Colonel X

Extended night lights are here, finally.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Note that each state or country uses its own scenery folder, which means you'll end up with a whole friggin' lot of folders.

I'm still waiting for the global, "all in one folder" release.

X-Plane is that thing where Ben and Austin explain for years why some feature is not feasible because it would require too much time, too much money, too much performance degradation, until some day a single developer publishes that very feature freeware and with no performance impact. 😁

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I see an app on Org store called MVP Real Lights, wondering if I should buy it to use with Extd lights. Anybody using Real Lights, and worth buying ?

Posted (edited)

This Extended-Thing has been done by only one man :blink: , really ????

Laminar should hire him immediately !

Edited by KBUR
word not allowed it; we need a german spoken version of avsim.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KBUR said:

This Extended-Thing has been done by only one man :blink: , really ????

Laminar should hire him immediately !

Sure, for the future perhaps. Remember that XP11 is still distributed on 8 physical disks as an option, and they're already crammed full with data. It sounds like this requires extra files, and nothing like that will make it into the XP11 distribution. It might be the reason we haven't seen a Laminar version of extended night lighting to this extent yet (although there has been progress).

Maybe they'll incorporate something like this for XP12, which I suspect will be the first version that is digital download only.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Note that each state or country uses its own scenery folder, which means you'll end up with a whole friggin' lot of folders.

I'm still waiting for the global, "all in one folder" release.

8 years of waiting for this and you complain about having folders?

X-Plane%202019-03-09%2023-03-30.png?raw=

X-Plane%202019-03-10%2000-52-47.png?raw=

X-Plane%202019-03-10%2001-43-22.png?raw=

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

X-Plane%202019-03-09%2023-03-30.png?raw=

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but aren't those distant lights a little too bright?

The Inverse square law should attenuate lights in the distance compared to those seen closer to the plane. when they're the same type of lighting. This looks amazing in a Hollywood movie SFX sense, but I'm not sure those distant lights should be that bright. 

Yes, the attentuation is a variable yet to be finetuned by me using X-Vision.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Absolutely.

- Edit:

Just to clarify...it's not the folders themselves irking me, but the crass inefficiency of the author's "one package per country" approach. If you have a scenery tile that contains a political border between three countries, that scenery tile's DSF file will be present thrice. And there is no way to overwrite one DSF file with another as each copy of said file only contains the night lights for ONE of those three countries. So in effect, you will have to keep three copies of the same file in three different layers, cluttering the "Custom Scenery" folder and wasting hard drive space.

Case in point: Europe alone requires four layers. Can't determine how many MB of disk space that wastes because I always screw up trying to merge all those folders at one point, overwriting files that must not be overwritten.

Edited by Bjoern

On 3/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, Bjoern said:

Just to clarify...it's not the folders themselves irking me, but the crass inefficiency of the author's "one package per country" approach

In the states, it's even more interesting. From any point in my home state, at 2,000' I can see at least 2 other states easily.

I very much appreciate the work that went into the scenery, and have no idea how it was made - but a more regional packaging method may have been more efficient, considering most people downloading would probably not opt for just a single country or state.

Like others, I hesitate to look a gift horse in the mouth. This scenery enhancement's mere existence outweighs any "woulda coulda shoulda" commentary, but if ever there's a v2.0, perhaps this can be considered the next time around.

This is a pretty awesome mod.  The best part is that it drowns far away airports in city lights so it's difficult to find them (like real world).  Now if someone could figure out how to tone down the taxiway and taxiway centerline lighting we'd be in great shape!

lightsmod.jpg

I took me 10min to setup and configure, no complaints here and there should be none...really??, having many folders is not an issue now days, we aren't limited to HD space like we used to.

Awesome mod indeed!!!

• Like 1

By the looks of it, these are just simple World2XPlane packages that add streetlights only around roads. In fact, it's probably already built into any scenery package that uses it already e.g. xEurope2. It's a nice feature to have otherwise to extend the default autogen, but I'm sure LR had a good reason not to have this extended already. They likely come in small country packages because creating one for all of Europe or the US would be quite a painful process

21 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I took me 10min to setup and configure, no complaints here and there should be none...really??, having many folders is not an issue now days, we aren't limited to HD space like we used to.

Awesome mod indeed!!!

Agreed, and freeware!

20 hours ago, tonywob said:

By the looks of it, these are just simple World2XPlane packages that add streetlights only around roads. In fact, it's probably already built into any scenery package that uses it already e.g. xEurope2. It's a nice feature to have otherwise to extend the default autogen, but I'm sure LR had a good reason not to have this extended already.

Well, one reason might be that it looks artificial and unrealistic, with the lights so bright in the distance. Real night lighting in CAVOK conditions is attenuated with distance (inverse square law), and doesn't look like this. 

Has anyone figured out how to dim the distant lights in this package yet? 

The default XP11 night lighting doesn't look this sexy, and I don't think it's extended this far, even with the recent upgrades. But it does include fall-off with distance, so it looks less like a movie set.

X-Vision lets you adjust the attentuation of distant lights, but I haven't tested it.

Kind of ironic that after years of not enough lighting, NOW WE HAVE TOO MUCH!!!

Yes, I think there are specific XP datarefs that determine close/med/distant lights attenuation.

"X-Plane 11\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites\lightx.txt" contains a section called "lights size and decay". The line "LIGHT_PARAMS" is commented out, but looks like a global setting that controls light attenuation. Might be worth playing with.

13 hours ago, Bjoern said:

"X-Plane 11\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites\lightx.txt" contains a section called "lights size and decay". The line "LIGHT_PARAMS" is commented out, but looks like a global setting that controls light attenuation. Might be worth playing with.

I wouldn't mess with that. Install the lights.txt by Tom Knudsen ("TK Light Mod") and lights are fantastic. Then use datarefs, as Murmur stated, or the sliders within X-Vision (a UI for the datarefs) to work out light visibility.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

I wouldn't mess with that. Install the lights.txt by Tom Knudsen ("TK Light Mod") and lights are fantastic. Then use datarefs, as Murmur stated, or the sliders within X-Vision (a UI for the datarefs) to work out light visibility.

Just be aware, if you mess with the lights in xVision, it overrides the lights.txt thus removing the effect of TK Light.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Just be aware, if you mess with the lights in xVision, it overrides the lights.txt thus removing the effect of TK Light.

I am aware of this and usually overwrite the lights.txt after I apply X-Vision. However, it really depends - it only overwrites it if you mess with lights in X-Vision. I always check the change date of the lights.txt file, and often, it's untouched after using X-Vision. 

Let's assume the light attentuation feature within X-Vision connects to X-Plane datarefs (I am not sure as I haven't tested), maybe the lights.txt remains untouched by this setting?

Edited by Colonel X