Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Hyperthreading for P3D. Yes or no?

23 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

My observation for the first few weeks of using this cpu is a rather balanced across all cores.

That's very interesting indeed.
Maybe feedback from other 9xxx CPUs owners will corroborate my thoughts that the Core0/Core1 story ended with P3D V4.4.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I am just getting a little muddled, if you have an i7 with 8 cores and not using an AM setting or anything, what cores will attempt to run on. P3D run on out of the box?

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

4 hours ago, David Roch said:

High voltage doesn't bother me as long as it never reaches 1.45 in bench tests and as long as the system stays bellow 80C in all conditions.

Just curious, but what kind of cooler have you got on that CPU..?? 80C seems mighty warm, especially for extended periods of time, I know it's below TJ max, but still, for the longevity of the CPU I don't think it's good for it to run that hot for any length of time.

Again: he needs the high voltage for reaching 5.1GHz and with more than 1.40V, 80°C under load is more than reasonable. I would nevertheless try to find an ideal manual Vcore setting as those AUTO setting might deliver way too much volts to the CPU.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Again, without HT, voltage never exceed 1.36 and temps stay below 70C @5.1GHz, which is perfect for me.
Well, I don't want to enter a manual Vcore value, even if it's the ideal sweet spot because then, you stick with it all the time and I am not sure it is better for the CPU's lifespan.

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

22 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Again: he needs the high voltage for reaching 5.1GHz and with more than 1.40V, 80°C under load is more than reasonable. I would nevertheless try to find an ideal manual Vcore setting as those AUTO setting might deliver way too much volts to the CPU.

I read his complete comments, I know what he needs the voltage for. I certainly wouldn't want my CPU running at 80C for long periods of time, that's for sure.

14 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Again, without HT, voltage never exceed 1.36 and temps stay below 70C @5.1GHz, which is perfect for me.

That's certainly much more reasonable David, thanks for clarifying it. I'd still be curious to know what kind of cooler you are using..??

Just for comparison, I run my i7 8700K with HT on and everything is pretty much maxed out in P3D settings, my display is a 32" monitor with P3D @ 2560x1440. I have a Noctua D-15 on top of my CPU and temps monitored with Aida 64 never top 50-52C. 

The other day I noticed after an extended P3D session my temps had hit 75C, turns out the cooler fins were clogged up with dust, but cleaning them off got things back to normal.

Note to self: blow the dust out of the case and components every so often.. lol

Edited by SunDevil56

I have the same temps with HT=OFF and 5.0 OC on my 9900k as David does. My intention is to stay with HT off for some time and see P3D performance in various scenarios.

31 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

That's certainly much more reasonable David, thanks for clarifying it. I'd still be curious to know what kind of cooler you are using..??

Just for comparison, I run my i7 8700K with HT on and everything is pretty much maxed out in P3D settings, my display is a 32" monitor with P3D @ 2560x1440. I have a Noctua D-15 on top of my CPU and temps monitored with Aida 64 never top 50-52C. 

The other day I noticed after an extended P3D session my temps had hit 75C, turns out the cooler fins were clogged up with dust, but cleaning them off got things back to normal.

Note to self: blow the dust out of the case and components every so often.. lol

Yes, dust means heat!! 🙂

Well, I am using a very modest IAO cooler from Thermaltake, and I am very surprised by the very correct results.
@ 5.0GHz, temps never exceed 65C in high demanding bench tests.
@ 5.1GHz, temps remain below 72C in same conditions and max 69C with P3D.
(see pic here:)

(Cooler is Thermaltake - Riing 12 RGB)

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

21 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Yes, dust means heat!! 🙂

Well, I am using a very modest IAO cooler from Thermaltake, and I am very surprised by the very correct results.
@ 5.0GHz, temps never exceed 65C in high demanding bench tests.
@ 5.1GHz, temps remain below 72C in same conditions and max 69C with P3D.
(see pic here:)

(Cooler is Thermaltake - Riing 12 RGB)

If you have room for it in your tower case I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get those temps down a good 10C with a better cooler, but if you're happy with what you've got that's fine too.

Noctua's coolers aren't cheap, but they make some of the best air coolers available.

Yes, I had a Noctua in my previous rig, fantastic coolers.
But I am happy with the very silent Thermaltake one. Less dust to wipe! 🙂

Best regards,
David Roch

1 hour ago, David Roch said:

Well, I don't want to enter a manual Vcore value, even if it's the ideal sweet spot because then, you stick with it all the time and I am not sure it is better for the CPU's lifespan.

I am not that sure about this. The AUTO function can lead to peak voltages that are far beyond what is good for your CPU and if the peaks are short enough, you will not even be capable to trace them because no sensor or software will be showing this to you. I have never seen overclocking with AUTO Vcore, nobody does this (due to the possible Peaks). With a fixed Vcore of 1.40 or below you are on the safe side, no harm done to your processor. I even have 2 years guarantee on my preselected 8700K and the recommended fixed vcore is 1.380V.

1 hour ago, SunDevil56 said:

I read his complete comments, I know what he needs the voltage for. I certainly wouldn't want my CPU running at 80C for long periods of time, that's for sure.

Sorry to say, but regarding your comments and your insisting on what cooler he uses, the comparison you do with your 8700K and the temps you get with a NH-D15, you might not really know what it is all about the voltage. Your 8700K would also not stay at those temps you have now when you force 1.40V and 5.0GHz. Without being delidded, the temps would rocket way above 80°C under full load with a NH-D15 and such a voltage number.

Means: his 80°C with 1.40V tells me that he has a very potent cooling solution, at least as good as the NH-D15.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Sorry to say, but regarding your comments and your insisting on what cooler he uses, the comparison you do with your 8700K and the temps you get with a NH-D15, you might not really know what it is all about the voltage. Your 8700K would also not stay at those temps you have now when you force 1.40V and 5.0GHz. Without being delidded, the temps would rocket way above 80°C under full load with a NH-D15 and such a voltage number.

Means: his 80°C with 1.40V tells me that he has a very potent cooling solution, at least as good as the NH-D15.

I'm not "insisting" anything, I simply asked a question out of curiosity because I like to hear what others are using and compare notes.

I don't need to delid or overclock, I get great performance with my stock setup "as is", and cooler is better in my experience. But YMMV.

8 hours ago, David Roch said:

Yes, I confirm, same usage of all cores under all conditions. That's why I don't use anymore AM.
I agree that's very odd and against all we know about how P3D deals with multi-threaded tasks.
So I can only assume LM has seriously improved this matter with the v4.4 and that the 9900K is taking benefit of it.

But that's just it -- I am using 4.4 also, and with no AM -- I am NOT seeing the same type of load-balancing you are seeing.

Is there something inherent to the 9900K doing this?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

4 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

I'm not "insisting" anything, I simply asked a question out of curiosity because I like to hear what others are using and compare notes.

I don't need to delid or overclock, I get great performance with my stock setup "as is", and cooler is better in my experience. But YMMV.

The problem is stuff like this:

5 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

If you have room for it in your tower case I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get those temps down a good 10C with a better cooler, but if you're happy with what you've got that's fine too.

This implies that you did not understand what those 1.40V and 5.1GHz mean, if you really think that switching from the AIO cooler David has to a NH-D15 as you have will bring down the  temperatures 10C on his overclocked 9900K. That's all I am saying...

Greetings, Chris

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

This implies that you did not understand what those 1.40V and 5.1GHz mean, if you really think that switching from the AIO cooler David has to a NH-D15 as you have will bring down the  temperatures 10C on his overclocked 9900K. That's all I am saying...

Fine, whatever...

Edited by SunDevil56