Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Extended night lights are here, finally.

After all these years, some guy just did it. Free, flawless, no performance impact. TK light mod also very recommended.

Europe:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/50130-extended-night-lighting-europe-edition/

US:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/50456-extended-night-lighting-north-america/

• Like 5

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Note that each state or country uses its own scenery folder, which means you'll end up with a whole friggin' lot of folders.

I'm still waiting for the global, "all in one folder" release.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

X-Plane is that thing where Ben and Austin explain for years why some feature is not feasible because it would require too much time, too much money, too much performance degradation, until some day a single developer publishes that very feature freeware and with no performance impact. 😁

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I see an app on Org store called MVP Real Lights, wondering if I should buy it to use with Extd lights. Anybody using Real Lights, and worth buying ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This Extended-Thing has been done by only one man :blink: , really ????

Laminar should hire him immediately !

Edited by KBUR
word not allowed it; we need a german spoken version of avsim.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KBUR said:

This Extended-Thing has been done by only one man :blink: , really ????

Laminar should hire him immediately !

Sure, for the future perhaps. Remember that XP11 is still distributed on 8 physical disks as an option, and they're already crammed full with data. It sounds like this requires extra files, and nothing like that will make it into the XP11 distribution. It might be the reason we haven't seen a Laminar version of extended night lighting to this extent yet (although there has been progress).

Maybe they'll incorporate something like this for XP12, which I suspect will be the first version that is digital download only.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

12 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Note that each state or country uses its own scenery folder, which means you'll end up with a whole friggin' lot of folders.

I'm still waiting for the global, "all in one folder" release.

8 years of waiting for this and you complain about having folders?

X-Plane%202019-03-09%2023-03-30.png?raw=

X-Plane%202019-03-10%2000-52-47.png?raw=

X-Plane%202019-03-10%2001-43-22.png?raw=

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

-

3 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

X-Plane%202019-03-09%2023-03-30.png?raw=

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but aren't those distant lights a little too bright?

The Inverse square law should attenuate lights in the distance compared to those seen closer to the plane. when they're the same type of lighting. This looks amazing in a Hollywood movie SFX sense, but I'm not sure those distant lights should be that bright. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yes, the attentuation is a variable yet to be finetuned by me using X-Vision.

-

15 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Absolutely.

- Edit:

Just to clarify...it's not the folders themselves irking me, but the crass inefficiency of the author's "one package per country" approach. If you have a scenery tile that contains a political border between three countries, that scenery tile's DSF file will be present thrice. And there is no way to overwrite one DSF file with another as each copy of said file only contains the night lights for ONE of those three countries. So in effect, you will have to keep three copies of the same file in three different layers, cluttering the "Custom Scenery" folder and wasting hard drive space.

Case in point: Europe alone requires four layers. Can't determine how many MB of disk space that wastes because I always screw up trying to merge all those folders at one point, overwriting files that must not be overwritten.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Its free, nuff said.

• Like 2

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

On 3/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, Bjoern said:

Just to clarify...it's not the folders themselves irking me, but the crass inefficiency of the author's "one package per country" approach

In the states, it's even more interesting. From any point in my home state, at 2,000' I can see at least 2 other states easily.

I very much appreciate the work that went into the scenery, and have no idea how it was made - but a more regional packaging method may have been more efficient, considering most people downloading would probably not opt for just a single country or state.

Like others, I hesitate to look a gift horse in the mouth. This scenery enhancement's mere existence outweighs any "woulda coulda shoulda" commentary, but if ever there's a v2.0, perhaps this can be considered the next time around.

This is a pretty awesome mod.  The best part is that it drowns far away airports in city lights so it's difficult to find them (like real world).  Now if someone could figure out how to tone down the taxiway and taxiway centerline lighting we'd be in great shape!

lightsmod.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I took me 10min to setup and configure, no complaints here and there should be none...really??, having many folders is not an issue now days, we aren't limited to HD space like we used to.

Awesome mod indeed!!!

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo