne took me just over ten minutes, including one run off the runway's end at KOSH because her majesty jammed the brakes on to tell me she wasn't configured correctly. Thankfully being a sim you get to make mistakes like that and come back and try again.But no if you have the other complex planes like LvlD's 767, or the PMDG737's then she's actually quite easy.

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Captain Sim 757 may be for you. It doesn't have extensive system modeling, it's more of a jump-in-and-fly type of thing, and the exterior visual model and the interior virtual cockpit are really outstanding. You'll need the block A,B,and C. It flys pretty nicely too, and the sound set is really good, I think.The PMDG 747 is not especially complex to start up and fly, but if you don't like pushing buttons that much it may not be so satisfying