Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Hyperthreading for P3D. Yes or no?

Nope Bert, not since P3D v4.4.
I know it can look weird but I am monitoring the system daily and for a week already: all cores remain busy.

Other flight, FL 180:
EqmuWd.jpg

Smooth and crisp:
cFtyNB.jpg

qZbJWu.jpg

Cloudy weather:
TPa9XM.jpg

Average FPS with the FSL A319 is 28-35.
Settings are pretty insane though:
VnJ2Iy.jpg
(Yes.... 8xSSAA)

M7J6Zq.jpg

Map8wG.jpg

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

33 minutes ago, David Roch said:

I know it can look weird but I am monitoring the system daily and for a week already: all cores remain busy.

Other flight, FL 180:

Smooth and crisp

David how is the performance with that 9900K? Just curious.

Upgrade time here local in the beginning of next year, appreciated the feedback.

André

5 hours ago, David Roch said:

When you are sitting still on a runway?

Bert

Hello André 🙂
I believe the screenies are showing the performance which are beyond my expectations.
But the GPU is helping a lot under bad weather or at heavy airports.
To be honest I am sooooo happy with this new rig!

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

When you are sitting still on a runway?

OK, I'll post a screenshot a bit later. Time for dinner here 🙂

Best regards,
David Roch

9 minutes ago, David Roch said:

OK, I'll post a screenshot a bit later. Time for dinner here 🙂

And, if I may, what influence does your Process Lasso (featured in your screenshots) have on this?

Bert

Hello again Bert,

PL has zero effect, I just use the green bars for monitoring the cores load.
Here you are, at the gate and on the runway, very balanced load between all 8 cores.

1OR2Hz.jpg

0rlK7a.jpg

Best regards,
David Roch

OK, one more test.. daytime without fancy weather and lighting..

At some point you will see the underlying core usage by P3D.. and then you can add all the other stuff to load up your system.

At least that is what I observe.. but that is with Windows 7, and a Haswell quad CPU.. maybe your system is different enough to behave differently.. :unsure:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 hours ago, awf said:

David how is the performance with that 9900K? Just curious.

Upgrade time here local in the beginning of next year, appreciated the feedback.

Save your money and go with a 9700K

• Like 2

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, David Roch said:

Hello André 🙂
I believe the screenies are showing the performance which are beyond my expectations.
But the GPU is helping a lot under bad weather or at heavy airports.
To be honest I am sooooo happy with this new rig!

Thanks appreciated David thinking also of the GTX 208X series... Since I have gone the 2K route would that not be a problem, but preparing myself for the ray tracing stuff 🙂

Amazing what can be done with that 🙂

Glad you enjoy your new system...

André

All these add-ons just to manage what is running where....I hope future versions of Prepar3D will simply query the processor to determine the how to assign (HT/cores) for the best performance.  This is Lockheed-Martin after all.  Some basic experimentation on their part should suggest the proper IF/THEN conditions at initialization to give everyone the best possible experience without individual users having to fiddle with config files or add-ons.

Mark

11 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

OK, one more test.. daytime without fancy weather and lighting..

At some point you will see the underlying core usage by P3D.. and then you can add all the other stuff to load up your system.

At least that is what I observe.. but that is with Windows 7, and a Haswell quad CPU.. maybe your system is different enough to behave differently.. :unsure:

Here you are Bert.
P3D v4.4 behaves differently on my rig indeed.
2nLVXS.jpg

9 hours ago, awf said:

Glad you enjoy your new system...

Yes very much, my wife and bank don't share my enthusiasm, really don't know why! :--))

Best regards,
David Roch

It would appear so..

You appear to run 218 processes.. that should indeed keep your CPU busy..

I run 58.  :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Well, here is the CPU load with "only" 197 processes (no P3D related progs in the background): 8%

X4Y0nI.jpg

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

HT is faster by design. However discussions about HT On/Off without fine selection of a specific AM for your system is pointless, does not draw any sensible conclusion. It's your task to investigate and find how to make your CPU perform at full capability (which is HT On) with your application. It's not like "I tried HT On/Off, didn't like it and shut it down". You have to play with many different combinations of AM, P3D and your apps before drawing a conclusion. And even then... your criteria may be different, one is looking for higher FPS and other for a smoother texture/objects flow.

PS: the above makes sense when is at maximal P3D settings and @ lowest FPS the simulator and your eye can accept. See, how many variables we have here?

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2