Christopher Low

CaptainSim 757 P3D v4

Recommended Posts

Can someone answer me the following questions with respect to the P3D v4 version of the CaptainSim 757......

  • Does it have a full manual save option? In other words, are all panel buttons/switches/settings retained when loading a saved scenario?
  • Can fuel and payload be set with the FMS?
  • Is the FMS fully functional? Am I able to build flightplans with direct FMS input (as opposed to importing from elsewhere)?
  • Realistic sound effects (including thrust reversers)?
  • Does the autopilot work properly? By this, I mean.....does it fly the plane reasonably accurately when compared to the magenta line (as opposed to only a vague connection like some planes I could mention)?
  • Does it handle well on the ground? Realistic power settings to get it moving/smooth turns etc.
  • Finally......can I look forward to a $10 sale any time soon? :wink:
Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Effective 0000z 23DEC18 for 24hrs only you can buy it for $25 so we can both find out for that price (literally just got the Captain Sim News email 1 minute ago).

Cheers,

Mark

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, Mark! Are they discounting the Rolls Royce engine expansion pack aswell?

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Can someone answer me the following questions with respect to the P3D v4 version of the CaptainSim 757......

  • Does it have a full manual save option? In other words, are all panel buttons/switches/settings retained when loading a saved scenario?
  • Can fuel and payload be set with the FMS?
  • Is the FMS fully functional? Am I able to build flightplans with direct FMS input (as opposed to importing from elsewhere)?
  • Realistic sound effects (including thrust reversers)?
  • Does the autopilot work properly? By this, I mean.....does it fly the plane reasonably accurately when compared to the magenta line (as opposed to only a vague connection like some planes I could mention)?
  • Does it handle well on the ground? Realistic power settings to get it moving/smooth turns etc.
  • Finally......can I look forward to a $10 sale any time soon? :wink:

Yes there's a panel save.

Yes fuel can be set in the fms.

Yes the fms is fully functional with respect to routes.

I think the default sounds are fantastic. Definitely the best on a Captain Sim aircraft.

Autopilot still has some issues over shooting altitude restrictions. People complain about having to deploy speed brake on descent. But apparently this is realistic behavior in the 757.

Ground handling is fairly good within p3d's limitations. It also supports a tiller axis very well if you have a peripheral to use as a tiller.

My main complaint is this aircraft is very performance heavy. I struggle to get over 24 fps in larger airports. In cruise it's fine. I tried to land in Flytampa Boston and it was a stutter fest.

Edited by JasonPC
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, JasonPC said:

[...]

Autopilot still has some issues over shooting altitude restrictions. People complain about having to deploy speed brake on descent. But apparently this is realistic behavior in the 757.

[...]

For all I know, it is indeed realistic behavior. While I'm not a 757 pilot (or any other kind of pilot), I've read numerous accounts of RW 757 pilots stating that the 757 is a very slippery aircraft that requires proper descent planning.

I for one will definitely get the 757 at this sale! Been pining for a short to medium haul cargo liner for months now. Glad I waited to see if there'd be a sale. I can only hope they will release the freighter expansion pack soon, but it seems to me that they are wanting to push out one final SP for the base packages before they do so.

Share this post


Link to post

What about the Rolls Royce expansion pack? Is that also discounted in this sale?

Share this post


Link to post

Right now, the airplane has big issues with proper EPR settings and VNAV issues.  It's frustrating.  I attempted a flight with the new build, EWR-LIS at almost max weight.  I was over 40NM from EWR just passing 10,000' and only getting an 800' climb rate - I actually terminated that flight.

Also, if you try to use a flex temp, the airplane is way under powered, take-off roll is way too excess.

I'm getting a bit peeved because this issue has been ongoing and every time they say it's fixed w/ a hot fix, the hot fixes never work.

Edited by Dreamflight767

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

What about the Rolls Royce expansion pack? Is that also discounted in this sale?

Usually it’s their full packages that are on sale and excludes the expansions pack but who knows. If it’s not included it will be a $5 difference for the Rolls Royce engines. 

At regular price it’s $105.69  and during the sale $50 to $55.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Right now, the airplane has big issues with proper EPR settings and VNAV issues.  It's frustrating.  I attempted a flight with the new build, EWR-LIS at almost max weight.  I was over 40NM from EWR just passing 10,000' and only getting an 800' climb rate.

Also, if you try to use a flex temp, the airplane is way under powered, take-off roll is way too excess.

I'm getting a bit peeved because this issue has been ongoing and every time they say it's fixed w/ a hot fix, the hot fixes never work.

Out of curiosity have you tried that new beta update? I saw it mentioned on FSElite a few days ago. Supposedly an 'official' update will be released soon as well. It seems focused on the EPR issues.

Share this post


Link to post

Version 1.3 with a number of fixes/changes should be out before the end of this year, according to the CS team.

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post

I'll have to try the beta update. There was also major problems with properly trimming the plane at takeoff. The indicated trim value in the fms is not right resulting in a very scary unstable takeoff. My workaround was to make sure the plane is trimmed for extra nose up. Not ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Out of curiosity have you tried that new beta update? I saw it mentioned on FSElite a few days ago. Supposedly an 'official' update will be released soon as well. It seems focused on the EPR issues.

So the beta mentioned on FSElite was .207.  We are up to .209 which is only available via their forums.  Beta .207 was the fix that had the major EPR/climb issues.  I'm trying .209 right now which is the fix to .207 which was the fix to .200.

Share this post


Link to post

Aaron, would like to see what you think about fix .209.  I've been eyeing this airplane for a while, hesitant because of the bugs.  

Dave

Share this post


Link to post

Ironically, I would not be flying the aircraft any time soon because I am still using P3D v3.4. However, I am hoping to upgrade to 64bit flight simulation in 2019, so getting the P3D v3 version of the plane would be stupid. I could wait, but a price cut from $75 to $25 is hard to ignore. Maybe those "EPR issues" will have been resolved by the time I get to fly the plane? :smile:

The reason I am waiting to upgrade to 64bit flight is because my current PC would not do it justice. I don't want to waste my time and money having to fly around at medium settings (which is probably what I would have to do in P3D v4 with an i5 4690k/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GTX 770 powered system), so I prefer to hang on until I win the lottery (preferably tonight's £15 million SuperDraw) :wink:

Having said that, I do actually have P3D v4 installed (currently for beta testing purposes only)......

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, SAX702 said:

Aaron, would like to see what you think about fix .209.  I've been eyeing this airplane for a while, hesitant because of the bugs.  

Dave

I'll keep you posted within a few hours.  Don't get me wrong, besides the issues with VNAV and EPR, it's a great & fun airplane.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello:

I just tried .209.  GGOV-LPPT.  Two issues.

-Unable to enter a flex temp.

-I advanced throttles, hit MCP EPR button.  EPR engages, engines spool up.  However, during take-off roll, EPR disengages and throttles/engines spool up to N1 102% and I receive ECAM messages.

Only during climb can I re-engage EPR/VNAV and engines spool back down to proper settings.

The climb issues appears to be fixed.

As a follow-up to my previous post, A/C is heavy on frames.  Leaving EWR yesterday I was only getting 10 FPS.  I was using ORBX stuff, WX, and add-on EWR scenery, including AI traffic.

VNAVs biggest issue is during decent.  A/C would frequently pitch down at 4,000' per min and get you to your restriction miles and miles before.  I'm still on my way to LPPT so I'll check out VNAV as I get closer.

I noticed that the VNAV issue was worst if you tried to change a STAR.

Share this post


Link to post

Right, so CaptainSim need to sort out the "EPR disengage" and "VNAV during descent" issues before I start using the plane. Can someone please let them know the calibre of customer that they need to satisfy? :laugh:

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Hello:

I just tried .209.  GGOV-LPPT.  Two issues.

-Unable to enter a flex temp.

-I advanced throttles, hit MCP EPR button.  EPR engages, engines spool up.  However, during take-off roll, EPR disengages and throttles/engines spool up to N1 102% and I receive ECAM messages.

Only during climb can I re-engage EPR/VNAV and engines spool back down to proper settings.

The climb issues appears to be fixed.

As a follow-up to my previous post, A/C is heavy on frames.  Leaving EWR yesterday I was only getting 10 FPS.  I was using ORBX stuff, WX, and add-on EWR scenery, including AI traffic.

VNAVs biggest issue is during decent.  A/C would frequently pitch down at 4,000' per min and get you to your restriction miles and miles before.  I'm still on my way to LPPT so I'll check out VNAV as I get closer.

I noticed that the VNAV issue was worst if you tried to change a STAR.

What about the trim at takeoff issue and climb thrust being rated higher than takeoff thrust? Also, F/D not properly commanding V2+15/20 after takeoff until accel height? Are these fixed? I find the first climb segments to be pretty messy.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, threegreen said:

What about the trim at takeoff issue and climb thrust being rated higher than takeoff thrust? Also, F/D not properly commanding V2+15/20 after takeoff until accel height? Are these fixed? I find the first climb segments to be pretty messy.

Trim is by default set under the rating and so if you don't set it (or forget it) you'll have a t/o config alarm ringing. At least that's what I saw the only time I tested it.

 

Honestly for 25 bucks it's more than ok, but not for the usual 85. It looks great and although it might never get fully fixed it's very fun. I'll go for it. Hard to see that all the good things are coming this weekend. (MAddox 83/88, CS757 sale) What's next, PMDG 50% sale???:laugh:

My wallet will be more than empty next year...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, threegreen said:

What about the trim at takeoff issue and climb thrust being rated higher than takeoff thrust? Also, F/D not properly commanding V2+15/20 after takeoff until accel height? Are these fixed? I find the first climb segments to be pretty messy.

Honestly, I got distracted with the EPR issue and the ECAM messages from the thrust settings, I didn't notice those concerns.  I'm not too sure I'd be a good judge of those either as I'm not familiar with those functions/systems.  So if they were not operating as they should, I didn't really notice.  Sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

Trim is by default set under the rating and so if you don't set it (or forget it) you'll have a t/o config alarm ringing. At least that's what I saw the only time I tested it.

 

Honestly for 25 bucks it's more than ok, but not for the usual 85. It looks great and although it might never get fully fixed it's very fun. I'll go for it. Hard to see that all the good things are coming this weekend. (MAddox 83/88, CS757 sale) What's next, PMDG 50% sale???:laugh:

My wallet will be more than empty next year...

I too am scared that it won't ever be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

What's next, PMDG 50% sale???:laugh:

That's one of those "when pigs fly" statements!😁

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Honestly, I got distracted with the EPR issue and the ECAM messages from the thrust settings, I didn't notice those concerns.  I'm not too sure I'd be a good judge of those either as I'm not familiar with those functions/systems.  So if they were not operating as they should, I didn't really notice.  Sorry!

No worries. I'm sure you would have noticed if these things didn't work right. Stab trim being all over the place when set to the value the CDU calculated, F/D directing a pitch at which the aircraft will accelerate substantially instead of maintaining V2+15-20 and climb thrust being rated higher than takeoff thrust. Plus, I struggle to find a reasonable thrust reduction for takeoff. Using flex temp/derate or both calculated by TOPCAT brings me horrendously close to overrunning the runway and triggers all kinds of terrain warnings which is why I think they may have gotten their data wrong. Thus, takeoff and the first climb segments become messy and really stressful. These are the bugs that still keep me from thoroughly enjoying this bird which is otherwise fantastic.

Hopefully 1.3 will iron out most (all?) of that.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, threegreen said:

No worries. I'm sure you would have noticed if these things didn't work right. Stab trim being all over the place when set to the value the CDU calculated, F/D directing a pitch at which the aircraft will accelerate substantially instead of maintaining V2+15-20 and climb thrust being rated higher than takeoff thrust. Plus, I struggle to find a reasonable thrust reduction for takeoff. Using flex temp/derate or both calculated by TOPCAT brings me horrendously close to overrunning the runway and triggers all kinds of terrain warnings which is why I think they may have gotten their data wrong. Thus, takeoff and the first climb segments become messy and really stressful. These are the bugs that still keep me from thoroughly enjoying this bird which is otherwise fantastic.

Hopefully 1.3 will iron out most (all?) of that.

I completely agree with your statement about the RWY overrun.  That happened to me when I tried a flex out of PHKO.  I didn't notice the trim issues.  I set the trim the CDU computes but didn't notice it pitch issue.  I'm almost in LPPT so I'll do a test flight after this one. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now