Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

23 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Well I'm going to be very cynical, sorry to be a downer but I'm very doubtful there'll anything to hold the attention of us proper flight simmers. It's a pretty video but we've seen this all before from Microsoft with Flight, aimed at casual gamers and revenue heavily dependent based on MS selling a lot of rushed DLC, probably ortho sceneries looking at that video. There'll be a few select places where it looks very pretty and detailed like the video (I'm not convinced that airport stuff is in-game footage), then everything else will likely be rubbish and/or cost extra. It'll either run roughly or there'll be no systems depth, especially as Xbox One isn't all that powerful. Wouldn't be surprised if third party developers are entirely locked out the ecosystem or have to pay licensing to MS to have it distributed via their platform.

EDIT: wondering if it'll be cloud based photo scenery, with the whole game on a subscription basis. On the plus side graphics suggest a possible evolution of the game engine used in Flight which seemed pretty solid but lacking in content. But a clean break to something like Unigine or Outerra engines might be better.

If you are going to feel down then it's all on you. There will be many people who will enjoy this simulator for what it is AND still play there studysim simulators. Anyway don't you think MS have learnt a lesson or two and quite frankly have you actually seen what's in this video, God almighty it's incredible. I'm sure Microsoft are well aware of the mess that was Flight and I would be absolutelty astonished if studysim aircraft didn't make it into MS Flight Simulator 2020 but if they do not I'm still super excited to try something a little different and very pretty. I don't know why Xbox One has been mentioned, I've not seen anything confirmed on that platform (new Xbox maybe?) however it's absolutely possible to have study simulations and to have it on an Xbox, why not?

Oh and I did enjoyed MS Fight too.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Montie said:

I don't believe Cloud gaming will ever take off. Streaming RD2 from my XBOX to PC on my local network is awful in quality, I doubt Cloud gaming will ever catch on.

I suppose you thought mobile phones where a waste of time as well... Thankfully you live on a flat earth so it will be easy to render your world right?... As for MS Flight Simulator 2020 we don't know how the satilite imagery gets to the screen. You may have to pay for each area and download it? Lets wait for the facts 😀

Edited by dtrjones
reacting to comment.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I suppose you thought mobile phones where a waste of time as well...

Now that you bring it up......😂

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Quick heads up to add to the speculation of developers being engaged with the development of the sim - PMDG don't seem to be among them, if there are any. See Kyle Rodger's response.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/14058-pmdg-are-you-guys-gonna-develop-for-ms-flight-simulator-2019-d

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/features/planes/

Interesting, but I think they are all placeholders.

Yes definately placeholders, I think the only conclusions we can draw are planes in the video have a good chance of making it into the sim. I doubt Concorde will make it or the wright flyers but we'll see. I wouldn't be suprised if they have a cut down version of planes in FSX (with maybe a suprise or two) but with more fidelity not study sim by any means but of a reasonable quality for todays standards.

3 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Now that you bring it up......😂

Well if you put it that way LOL!!!!

And now, as something of a counterpoint to why I thought a subscription model would be good for both MS and the 3rd Party aircraft developers.... here's today's Penny Arcade comic. It's about Google's Stadia, but has some relevance to the subscription/streaming concept:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Google has a history of killing off its pet projects, which is why this is funny. But then so does Microsoft, twice now with flight sims. It's not an issue if this new FS is self-contained, with only a few default aircraft. You'd fly it and maybe even pay a subscription as long as you enjoyed it. But would you also collect a bunch of 3rd party payware aircraft that depended on the platform to work at all?

Standard disclaimers about how we don't now much about this new FS yet, or what the situation will be for 3rd party devs. We're just shootin' the breeze here until more info is available.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

For xbox? Wont be anything special!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Just now, YukonPete said:

Please dont....not again...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

4 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

Priceless..Just Priceless...😂

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Man we have so many Debbie Downers posting on this thread.  

1.  No-one here has to spend on cent on anything except voluntarily.

2.  Microsoft gave us the opportunity to learn how to use Flight Simulation and the products have grown from a small Sublogic product to ALL of the products we now used to simulate flight.

3.  Have patience Grasshopper.  The picture will clear up over time, meanwhile do what you were doing before this announcement for a FUTURE product.

I personally,. am looking forward and hope it is a great product.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

As far as performance goes, I'm sure if Aerofly figured it out, then so have Microsoft. P3D is outdated and nothing will really change that. The fundamentals are just bad. I was really surprised to find out Orbx has nothing to do with this. I also find it hard to believe MS is going to deliver complex aircraft with full systems, as we know how much time these things take to develop. Now, I also think I saw some mentions over collaborating with add-on creators. I believe FlyTampa and Flightbeam are involved, but I might be wrong. It's fun to speculate, but let's see what happens.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, adi518 said:

Now, I also think I saw some mentions over collaborating with add-on creators. I believe FlyTampa and Flightbeam are involved, but I might be wrong. It's fun to speculate, but let's see what happens.

Subtract Flightbeam, there was a negative statetement by Mir somewhere among the 1000+ posts I saw on the topic.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11