Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

42 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I'm always curious why everybody is so curious about ATC.  Why would you want in-game ATC when you can have VATSIM?  Literally curious.  

Because VATSIM isn't always available for every region and airport that you may want to use. Unlike the real world, there's no guarantee that the controller you want to talk to will be there.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

16 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

I share your concerns in regards to the orthoscenery.  Actually, I've personally never been a huge fan of it.  ORBX Trueearth has changed my view on this as they've been able to combine, or so it seems to me, orthoscenery with landclass, vector scenery, night lighting, airports, etc.  I'm hoping that the new MSFS will use this approach.  Hopefully they can improve the 3D trees which just don't look good.

I admit to being impressed by Orbx GB South (only one I've tried) in many areas. They seem to have solved the "can't see the ground" texture problem when landing a helicopter off-airport by patching in landclass textures. The UK-unique buildings and landmarks look great, and I like seeing cars driving on the left side of the road.

It still has many artifacts though, if you look for them (and I guess I'm naturally inclined to do that), like squashed car parks and the stretched bitmaps on cliff sides.

I think the seasonal changes can be implemented using shading techniques such as texture color changes.  Add to that accumulating snow, wet surfaces, and changing autogen vegetation and you have seasonal changes without having to have 5 separate texture sets. 

You may be right. We haven't seen an attempt yet at AI-driven, automated doctoring of orthos used as terrain. In theory that could work.

Of course, if software goes far enough in that direction and it has enough data to work with, it could just process the data and build accurate landclass textures and 3D buildings on the fly as well. Maybe just using orthophotos as a guide, and not what we actually end up seeing on the ground.

Along with tracking seasons, this "stream and build scenery on the fly" approach would have the advantage of being constantly updated to represent the real world based on the latest satellite imagery, compared to the "snapshot" we have now with orthophoto-based scenery.

Interesting times ahead.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I think that the only immediate impact of the MS announcement is that it will put a damper on add-on purchases for existing flightsims. Who wants to invest in new airports, scenery and utilities when in another 6 months or so, the existing flightsims could be outdated? MS controls both the Windows OS and the XBox constellation so no matter what platform is chosen, MS will have a major advantage over everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

On 6/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, ckyliu said:

@majuhFlight was limited to Hawaii, then you could buy a few other areas, I never heard of anything importing the world from FSX? There was no ILS, NDB, VOR when I tried it, is this something they added later as a pay feature? The weather I don't really recall. 

RE: nav capability: Flight had a great instrument capability for ILS/VOR approaches, but didn't have NDB or GPS. I believe there was also a scenario for the RV-6A flying the ILS into OGG on Maui if I remember  (been a while).

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I would like to close with the remark that up to the very end of the Microsoft franchise NONE of their simulators made it possible to even do a simple, basic maneuver as a side-slip in one of their default aircraft. I firmly believe that their new version will cater to and satisfy the part of the userbase that is more into eye candy and great scenery. But I am afraid that the serious simulation aviator will find this new entry lacking in other important aspects.

Just my personal opinion.

Jan

Sorry to contradict, Janov but I had no trouble performing slips in Microsoft Flight with the default aircraft, yoke, and rudder pedals.  But, this is in the past.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 hours ago, adi518 said:

As far as performance goes, I'm sure if Aerofly figured it out, then so have Microsoft. P3D is outdated and nothing will really change that. The fundamentals are just bad. I was really surprised to find out Orbx has nothing to do with this. I also find it hard to believe MS is going to deliver complex aircraft with full systems, as we know how much time these things take to develop. Now, I also think I saw some mentions over collaborating with add-on creators. I believe FlyTampa and Flightbeam are involved, but I might be wrong. It's fun to speculate, but let's see what happens.

Nah, Mir said in this thread, he had no idea.

UAL537.png

Clear Skies,

Brandon Mckay

Hopeful, yet I hope they learnt from the numerous “flight simulator” themed franchises in the last 10 years when the last official Microsoft Flight Simulator version FSX is released.

Hope Microsoft learns from its own mistakes from Flight, and Dovetails Flight Sim World.

This new platform is only going to gain community support if proper 3rd party developers do their work (e.g. PMDG, FSL, Orbx etc), and Microsoft allow them to charge a fair price for what they put in without taking a monetary bite off their profit. 

No 3rd party development = dead in the water. 

Chen Chen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

PMDG 777/747/NGX, FSL A320, QW 787, MJQ400, VRS F/A-18E

Since I'm getting involved in 3D modeling for P3D and XP, I took a closer look at the video being presented, as pointed out it is very "google" earth like in how objects are generated.  The video was made with "quick" clips not allowing for too much time let a scene sink in so I made some freeze frames showing some of the issues:

AI Road Traffic Issue
uc?id=1gDsKmqpleia2FApR9r1xuSW9WRq1WSUo
AI Road Traffic Issue Zoomed (floating above terrain and driving thru each other same issues as we have now)
uc?id=19N8i_0af4R5s7qqPl4H9pdse9qa1Vjng
Odd Tree Textures and Building Top Sat Dish
uc?id=1kmZ2X9uGSZjW6Q93wvHHvTrqz9pPhd8K
Odd Tree Textures and Building Top Sat Dish - Zoomed
uc?id=1pLKDxXrPSa9MlHT6vPJ28vmpT4CzeblH
Runway Under Water
uc?id=1XxLKsTOTlD0ubqy4ApiYMiX5ibVAF-RD
Runway Under Water Zoomed

uc?id=1UuPIoYpWx3ROCDGAixcFihr94DLg4BZr

I'm not trying to be negative at all but I'm sure some will take it that way ... but I know if I can see it everyone else will eventually see the issues also.  It's obviously a compromised solution which is fine and will fit the bill for some and not others.  

If you take a look at the airports in the video, they are clearly of much higher quality and hand crafted ... since I doubt Microsoft could have created 40,000 airports world wide with higher detail custom models, then it's very likely they will be available as DLC at a later date ... if DLC exists, then it's highly likely an SDK will exist ... so the question I'm most interested in ... will the SDK be made available to those of us (myself included) that would like to produce content for this product?  

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, silentghostx said:

Hopeful, yet I hope they learnt from the numerous “flight simulator” themed franchises in the last 10 years when the last official Microsoft Flight Simulator version FSX is released.

Hope Microsoft learns from its own mistakes from Flight, and Dovetails Flight Sim World.

This new platform is only going to gain community support if proper 3rd party developers do their work (e.g. PMDG, FSL, Orbx etc), and Microsoft allow them to charge a fair price for what they put in without taking a monetary bite off their profit. 

If they'll have a real game changer which is a completely new simulator which will make people instantly drop P3D or XP, they'll dictate the market and find someone else who'll develop for their platform. Money talks.

Jacek G.

@Rob_Ainscough

All good stuff Rob.

I don't personally find it negative at all, especially since we are talking about something probably a full year from being released.  I definitely wouldn't expect the teaser video contents to be fully fleshed out at this time.

To me the rest of the visuals alone are enough to excited about for right now.

I personally think this will be 3rd party extensible and likely kill P3D for "academic" users in the long run.  To me this development is great, because as much as I love X-Plane, I'm getting tired of waiting for their under resourced development timelines.

I want much better weather and ATC and performance with modern hardware (and VR), etc, etc -- like yesterday.

Edited by irrics

Some odd tree stuff aside, here's what I'm looking at (in red circle)

The cityscape looks breathtaking..

MO44pBy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There may be some odd stuff here and there, but generally speaking, those trees and buildings and how it all goes together is - incredible...

DzuXhi9.png

oKvEPmr.png

Edited by irrics
  • Like 3

First off, I think that the future will be cloud based scenery ... and if MSFT are smart, they will allow for customized aircraft, scenery, and other utilities to plug into the engine and perhaps MSFT allows purchases of beyond base level scenery ... in effect becoming a competitor for Orbx and mesh providers ... or supporting those developers while maintaining some subscription flow in exchange for constantly updating real world features and incremental improvements that are delivered via the cloud...and I could also see how you could accommodate a cloud-based server for worldwide scenery that allows for localized customization by the development commnity. I am currently using a 2TB m2 drive and I find that exceeding 1GB in aircraft and scenery loadout is probably not the smartest path forward and when highly detailed environments like True Earth Netherlands occupy 70+ GB of space...all too early of course to know anything, but if they don't screw up the business model by failing to recognize the needs of the serious hobbyist, this looks (albeit in a preview) much better than any current flight environment I have seen.

• Upvote 2

Scott Robinson

19 minutes ago, silentghostx said:

You really think that in 2020, MS will not monopolize the DLC for this game? What major game developer allows tons of 3rd party DLC? That's where the money is. And seriously, MS is not DTG.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2