ideoplastic

Desktop Speakers

Recommended Posts

Looking to buy desktop speakers for P3D of reasonable good quality. Would appreciate your feedback/recommendations that are available in the UK market. Primary role for the speakers is to reproduce as accurately as possible various aircraft sounds.

 

regards

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Don't know about the UK, but I'm using the Bose Companion 2 Series III.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello Joaquin,

I do not know if this is an aternative or not but I offer it as an alternative.

About four years ago, I fell into a pawn shop in Australia and found an old LEAK (British) amplifier,  I think about 50 watts RMS and haggled the price down to AUD7.00. A Friend of mine was also selling some KEF Cadensa (American?) 10 inch speakers (good quality) and I bought them for AUD15.00. I then mounted the speakers under my desk and the amplifier under my main screen, plugged the amp into the green slot of the computer rear audio panel and fired it up.

For a total of AUD22.00 four years ago I have incredible audio and it has luckily been absolutely trouble free.

It was so good that I added a music video folder and downloaded a fair collection of my favourite songs and I listen to them (at considerabe volume) when I am not flying.

So just a suggestion for you and others who may consider going down this route. I consider the sound a far better quality and it can be a cheaper proposition than a mid range desktop speaker set.

I am just wondering now that I have mentioned this, do many other simmers use this system?

Another suggestion may be the purchase of a good quality sound card and  the headphones.  Not as cheap but I would suggest that this would be the most popular set up.

Let us know how you fare

Regards

Tony

Share this post


Link to post

Klipsch is an obvious contender but unfortunately unable to find one here, Amazon used to sell  the 2.1 but no longer available. Shame.

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever you get, if you really want to simulate aircraft sounds you'll want a subwoofer under the desk as well as desktop speakers. You need to hear that low THUNK when the tires hit the runway in a light GA aircraft. The "crack and boom" of lightning in a thunderstorm doesn't sound right without a sub either. It's a physical sensation with a good sub that complements whatever the main speakers are doing.

Or go with headphones and optional subwoofer just for the physical vibration in your chest. If VR is the future, that's what we'll all be using anyway. 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Looking to buy desktop speakers for P3D of reasonable good quality. Would appreciate your feedback/recommendations that are available in the UK market. Primary role for the speakers is to reproduce as accurately as possible various aircraft sounds.

 

regards

Funny you ask--I bought a pair of Bluetooth speakers at Family Dollar for 30 bucks.  If your rig has Bluetooth (mine came with it), the wireless speakers are great because you can position them just right to get great stereo sound, theater quality, at a very cheap price.  Any Bluetooth speakers priced around this price would work.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers singlehandedly raised the bar on what is defined as exceptional sound from a computer audio system. Dual horn-loaded satellite speakers and a robust subwoofer deliver room-filling, crystal-clear acoustics that takes your games, movies and music to the next level.

Features:

  • Three-piece computer audio system
  • Exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn Technology
  • 200-Watt Digital Hybrid Amplifier
  • Headphone Jack and Miniplug Input
  • 31 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response range

ProMedia-3-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

an old LEAK (British) amplifier,

What nostalgic memories. My very first adventure into hi-fi. A quality amp built to last when Thorn Electronics produced quality parts.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

KEF Cadensa

Another nostalgic masterpiece.

Fab combo. Lucky you finding them in that pawn shop.

Share this post


Link to post

Rick,

Not the same shop mate.  the Leak came from a pawn shop and the Kef speakers came from a mate.

None the less, an incredible combination and for just AUD22.00. Unbelievable.

By the way, I am currently looking for a Akai M9 Reel to Reel tape recorder and a good quality record turntable, obviously second hand, but new would be nice LOL.  This would be for a dedicated music room with already acquired 2 x JBL 12 inch speakers, 2 x JBL 10 inch speakers and 2 x non descript 10 inch speakers with a JBL 10 subwoofer. At this time, I cannot locate 2 x wharfdale speakers or even some electostatic speakers, but I am looking. I am currently running a Pioneer 7.1 channel amp with this system but not really happy with it.

Yes ... nostalgia reigns supreme in this household LOL

I think I may be going overboard with my wish list here but all these components have been second hand, trouble free and incredibly cheap (important as an aged pensioner)  I literally spend hours in pawn shops whilst in Australia and have come up with some incredible bargains.

Regards

Tony

 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Rick,

Not the same shop mate.  the Leak came from a pawn shop and the Kef speakers came from a mate.

None the less, an incredible combination and for just AUD22.00. Unbelievable.

By the way, I am currently looking for a Akai M9 Reel to Reel tape recorder and a good quality record turntable, obviously second hand, but new would be nice LOL.  This would be for a dedicated music room with already acquired 2 x JBL 12 inch speakers, 2 x JBL 10 inch speakers and 2 x non descript 10 inch speakers with a JBL 10 subwoofer. At this time, I cannot locate 2 x wharfdale speakers or even some electostatic speakers, but I am looking. I am currently running a Pioneer 7.1 channel amp with this system but not really happy with it.

Yes ... nostalgia reigns supreme in this household LOL

I think I may be going overboard with my wish list here but all these components have been second hand, trouble free and incredibly cheap (important as an aged pensioner)  I literally spend hours in pawn shops whilst in Australia and have come up with some incredible bargains.

Regards

Tony

 

Tony, AFAIK, Akai, whose products were so widely available here at hi-fi stores in the UK at one time, have long bitten the dust.  I used to have one of their cassette-decks. One of the first with auto-reverse, a GRX-88.

For reel-to-reel, see if you can lay your hands, 2nd hand most likely on the excellent 7-inch reels Sony TC-377 which I bought in 1969 and to date still plays recorded tape reels, or ReVox machines, the brand leader in broadcasting studios, such as the A77 or later B77 models. They are full size reels.

Share this post


Link to post

Rick,

Akai, as you have mentioned, are long gone. However, there are still some examples of the4 M8.9 and 10 still around. I do have a Harmon Kardon cassette Player and numerous CD players. Sony, Revox,  Ampex are all still in the second hand market and all (if in good condition) are well worth consideration.  However, there is just something about the Akai which attracts me and it was, in fact, the best in its day.

The point remains however, that it is all nostalgia and any hopes of buying new are pipe dreams.

 I still have memories of my old system (late 60s) of Akai M8, Sansui AU999, Wharfdale speakers with a forgotten brand turntable with an empire cartridge.

Unbelievable quality even by todays standards if you don't take into account surround sound and digital technology.

Such is life as a pensioner ... lots of dreams and memories.

Perhaps now we should return to the topic

Regards

Tony

Share this post


Link to post

I use Bose Companion 20 multimedia speakers which my wife bought for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. They are not cheap but Bose here in the U.K. are currently selling them at a reduced price of £179.95 (normally £199.95) and IMO they are worth it as I am very pleased indeed with the quality of the aircraft sounds they reproduce. For me, good quality sound reproduction is absolutely essential as it adds considerably to the the immersive experience. These Bose speakers certainly allow that and, providing the aircraft itself has a good quality sound set, very realistic reproduction of the different phases of piston, turboprop and jet engine sounds can be achieved. As an added bonus they are relatively compact!

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Sansui AU999

That does evoke memories

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

empire cartridge.

same

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Such is life as a pensioner ... lots of dreams and memories.

And that says it all...................sigh

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scianoir said:

I use Bose Companion 20 multimedia speakers which my wife bought for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. They are not cheap but Bose here in the U.K. are currently selling them at a reduced price of £179.95 (normally £199.95) and IMO they are worth it as I am very pleased indeed with the quality of the aircraft sounds they reproduce. For me, good quality sound reproduction is absolutely essential as it adds considerably to the the immersive experience. These Bose speakers certainly allow that and, providing the aircraft itself has a good quality sound set, very realistic reproduction of the different phases of piston, turboprop and jet engine sounds can be achieved. As an added bonus they are relatively compact!

Bill

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards

 

Hi Joaquin,

When I first saw them, because of their relatively compact size and the fact that they had no subwoofer and no treble or bass adjustment, I did wonder how well they would handle bass but I have been impressed by the powerful bass sounds which they reproduce - certainly to my aging ears it seems very good but as they are relatively expensive it may be sensible to get more opinions than just mine!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

Hi Bill, Had a look at them but they don't have a sub-woofer. Based on your experience do they handle low bass OK?

regards

 

I have Bose Companion 2 series III speakers for just under £100 if i recall - they do not have or need a subwoofer.

I have had several desktop sets over the years and am somewhat of an audiophile (i spend thousands on my HiFi!). Trust me when i say that you do not need a subwoofer with quality 2.0 speakers. Generally they are used by PC peripheral manufacturers to make up for the poor low-frequency quality of cheap desktop speakers and they simply cause vibration and muffled sound. Bose have put the investment into getting the speakers right in the first place. You have to recognise that you are sitting up close to the speakers so will never get an optimum audio experience.

If you do want a subwoofer, i think you would definately need to spend a lot more than £100 to ensure quality. But eitherway, do not think they are necessarily a requirement.

Also - the tidier wiring and lack of space take-up is refreshing!

Share this post


Link to post

I think I'd be tempted to scour Ebay. There are always some fantastic bargains in electricals, more so than anything else I've found. But as was said earlier, make sure you have a subwoofer, it will make all the difference 😉

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... But as was said earlier, make sure you have a subwoofer, it will make all the difference 😉

I could not agree with you more, the subwoofer makes the sounds robust and 'come alive'.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

I could not agree with you more, the subwoofer makes the sounds robust and 'come alive'.

What I did last year was to get myself a transducer (sub woofer) for £45, get a splitter cable for the sound and split the sound through to an old amp I had, yanked down the treble, yanked up the bass and screwed the transducer into the base of the seat and WOW! Talk about immersion. It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

Totally agree with you, Rock. This is not acoustic jazz we are talking about, it is aircraft sounds lol... engines, switches, flaps, landing gear, auditory alerts & whatnot, etc. Yes, immersion and a robust sound is what makes us feel like we are sitting in the cockpit and, for that, audiophile-quality speakers are not critical. For acoustic jazz & our music library in general: Yes, you bet, I sure as _hit have a 'serious', kick-a_s system & set of speakers down in the Living Room. 😉😎

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I use an 800 watt per channel amp and two 15" speakers from a recycled Conn Artiste organ console. It's kind of L O U D!

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I use an 800 watt per channel amp and two 15" speakers from a recycled Conn Artiste organ console. It's kind of L O U D!

So that is for your vehicle, what do you use at home, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

So that is for your vehicle, what do you use at home, lol!

The speaker cabinets are made from solid wood and between the two of 'em are nearly as big as my car.  :ohmy:

No, I have them under the very long desk in my sim/library/music room. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

What I did last year was to get myself a transducer (sub woofer) for £45, get a splitter cable for the sound and split the sound through to an old amp I had, yanked down the treble, yanked up the bass and screwed the transducer into the base of the seat and WOW! Talk about immersion. It REAAAALLY adds to the immersion. I certainly wasn't going to pay £250 for a ButtKicker, even though the effect may have been a slightly improved. Result(?) 😊

I like that idea!

Extending the DIY bass kicker approach, it would probably help immersion to screw a transducer to the underside of my computer desk, so I would feel vibration through the HOTAS flight controls too. And then, another transducer for the pedals on the floor. Gotta keep everything in sync. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now