threegreen

Upgrading CPU and GPU - need some final input

So here I am, tired of mediocre performance and having saved up to go all out this time. I'm, however, not building a completely new build but instead I want to update my current one, more precisely CPU as well as GPU. Through research and reading through threads here on avsim I came to the following plan.

My current system:

i7 6700k 4 Ghz up to 4.2, 8 MB cache
EVGA GTX 1080ti, 11 GB GDDR5x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4
ASUS Z170-K
750W PSU
Noctua NH-D15S

I'm thinking about upgrading to:

i9 9900K up to 5 GHz, 16 MB cache
RTX 2080 ti Founders Edition, 11 GB GDDR6

The crazy part in me is squinting over at the Titan RTX. If anyone has experience with this one and can compare to the 2080 ti, that would be great.

I checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151).

I'm grateful for any additional input as I'm not much into the tech side of flight simming. Thanks!

checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151)

I don't think a Z170 mobo  will support a 9xxx chip. Same socket (1151) but incompatible.  I'm pretty sure the minimum chipset will be a Z270 board. Check it to avoid a costly mistake. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

checked power supply and cooling for feasibility with the new components. The MOBO supports the i9 as well (1151)

I don't think a Z170 mobo  will support a 9xxx chip. Same socket (1151) but incompatible.  I'm pretty sure the minimum chipset will be a Z270 board. Check it to avoid a costly mistake. 

You're right, thanks.

I like the NH-D15, but I think it will be iffy trying to keep a 9900K cool at 5GHz on all 8 cores.  Since you already have it in your current system, see how it does, but in your planning be prepared to need something a little more aggressive or to back down on your target O/C.

8GB of RAM seems an undermatch to the rest of the system, too.  16GB of above average fast RAM (9ns true latency or less) would be my recommendation.

I'd prioritize things in this order:

1. mobo+CPU (Z390 and i9-9900K)

2. CPU cooler (if needed).  2x140mm or 3x120mm AIO loop or custom water loop.

3.  2x8GB fast DRAM kit (e.g. DDR4 3400MHz CAS 15, 3200MHz CAS 14 etc) or faster

4.  RTX 2180Ti video card (your 1080Ti will hold the fort down nicely if you need to wait until later in order to fill priorities above).

Regards

• Like 2

Agreed with Bob....just skip the RTX 2080 for now.  Your Ti is a solid card!  If you're going to 4K then consider an upgrade to the 2080 Ti

I'm still not entirely sure about the GPU, even though it's a load of $ I'm still checking on the Titan RTX. I'm also considering sending in my PC to the manufacturer where I built my custom system to let them do the job because changing the MOBO as well as the CPU seems out of my league. Therefore, I'd go with a new GPU as well as RAM from the start. Their system config tool checks for compatibility of each component with the other hardware. I just built what my upgraded system would be and it didn't find any conflict with regard to cooling with the Noctua plus the enclosure fan. It remains to be seen however what happens in summer when the sun is heating up the entire room.

I'm on a 4k TV already and it's not seldom that my GPU runs at 99%. In other cases where the GPU is comfortable it looks like my current CPU is a bottleneck as well.

The i9 9900K has a base frequency of 3.6 GHz in all cores. It says the turbo boost goes up to 5 GHz. Is this overclocking or would that still add on top of the 5 GHz? In any case, I was never convinced of overclocking as I keep reading about increased CPU wear.

@threegreen I am literally taking a short break from assembling my upgrade to a Z390 ASUS Hero XI with an i9 9900k, H100i AIO cooler and 32GB 3200 CAS14 ram. I’ve been using a GTX 1080Ti for about 8 months in my current system with a 4K 40” TV. I don’t plan to upgrade the GPU again unless really needed. I should be able to swap out the motherboards by tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

I think you're gonna like that setup, Bruce.   I've got one virtually identical to the one you are setting up and it runs P3D 4.x smooth as silk.   I'm looking forward to hearing how yours shakes down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm going to send my PC in tomorrow to let them put in the new hardware. I don't trust my own two left hands with this. I'm going with a 2080 ti (MSI Lightning Z) and an i9 9900K plus 16 GB of DDR4-3600 Corsair Vengeance on a Z390 Maximus XI mobo.

I'll report back as soon as I can test performance with P3D 4.4.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Too bad you don't live near me, Bruce.  I have done it for ya for a cup of espresso.  

Congrats on the hew hardware, use it in good health!

2 hours ago, Harold_Finch said:

Too bad you don't live near me, Bruce.  I have done it for ya for a cup of espresso. 

You might mean Niklas, I'm about to pull the plug on my Z97 / 4790k and install the Z390 / 9900k. It feels like preparing for a heart transplant operation though.  I would gladly provide the espresso for you to help though. I have never installed such a massive cooler and I'm a bit uneasy about windows post transplant. I plan to simply disconnect my two SSD's (one OS plus some stuff and the other P3D and add ons) and the HD, then reconnect to the new MB and boot it up. Just in case, I made a bootable USB windows media if I need to reinstall. Any advice?

@threegreen  That's an awesome system. I don't blame you for taking it in. Even though I'm experienced at building PCs, the "transplant operation" is a little anxiety producing...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

I plan to simply disconnect my two SSD's (one OS plus some stuff and the other P3D and add ons) and the HD, then reconnect to the new MB and boot it up. Just in case, I made a bootable USB windows media if I need to reinstall. Any advice?

Good thing you'll have that bootable USB drive with the Windows installer. :biggrin:  If you're going to try moving your Windows install to the new computer you might try these steps:

Before shutting down the 4790K the final time, delete all the drivers... chipset, LAN, video card.  Basically, dump all drivers associated with the old motherboard.  Take your time and be thorough... you want all those old drivers gone!

Deactivate P3D, and then remove the Client (LM has a very nice PDF on how to do it all... easy to follow).  Only the Client.  I would also not connect the P3D SSD to the new system until you've got the system running well.

When you're ready to start the new system the first time make sure it is NOT connected to the 'Net.  Last thing you want is MS installing a bunch of drivers they think you'll want! :wink: 

When you fire off the new system the first time follow the ASUS instructions for getting into the BIOS on the first boot.  A couple critical things they left out of the book... disable the WIFI (for now), and (most important) disable "Download & Install Armory Crate app" on the TOOLS page.  The latter is useless bloatware that will age you!

Once the system boots into Windows it will probably want you to confirm that you are a real owner of the OS.  Just click on "later" and go about installing all the drivers.  Start with the motherboard chipset drivers.  I like to reboot after each driver installation.  Next do the video card drivers.  Follow on with the rest of the motherboard drivers you'll need.  After all the drivers are installed deal with Windows nagging you about registering.

Once you get everything humming along nicely, the P3D Client can be installed and sim reactivated.

For your XI Hero, Spector/Meltdown mitigation was introduced in BIOS 0805.

Good luck... looking forward to how these 9900K system builds go!

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@lownslo Greg, thanks for all that awesome advice! Printing it out. Now it's a little more intimidating but I'm sure I can work through it.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, bbuckley said:

@threegreen I am literally taking a short break from assembling my upgrade to a Z390 ASUS Hero XI with an i9 9900k, H100i AIO cooler and 32GB 3200 CAS14 ram. I’ve been using a GTX 1080Ti for about 8 months in my current system with a 4K 40” TV. I don’t plan to upgrade the GPU again unless really needed. I should be able to swap out the motherboards by tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes. 

How did it go?

5 hours ago, threegreen said:

How did it go?

I got detoured a bit over this US holiday weekend. And last week I was dealing with REX EF issues.  My 4790k is running pretty good so I’m a little afraid of pulling the plug. The new board is ready to put in the case.  Will advise!

• Like 1

@threegreen Just finished the upgrade build and it's awesome! Build went very smooth and start up and re-activation of P3D was incredibly smooth. The VC is amazingly crisp & clear. I haven't tried any overclocking of anything yet so I think I still have some headroom. Temps and utilizations are looking great but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

@lownslo Greg, thanks so much for your advice and help!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congrats Bruce!! 🥂 Glad it all went well for you... you've got a wonderful simming machine to fly with now!

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

...but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

Lot's of that always going on here. :biggrin:

Greg

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, bbuckley said:

@threegreen Just finished the upgrade build and it's awesome! Build went very smooth and start up and re-activation of P3D was incredibly smooth. The VC is amazingly crisp & clear. I haven't tried any overclocking of anything yet so I think I still have some headroom. Temps and utilizations are looking great but I need to do flight testing in the next few days.

Have you had time to do some testing?

I'd be interested in hearing how it performs because I still can't see for myself on my system. It arrived back at my place but Murphy's law struck and the GPU is broken. Need to send it back again so they put in a card that works this time...

6 hours ago, threegreen said:

Have you had time to do some testing?

Oh yes! I’ve been flying it for some time now. Awesome! I don’t try to push FPS, in fact I use RTSS to externally synch to scanline x/2 and I keep my 40” 4K TV set to 60hz. Even at my toughest sceneries I get the 30ish FPS expected and very smooth. The antialiasing is superb and the scenery loading is great. You’re gonna love it!

Bruce

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Oh yes! I’ve been flying it for some time now. Awesome! I don’t try to push FPS, in fact I use RTSS to externally synch to scanline x/2 and I keep my 40” 4K TV set to 60hz. Even at my toughest sceneries I get the 30ish FPS expected and very smooth. The antialiasing is superb and the scenery loading is great. You’re gonna love it!

That sounds awesome. What settings level do you use in P3D and what sceneries are the ones you describe as your toughest?

40 minutes ago, threegreen said:

That sounds awesome. What settings level do you use in P3D and what sceneries are the ones you describe as your toughest?

P3D settings pg1

P3D settings pg2

P3D settings pg3

I think Turbulent L35 and LVFR KSNA are the toughest. I have a lot of ORBX stuff, Base, LC, vector and several regions (but not SOCAL) and a bunch of airports.

Right now I have HT on and I'm using AffinityMask=65533  /// 1111 1111 1111 1101    and run my addons in a bat with affinity FFF0   1111 1111 1111 0000. I know most people say turn HT off and no AM in P3D with this many cores but it just seems to load sceneries faster with it on for me. I'll keep playing with it. I also use FFTF Dynamic in the AGL mode. Too much info? 😁

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

You're settings are way higher than mine at the moment, especially autogen. I'm hoping I'll be able to crank them up. Not all the way but similar to yours. Do you fly GA or airliners?

I use 4xSSAA (except when at an airport with dynamic lighting). Is 8xMSAA so much better on your system?

20 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Too much info? 😁

Almost 😉. I never bothered too much about this sort of settings so I don't use AM and HT is on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

Do you fly GA or airliners?

GA all the time. Sometimes a Bonanza sometimes a Phenom 100.

I haven't really tried to compare 4xSSAA vs 8xMSAA very much. I think 8xMSAA looks better for me.

4 hours ago, bbuckley said:

GA all the time. Sometimes a Bonanza sometimes a Phenom 100.

I haven't really tried to compare 4xSSAA vs 8xMSAA very much. I think 8xMSAA looks better for me.

Thanks, appreciate the input.