Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

REX Sky Force in a networked setup?

REX is currently having their Black Friday sale with 50% off and I'm thinking about getting REX Sky Force. Since I'm running Active Sky for P3D v4 on a client PC connecting to the sim PC over the network, I would like to know if it is possible to run REX Sky Force together with ASP4 on such a networked setup? If yes, must REX Sky Force be installed on the client PC or on the sim PC?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

G'day Carlo,

if you plan on using SF3D for textures only (make sure the built-in Wx engine is disabled) you could install it on your sim PC and make sure you run it first (before firing up ASP4). Then continue running it in minimized mode. Also, make sure ASCA (if you have it) is not active.

You can download the SF3D manual from the REX site and it should be able to answer most of your questions. I run SF3D and ASN on my sim PC with no issues whatsoever and enjoy a great Wx experience.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, Tony. However, the question that I have is whether REX Sky Force does work in conjunction with ASP4 when ASP4 is running over the network on a separate PC. 

Edited by carlito777

I don't see why not. If you are asking whether it could interface with ASP4 dynamically (as ASP4 does with ASCA) I really am not sure.

4 hours ago, carlito777 said:

REX is currently having their Black Friday sale with 50% off and I'm thinking about getting REX Sky Force. Since I'm running Active Sky for P3D v4 on a client PC connecting to the sim PC over the network, I would like to know if it is possible to run REX Sky Force together with ASP4 on such a networked setup? If yes, must REX Sky Force be installed on the client PC or on the sim PC?

I run Active Sky and Sky Force on the same client PC in my network.  I run both simultaneously (Sky Force weather engine disabled). Have no problems. Using P3D v4.

I run Active Sky for P3Dv4 and Rex Skyforce with the Weather Engine off and In Sync Engine On. All on a 2nd PC, along with ProATC, PFPX and sometimes AviaSoft EFB (client). 

Seems to work well for me, as long as you have all your SimConnects configured properly and your firewalls setup to allow the network traffic to pass between the two PC.s.  I have been running it like this, since the release of REX Skyforce. So far so good.

4 hours ago, rickjake said:

I run Active Sky for P3Dv4 and Rex Skyforce with the Weather Engine off and In Sync Engine On. All on a 2nd PC, along with ProATC, PFPX and sometimes AviaSoft EFB (client). 

Seems to work well for me, as long as you have all your SimConnects configured properly and your firewalls setup to allow the network traffic to pass between the two PC.s.  I have been running it like this, since the release of REX Skyforce. So far so good.

What is the advantage(s) of doing this? Do you have to install anything extra in the Simulator PC for this setup to work? I have both software but run them directly in the Simulator PC. The only one I run in another computer in the same network (it's a laptop) is PFPX, because I don't interrupt the simulation for any reason whatsoever.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, guys!

The advantage of running Active Sky or ATC software over the network is simply that it doesn't consume CPU resources on your sim PC. I experience less stutters when running these pieces of software on a seperate PC. However, with modern hardware with hexa-core or octa-core CPUs the benefits of it are decreasing. But I'm still running an old 4770K which is only quad-core.

You need to setup Simconnect for networked operation in order for this to work. The Active Sky manual has a session on how to do this which is quite informative.

Edited by carlito777

6 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Thanks for the replies, guys!

The advantage of running Active Sky or ATC software over the network is simply that it doesn't consume CPU resources on your sim PC. I experience less stutters when running these pieces of software on a seperate PC. However, with modern hardware with hexa-core or octa-core CPUs the benefits of it are decreasing. But I'm still running an old 4770K which is only quad-core.

You need to setup Simconnect for networked operation in order for this to work. The Active Sky manual has a session on how to do this which is quite informative.

Thanks for the info! Most probably yes, currently I'm using a 8700K 5 GHz all six cores and I'm not sure it would be worthy to rum them elsewhere over the network, I used to observe their CPU load and it's too little to cause any stutter other than the ones of the P3D's own nature. And it's also interesting to know that they don't need anything extra other than a SimConnect link to the simulator.