Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TravelRunner404

Frustrated with Setting Monitor to 30hz - An Alternative...

24 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

This would work, but the reasoning is not correct.. if you look at the documentation (just mouse over the value) you will find that the value set for scanline sync refers to the vertical location of the tearline on the screen, not the refresh rate.. :wink:

Ah ... I begin to understand. Thank you.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

On 6/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, Bert Pieke said:

I use the Scanline Sync X/2 option in RTSS, with Vsync off in P3D, and FFTF Dynamic.

Bert, my monitors can do 30 hertz and I was wondering if this approach might help keeping the Sim smooth when the framerate drops to 25-26...

Currently : Unlimited / Vsync On / TB off / monitors @ 30 hertz / FFTF Dynamic 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

My 2 cents.

VSync is typically good for a narrow Hz range and will give a sudden jerk when the frame rate drops below or above, for example my 30 Hz screen mode range is 29 to 31 Hz meaning I'll experience a sudden jerk when VSync drops out due to the fps either increasing above 31 fps or dropping below 29 fps, although having triple buffering enabled does help smooth the bumps out.

The best way I've found to counteract is to have enough headroom in processing power so that the frame rate is able to stay in the band of VSync, but with P3D that is difficult to achive once a few enhancements have been added.

I also use RTSS and a 60 Hz mode, but apply it a little differently in that I also use a few NVidia Inspector settings.

With RTSS I use both the framerate limiter (@ 31) to help curb excessively high fps jumps and Scanline sync/2 to control the fps @ ~30. It's not quite as smooth as a 30 Hz screen mode though and to help smooth it I use the NI settings of...

• Maximum pre-rendered frames = 6
  • Maximun frames allowed = 0x00000006
  • SlikSmoothness = 0x00000003

For myself the above settings are nice and smooth and still responsive, plus with RTSS I can quickly enable / disable Scanline sync x/2 with just a mouse click while flying should I happen into an area where the fps are going to drop down below the VSync mark.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

i spent 3 hours yesterday trying to get this to work with the fsl 320...no luck.  Its no wonder the xplane kids laugh at us for faffing with all this gash every update 

14ppkc-6.png

6 hours ago, GSalden said:

Bert, my monitors can do 30 hertz and I was wondering if this approach might help keeping the Sim smooth when the framerate drops to 25-26...

Currently : Unlimited / Vsync On / TB off / monitors @ 30 hertz / FFTF Dynamic 

I have absolutely no idea.. but what keeps you from trying it and reporting back? :cool:

Bert

Wil take some days. I tore my right hamstring last tuesday so sitting in my cockpit is currently not possible ...

Will try it in a few weeks.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 hours ago, Rogen said:

With RTSS I use both the framerate limiter (@ 31) to help curb excessively high fps jumps and Scanline sync/2 to control the fps @ ~30.

That's what I ended up with as well, but I was told by some local Joe those settings were mutually exclusive.

17 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can try different values.. I have not seen any real difference..

Mine is set to -10 for what it is worth.. :wink:

Tried this and is working quite 

well. Thanks again

15 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

That's what I ended up with as well, but I was told by some local Joe those settings were mutually exclusive.

Please scratch that 'local Joe' and replace by 'a fellow simmer', sorry about my slip of the tongue.

Cheers,

I do not know who it was, but I am grateful. The blinking and flashing had me seriously thinking of XP11, so continuous and distressing was it in P3v4.5.

But regrettably I have forgotten the person but not the advice.  Go into your P34 folder, find the exe file, right click brings Properties, choose Compatibility, tick Disable Full Screen Optimisations.

This fixed it absolutely.  However, I am a firm believer in Newton's third law, and I am sure this comes with a downside.  But so far I haven't encountered one, as I tend to leave refresh rates alone.

I know it's a couple of months later, but just one comment (and one question) regarding this.

I've set up RTSS and set it to use scanline x/2 with offset -1. It limits my fps to 30 in P3D very well, and that part is great.

However, I use Chaseplane and panning around in the sim is quite stuttery. Well, stutter is probably not the right word, it doesn't "stutter" per se but the pan movement isn't smooth, it's like a microstutter every few milliseconds, if you know what I mean. Is this normal? I assume it has something to do with the 30fps?

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, bean_sprout said:

I'm not a fan of limiting my platform in anyway - to do so is old school IMO.  It is possible that the build has a limitation that needs to be accounted for but these can usually be fixed with copious amounts of $$

Cheers
bs 

If you do not limit your framerate, have you not found the disappearance of autogen after a long flight?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

On 6/22/2019 at 4:30 PM, Bert Pieke said:

You should not set both scanline sync and fps limiter.. choose one!

Leave the value at zero for the option not selected.

As for the scanline sync line, click on it to toggle to X/2 if you want to use it.

Also suggest creating a Profile for prepar3d.exe

:smile:

Hey Bert.

Guess what ? This works for MSFS 2020 too !

Vert sync is busted in it and every combo is less than perfect.

Best for me was 30 limit in vert syncv in Nvidia, vert sync on at 60 (yes 60 or it goes to 15 !) in the SIM.... and lock monitor to 30 Hz.

But now, using MSi, I can keep monitor at 60hz (reducing mouse lag) and leave all the in-sim settings OFF, ... and nothing to do in nVidia inspector.

Will report this everywhere... And link to this post.

Super smooth.

TLDr;  Scanline Sync at X/2 and set to -1.

Cheers mate. Saved my sanity !

Now can you sort out all the other issues ? 😂😂😂🥴

4 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Hey Bert.

Guess what ? This works for MSFS 2020 too !

Vert sync is busted in it and every combo is less than perfect.

Best for me was 30 limit in vert syncv in Nvidia, vert sync on at 60 (yes 60 or it goes to 15 !) in the SIM.... and lock monitor to 30 Hz.

But now, using MSi, I can keep monitor at 60hz (reducing mouse lag) and leave all the in-sim settings OFF, ... and nothing to do in nVidia inspector.

Will report this everywhere... And link to this post.

Super smooth.

TLDr;  Scanline Sync at X/2 and set to -1.

Cheers mate. Saved my sanity !

Now can you sort out all the other issues ? 😂😂😂🥴

I have tried also this approach with RTSS scanline/2 and it is working great in MSFS2020. 30fps locked, no stutters and the 1080ti usage at around 70%-80%.

Having said that it is also true that without any cap (No RTSS and No Vsync at all) I also have good and smooth performance without stutters and around 38-42FPS range. But my 1080Ti usage is at 100% all the time.

This is all running at 4k with 32Gb RAM (need to update my signature).

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.