Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

While those are very good news, monopolies are never to be desired, so i hope there is competition. Without XP11 we might not have had the implementation of PBR and 64 bits on P3D. 

I also believe that DCS is in a completely different league. Most civilian simmers are not interested in combat flight simulation and vice-versa.

Therefore, I don’t see how DCS is affected by this, especially when you take into consideration the exceptional quality and complexity of some of its add-ons and what is in the pipeline for that sim (F-16, new Nimitz Carrier with military-grade ATC communications, dynamic campaigns, etc). MSFS is not competing with that...

You may be correct concerning how MSFS affects DCS, XP was fortunate that MS Flight came along. But also DCS has VR and HQ graphics/add-ons going for it to make it popular; without that combat flight sims have never been able to compete with MSFS. Now that it appears MSFS may exceed in those qualities/features DCS excels at...we wait and see. 

Concerning monopolies, your caution about them is valid is most cases, but in flight simulation the simmers rule, that has been proven. It does not matter if there is a single developer or a million developers. The end result required by simmers will always prevail. In other words in flight simulation, simmers are the monopoly, but we humbly exert our authority, and we love our wonderful developers.

It's rare to see a huge company approach its past and potential customers like that!

Apologies accepted, now onwards and upwards! 

• Like 5

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Whilst I've used X-Plane for many years (after dropping FSX and only sporadically using P3D), if this sim is better then this will easily become one of main sims. I've never understood the loyalty to a particular sim, I'll happily cheat on X-Plane if the other-side is better looking 😎(Disclaimer in case she's reading, I wouldn't do this to my partner 😃)

X-Plane has been marketed as an engineering-tool (basically Austin's playground for modelling planes), so no doubt it will maintain that and won't disappear, but if they want to compete they'll have to start giving things like weather and visuals a priority. P3D I'm sure will drop in popularity as people go back to MSFS after a few years when their addons appear, but I'm sure it won't disappear either.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I want high fidelity GA aircraft (incl choppers), historical aircraft, good AI ATC and good European scenery and airports. Otherwise, if a new engine, and excellent US-centric scenery was my thing I would be using Aerofly FS2 already.

Until the above is in place, I will not bother with MSFS, especially not with a subscription. Maybe many others will do the same, then this will affect sales, profit and in the worst case development effort (both MS and 3rd party).

In the meantime P3D, XPlane and Aerofly will certainly do some catch up. 

Like others I really hope that MSFS uses a completely new engine. I also hope Aerosoft is already involved in MSFS. I have a high regard for their aircraft. This would shorten the process to get some high-fidelity aircraft into the sim.

Regarding European scenery I am not so sure 3rd parties will be supported because I still believe this will be streamed, I wonder if I ever will see correct placed small non-ICAO bush fields, moving windmills, masts and a lot of POIs in Bing Maps.   

We'll see in a couple of years. MSFS certainly looks very promising. But so does Aerofly.

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

Imagine if Microsoft releases Yokes & pedals?

Now THAT will be interesting indeed!

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

53 minutes ago, pracines said:

You may be correct concerning how MSFS affects DCS, XP was fortunate that MS Flight came along. But also DCS has VR and HQ graphics/add-ons going for it to make it popular; without that combat flight sims have never been able to compete with MSFS. Now that it appears MSFS may exceed in those qualities/features DCS excels at...we wait and see. 

Concerning monopolies, your caution about them is valid is most cases, but in flight simulation the simmers rule, that has been proven. It does not matter if there is a single developer or a million developers. The end result required by simmers will always prevail. In other words in flight simulation, simmers are the monopoly, but we humbly exert our authority, and we love our wonderful developers.

I don’t agree with “never” above. Do you remember the DiD games like ef2000 and f22 - they were huge games. They just don’t make that sort of combat sim anymore. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Imagine if Microsoft releases Yokes & pedals?

Now THAT will be interesting indeed!

They do make hardware for gaming, aka Xbox, and it will run the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. I doubt it, but wouldn't rule it out. Did they have a joystick at one time? Or am I wrong? They make keyboards 🙂

Edited by Learjet777

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Better to be proven wrong of a kinda pessimistic view than be proven wrong of an optimistic view.

Healthy pessimism is absolutely fine, its even beneficial as it helps to maintain a level headed approach

Negativity on the other hand....

Thank you MS, i knew you can be trusted

The statement clearly indicates that this is more about passion and the love for aviation rather than just balance sheets,  I really hope this creates a much more positive spirit in the community.

We wouldn't have been on the moon without passion and open mindedness...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Learjet777 said:

They do make hardware for gaming, aka Xbox, and it will run the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. I doubt it, but wouldn't rule it out. Did they have a joystick at one time? Or am I wrong? They make keyboards 🙂

They do/did make hardware for the current Xbox, & did a joystick as well. Yes, also mice & keyboards, but Yoke & pedals for the yet unreleased Xbox One could be a winner.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

10 minutes ago, Learjet777 said:

Did they have a joystick at one time?

They had a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick and it was excellent.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I still have my sidewinder stick.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just now, rjfry said:

I still have my sidewinder stick.

Still using it Raymond, or is it on a shelf like mine?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Thank you MS, i knew you can be trusted

The statement clearly indicates that this is more about passion and the love for aviation rather than just balance sheets,  I really hope this creates a much more positive spirit in the community.

We wouldn't have been on the moon without passion and open mindedness...

Lol... it is all about money & how to monetize their 63 million Xbox users.. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Just now, dmiannay said:

Still using it Raymond, or is it on a shelf like mine?

I use it for editing with ADE CAD files linked to the sim to slew around.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg