paulyg123

What is best add-on airport?

If you had to vote on one (must have) add-on airport in the USA, which would you choose on the basis of detail?  I want to make a video to show my pilot friend and I want to "wow" him on the level of detail out there.   

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Best...?? WOW, that is a tough one for sure....😱

I guess for me personally it would be one of the Flightbeam offerings, probably KIAD or KPHX, but i'm probably biased because I have a real world connection to both airports...

Should be interesting to hear the responses to this one, it's going to be really difficult IMHO to choose a single "best" USA airport, there are so many great ones, it's an almost impossible choice.... 😉

Where does your friend live? Perhaps the nearest or nearby airport that he/she is familiar with would be good (if there is a good rendition that is).

Hard to choose, so many great ones. I'll go with Flightbeam KMSP.

I’ll say it Flightbeam is the best. If anyone disagrees I challenge you to a duel to the death.  Western approach or departure from KDEN is nice.

Some of the ORBX airports are nice as well especially if u have the associated region to go with it.  

I used  to live in NYC so to me JFK was and still is a fantastic airport both from ease of takeoffs and approaches - and, of course,  the high volume of traffic.  Plus the amazing architecture of the terminals...  

He is a 767 pilot so I am looking for a major airport in the US to do video

Posted (edited)

As your firends is liners/big airport oriented Flightbeam KSFO HD. Period. Second choice for the surrounding is Orbx Palm Springs. And a smile because it’s really personnal taste🙂

Edited by vbazillio
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

on the basis of detail?

no one has mentioned T2G Seattle or FB's KPDX ... both are complete with "flying" detail (not only autodock for AI & user, but "conditional" daytime low visibility airfield (runway / approach) lighting.

name me another & i'll buy it.

2 minutes ago, vadriver said:

FB's KPDX

I own KFSO and KPDX both from FB and knowing the two, I thing KSFO is much impressive regarding the initial objective of paulyg123

I think SFO for me, althogh I’ve never been there for real. 

Posted (edited)

Finger trouble, disregard 

Edited by Airline2Sim

I can't choose just one as there are a handful of fantastic US sceneries available and it depends on personal taste.

That said, my faves are Flightbeam's KMSP and KSFO, plus FlyTampa's KBOS (with Aerosoft's US Cities-Boston in the background). They're truly excellent and all have an incredible amount of extra detail to show off.

KPDX and KGPI is  on the top of my  list, where in  Europe ESSA, EDDN and LOWI giving the most realistic feeling.

Posted (edited)

As someone who lives nearby and has been there often I can vouch for Aerosoft's EDDK being a real good offering.

Edited by Farlis

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

As someone who lives nearby and has been there often I can vouch for Aerosoft's EDDK being a real good offering.

That indeed is the best en most realistic airport (yet) made by Jo Erlend Sund and sold by AS 🤓

But make up your own opinion :

My favorite however is FT Amsterdam...😎

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Airline2Sim said:

I think SFO for me, althogh I’ve never been there for real. 

I grew up around SFO. .Mir has captured the airport down to the mood. Yeah, it's a moody airport.  Heck, I think Mir lives nearby SFO  ...I get the sense he as personal connection to the strip.

Unsolicted ...but,  I was at the opening of the AA hangar as a young boy ....inside was a brand new AA 747 .....yeah, we got the tour. Fond memories.

Edit: to the OP.

If doing KSFO make sure you're closer to 100' than 50' when crossing the rocks at the foot of the 28's. 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty

29 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Edit: to the OP.

If doing KSFO make sure you're closer to 100' than 50' when crossing the rocks at the foot of the 28's. 🙂

Good advice. I expect the winds can get unpredictable and pretty squirrelly on those approaches, especially if you are running a real world weather engine like AS4 etc...

Wasn't it 28L where the Asiana 777 crashed just short of the runway threshold a few years back..??

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Good advice. I expect the winds can get unpredictable and pretty squirrelly on those approaches, especially if you are running a real world weather engine like AS4 etc...

Wasn't it 28L where the Asiana 777 crashed just short of the runway threshold a few years back..??

Yeah it was ..28 right was closed.

True: My wife, daughter and I were scheduled to check in at the Marriott, across the logon from the 28's,  just  hours before that happened ....It was our (my :-)) bi annual plane spotting date to the Marriott. Wife and daughter didn't care about plane spotting but entertained me as long as the weekend included Union Square in SF

Edit: to be clear ...I wasn't referencing the Asiana incident but rather the crash bug that can happen on approaches over water with P3D.

Edited by FunknNasty
  • Upvote 1

I believe i have every quality payware scenery for airports with runways at least 7000ft long, and I'd say FlyTampa Boston.

Don't forget the terrific freeware airports like SunSkyJet's Philadelphia (KPHL).

Best wishes to you and your friend!

Personally I’d pick FlyTampa Boston anytime. That scenery is not just detailed in the ground, the approach is amazing. I have no idea how to hey did it, but the runways appear utterly photorealistic to me. They are slightly hazy and sun bleached, exactly what I see on photographs and videos of approaches into KBOS. Not to mention the stunning quality when taxing around. Love it. Just wish it’d be easier on my computer!

• Upvote 1

I love flying into/out KIAD. Both it and KSFO are some of the best and amazing bar none 

• Upvote 1

Flightbeam's KMSP, KSFO, KIAD and KDEN in that order are my favorites. I'd probably put KSFO at the top, except that KMSP is my home airport so I tend to spend more time with it. KDEN is older and doesn't have the SODE jetways, but I think they're coming in a future update. They did a good job of simulating the annoyance at the forever-taxis that happen at that airport.

KPDX is very good also, though it's new and there are still some kinks to be worked out. I'm still trying to get the trees and buildings surrounding the airport out of the river, and you must turn collisions completely off if you use that airport because the taxiway lights all have hit-boxes. I'm sure those will be fixed in the future.

These add-on airports are so good that I get almost annoyed flying into a default airport now.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, SunDevil56 said:

KPHX  can have some serious attitude during the summer months, no?  🙂  Place is brutal!